DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I made the original recipe DB and I'm sorry to say but so far I'm not a fan.

So, out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like?
What are your usual preferences for wine?
I've never made Dragons Blood, and was just about to explain elementary winemaking using DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have used EC-1118 from the very beginning. Rehydrated in warm water just like instructed on the package. I am yet to have a problem getting one started. I've also done cooler ferments (in the mid 60F), it just takes longer to get going. Between the two (warn vs cool), I prefer the outcome of a warm ferment.

I used an online calculator to determine the alcohol content and it said my Dragon's Blood is 25%! Starting SG 1.170, ending SG .990. Could that be right? If so, no wonder I have a headache today!

I used an online calculator to determine the alcohol content and it said my Dragon's Blood is 25%! Starting SG 1.170, ending SG .990. Could that be right? If so, no wonder I have a headache today!

That starting SG seems way high to me if you pretty much followed the DB recipe. How many cups of sugar did you add to the primary? BTW, the calculator I used gave me 23.62 ABV.

Last edited:

GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY! What yeast did you use??

Used EC 1118 yeast and 10 pounds of sugar to 6 gallons. Maybe I am not reading my SG right or something... I've made 4 batches and they all started at the same. Maybe it was 1.070. either way, it is still a head case!

Used EC 1118 yeast and 10 pounds of sugar to 6 gallons. Maybe I am not reading my SG right or something... I've made 4 batches and they all started at the same. Maybe it was 1.070.

That's less than two pound of sugar per gallon. I think you're likely misreading it, and it probably was 1.070. Unless you used sugar frosted cap'n crunch for fruit.

Hmm... Cap'n crunch berries wine... Note to self: tell no one of your brilliant idea lest it fall into the wrong hands.
Muahahaha...

Barb, have you tried your DB? Did it taste like flavored vodka? I think EC-1118 has a high alcohol tolerance, but isn't it only like 18%?

jojabri said:
GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!
Lmao

Last edited:

If you stared with 1.170' there is no way you would have fermented out at .990. There is no yeast that would get you there.

I agree I think it was probably 1.070. When first starting out it can be a little confusing on reading a hydrometer.

A simple calculation to determine ABV is sg - fg x 131

I got a free alcohol calculator app so I don't have to do math :)

My DB spent 2 weeks in the secondary and cleared very nicely. I racked it into another carboy to get it off the lees. I noticed that there were some small floaties getting into the racking cane during the transfer. If I rack the DB through a funnel / cheese cloth to remove some floaters prior to bottling, do I risk oxidation at this point?

I followed the recipe to the letter.

Thanks!

My DB spent 2 weeks in the secondary and cleared very nicely. I racked it into another carboy to get it off the lees. I noticed that there were some small floaties getting into the racking cane during the transfer. If I rack the DB through a funnel / cheese cloth to remove some floaters prior to bottling, do I risk oxidation at this point?

I followed the recipe to the letter.

Thanks!
I use a funnel with a small fine wire strainer every time I rack, in case there is any large micron stuff - you could even use it as you are bottling which I also do, why bother another full racking if it don't need it.

I keep telling myself one day I'm going to juryrig something permanent
(funnel and filter and hose) fused and secure so I don't have to manually hold it - haven't done it yet.

If I rack stuff extra times I always add a little l extra suphide.

The last few post are confusing me... Have you guys added a step to the DB directions to rack to secondary? When the instructions have you remove the fruit pack you're not staying in the primary bucket but racking for more fermentation and then racking again for stabilization, degassing and clearing? I've been staying in the primary bucket until my DB goes dry as this is how I interpret Dave's instructions. Anyway I can see how both procedures would work and give equally good results.

Thanx...

It would be an option for some if they desired, to rack to a carboy at around SG 1.010 or so. Some folks prefer to do it that way. As per the recipe, I always ferment dry in the primary, if anything, just to keep it simple.

Yep that's what I do when I remove the fruit bag I stay in bucket until it goes dry then into carboy. After it goes dry and I get the same reading 3 days in a row

It would be an option for some if they desired, to rack to a carboy at around SG 1.010 or so. Some folks prefer to do it that way. As per the recipe, I always ferment dry in the primary, if anything, just to keep it simple.

Me like simple.
smilie.gif

So, out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like?
What are your usual preferences for wine?
I've never made Dragons Blood, and was just about to explain elementary winemaking using DB.

I made my first batch exactly to the recipe. I just don't think it has much flavor so I added a pound of raisins and some lemon zest to try and help it. I also added the juices from 3lbs of berries It has now been 2 months and it is ok to drink but I don't. My wife says she will drink it but I was just going to poor it down the drain. Over all I would say its drinkable but I have better wines to drink instead. I will drink any wine I don't have a preference I drink island mist kits one week then drink Joseph Phelps Backus Cab the next. I guess the only wines I don't like are white zin and I would compare my first batch of DB to white zin.

I'm currently giving it another chance but this time did a mixed fruit and did 14lbs of fruit hoping for more flavor. I just racked it for the first time so we will see.

Last edited:
The last few post are confusing me... Have you guys added a step to the DB directions to rack to secondary? When the instructions have you remove the fruit pack you're not staying in the primary bucket but racking for more fermentation and then racking again for stabilization, degassing and clearing? I've been staying in the primary bucket until my DB goes dry as this is how I interpret Dave's instructions. Anyway I can see how both procedures would work and give equally good results.

Thanx...

I never leave anything in an open primary after the primary ferment is done ie when the SG stabilizes , no visible activity and no more protective layer of CO2 is being emitted. No point giving oxidation exposure.

That means never longer than 7 days in an open air primary. Into the protective carboy or gallon jugs at day 7 or sooner.
It's worked out is is always day 7 though some of them could have been day 6.

Then I can do the next process step(s) at my leisure it's in the carboy,it's protected.

If the ph is too low or TA is off can that cause the yeast to not start fermenting ? I tired to make my first batch of DB about a week ago and have added 3 packets of yeast and so far no activity. I'm puzzled. I've made about 6 kits and 4 juice buckets without any problem with them fermenting. Sg is still at 1.072

Thanks

Back