DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: I started a strawberry DB on Friday using the exact recipe with no alterations. Is it too late to add an additional 1/2 bottle of lemon juice? Of it isn't, how should I add it to not kill off the yeast.

The fermentation is VERY active.

Remember guys peaches don't carry to strong of flavor in wines so it might be a good idea to bump the amount up a little, also peaches drop a ton of lees. Just a little thought on the idea, but sounds like a good idea.

I always follow direction , so 48 Oz.
Which was never an issue when drinking early, but when it ages for a good period it changes a lot.
I am starting to think my SP ages better than my BD!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Perhaps less lemon juice? Just tasting some of my dragonette but I think I added extra acid blend than called for and it has a nice balance.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1397437818.280059.jpg

Bearded Dragon approved. He had some licks Friday night, woke up Saturday am a little grumpy and agitated, but seemed curious enough to want some more tonight.

I am so excited to say I FINALLY CAN DRINK! That means I finally get to taste my DB that I bottled 3 weeks ago! I've given away quite a few bottles taste unknown and gotten compliments on it. Now I know. I have to say it is a bit like a sangria, now I used a quad berry, I find the blackberry flavor very prominent, but overall a very smooth drinker.

That's great! I can easily afford this hobby [even though I'll sometimes "complain" about being on a fixed income]; I just happen to be frugal. I think it is kind of a fun challenge to keep the cost down. Maybe half of the good taste of DB comes from its being so relatively inexpensive? :mny

For the future - whites, blushes and DB that are to stay in the house I can use dark glass to help keep the cost down. Some folks will hand me back the bottles when they've finished the wine I've given them BUT I WILL NEVER ASK FOR THE BOTTLE BACK.

I'm pretty good about following the admonition of "give expecting nothing in return". But what a thrill and blessing it is when someone expresses a heart felt appreciation for what you've done for or given them.

If I could afford this hobby I would make everything in a Blichmann Wine Easy and pour glasses of wine from small tapped french oak barrels.

I spend a ton on wine making equipment, but totally nerd out on how cheap I can make a bottle of wine that tastes great. My time in each bottle makes it uneconomical.

If I could afford this hobby I would make everything in a Blichmann Wine Easy and pour glasses of wine from small tapped french oak barrels.

I spend a ton on wine making equipment, but totally nerd out on how cheap I can make a bottle of wine that tastes great. My time in each bottle makes it uneconomical.

No offense but winemaking is a hobby and is to be enjoyed in ones "free time". The money invested in wine making equipment quickly recovered by the low cost of the wine being produced. Most of it will last a lifetime. If I ever decide to give up winemaking I could sell my equipment and recover most of my investment back. Sure I could spend extra hours at work and make enough money to buy all the wine I could ever want. But I enjoy making wine. To each his own

Have I mentioned lately how awesome I think you all are? Creative, industrious, resourceful, frugal. What a great group!

You are all great source of pride and encouragement to me!

I thank you all, from the bottom of my glass...I mean, heart! :b

Have I mentioned lately how awesome I think you all are? Creative, industrious, resourceful, frugal. What a great group!

You are all great source of pride and encouragement to me!

I thank you all, from the bottom of my glass...I mean, heart! :b

Sensei, it is we "grasshoppers" that ought to be paying homage to you.
smilie.gif

Question: I started a strawberry DB on Friday using the exact recipe with no alterations. Is it too late to add an additional 1/2 bottle of lemon juice? Of it isn't, how should I add it to not kill off the yeast.

The fermentation is VERY active.

Not sure if you have done this or not, but it is ok to add that additional lemon juice.

My first batch of dragon blood. Light in body and taste. Hope it will Improve with a little bit of age. Made it for my wife so it is sweeter than I like. Started this late feb. I even did a fpac. Gonna try a straight blackberry and make it dry next batch. Start that this weekend at the latest.

1397524383129.jpg

My first batch of dragon blood. Light in body and taste. Hope it will Improve with a little bit of age. Made it for my wife so it is sweeter than I like. Started this late feb. I even did a fpac. Gonna try a straight blackberry and make it dry next batch. Start that this weekend at the latest.

Looks very nice !!

Hello gang!! got a question regarding a batch of pineapple-mango-peach-strawberry with pineapple and orange juice base that isnt clearing as fast as i thought it should. I pitched the yeast on 3-29 -SG was 1.080 and on 4-2-14 sg was .990 racked , added k-meta and k-sorb. then sparkalloid per instructions. on 4-12 was still cloudy probably due to pectin haze, so i added more pectin enzyme, still no change, racked off lees on 4-14 tried a round of super kleer, doesnt look like any difference so my question is how many times can i add pectin enzyme and clearing agents before i trash this batch it was thoroughly degassed via all in one vacuum pump 2x so i can say with a degree of certainty that that wasnt the problem, any help here would be appreciated.

Hello gang!! got a question regarding a batch of pineapple-mango-peach-strawberry with pineapple and orange juice base that isnt clearing as fast as i thought it should. I pitched the yeast on 3-29 -SG was 1.080 and on 4-2-14 sg was .990 racked , added k-meta and k-sorb. then sparkalloid per instructions. on 4-12 was still cloudy probably due to pectin haze, so i added more pectin enzyme, still no change, racked off lees on 4-14 tried a round of super kleer, doesnt look like any difference so my question is how many times can i add pectin enzyme and clearing agents before i trash this batch it was thoroughly degassed via all in one vacuum pump 2x so i can say with a degree of certainty that that wasnt the problem, any help here would be appreciated.

For what it is worth, my batch of Mad Mango took approx. 2-1/2 weeks to clear using Super Kleer!
I would be patient, it should clear.

Latest posts

Back