DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My blackcurrant DB. Had to rack it today after moving it to a carboy yesterday as there was a ton of sediment (didn't bag the berries). Ahh well, topped it off with the left overs - still have a pint left. Tomorrow I will add some bentonite because why not?

Yep cute guy!

What size is that carboy? 4-5 litres?

Yeah, he insisted in being in the photo, of course! And that is about 5.6lt when filled to the top of the shoulder. But I have a 23lt on the way for some feijoa wine making soon!

I bottled a blue blood about a month ago. Chilled one down and am trading it today. I am almost surprised. Very blueberry trading, with just a hint of lemon. Very tasty. I did use more than normal amount of berries. Probably 30 lbs for 6 gallons.

"trading"? I don't understand.

Thanx...

Yeah, he insisted in being in the photo, of course! And that is about 5.6lt when filled to the top of the shoulder. But I have a 23lt on the way for some feijoa wine making soon!

Yeah, There were three kids hanging around here last summer - they got underfoot wanting to "help" me with all my repairs - lol.
I wonder where that goes when they get older?

Ok so a 5.6 l = 1.5 gal US carboy. A good size for small batches.

Didn't see that before thanks.

In the smaller department, I got 3.2 and 4.2 litre wine jugs

Question for all the veterans. I am making DB. 60 oz lemon juice, 6 lb triple berry blend and 20 c sugar. Sg 1.072. Pitched a suspect year a few days ago. Initially I put in a packet of 1118 that was shipped to me but I didn't open the package for four days. So not sure if yeast was bad. It didn't look like any fermentation as of today at about noon so I put another packet of 1118 from lhbs, this time rehydrated in 105 degree f water. As of now still now signs of ferm. Any ideas? I'm going to check sg again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

*Pitched a suspect packet of yeast a few days ago

*Pitched a suspect packet of yeast a few days ago

Shrive22--what is your starting temperature at? Ive had issues with that type of yeast when the temp is too low, ( below 68 degrees F) try warming the carboy up with a heat belt or electric pad if its too cold and see if that helps. Also, you may need to add a bit more yeast nutrient or yeast energizer if the temp thing does not work.

Last edited:
Dear DB diary: Didn't add any bentonite in the primary of mine so am adding tonight along with k-meta and k-sorb (SG stable at 0.992) and then degas time. A fun evening planned =)

Edit: I went ahead and did this. I was still frothing bubbles 30 minutes after I started and gave up at that point. It will be what it will be!

Last edited:
Shrive22--what is your starting temperature at? Ive had issues with that type of yeast when the temp is too low, ( below 68 degrees F) try warming the carboy up with a heat belt or electric pad if its too cold and see if that helps. Also, you may need to add a bit more yeast nutrient or yeast energizer if the temp thing does not work.

Cheesehead, that may be my problem. I think the temps are in mid 60s. I'm going to check tonight after work and take sg reading. Thanks.

Question for all the veterans. I am making DB. 60 oz lemon juice, 6 lb triple berry blend and 20 c sugar. Sg 1.072. Pitched a suspect year a few days ago. Initially I put in a packet of 1118 that was shipped to me but I didn't open the package for four days. So not sure if yeast was bad. It didn't look like any fermentation as of today at about noon so I put another packet of 1118 from lhbs, this time rehydrated in 105 degree f water. As of now still now signs of ferm. Any ideas? I'm going to check sg again tomorrow.

Make a yeast starter - guarantee the yeast is going - I usually get EC1118 frothing in a small pop bottle in a few hours. This way you are sure the yeast is OK. You see the reaction in the pop bottle , lees dropping to bottom, foam or bubbles - when reaction dies down add more stuff to pop bottle and observe response.

Yeast starter = (sugar + yeast nutrient + Yeast energizer (optional) + yeast + hot (not too hot) tap water + Kleenex stuffed as stopper + warm dark place ( I throw a towel over it). I use a 600 ml or 1 litre clear pop bottle so I can see what is happening in there.

Then add a little of the must an see what happens - if reacts positive - must is ready can add more and more to starter or to must observing reactions.
Can also add yeast energizer to the must.
I always see a visible reaction within a few hours or less - so long as I see it bubbling and sparkling or experience a face-full of CO2 when sniff - especially after a stir I don't bother taking the SG again till I see activity die down..

Give primary must a stir and a lot of stirs and air exposure if suspect sulphides are in it from the fruit and other person said make sure room and must temp is over 70 degrees you may have put fruit packs in while still cold?

I found Sketter Pee with full lemon no problem to ferment as well as DB two times - .

Latest posts

Back