DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was bored at work today and made a spreadsheet to figure out the exact cost of making a batch of Dragon Blood per Dave's recipe. enjoy

Thank you so much! Your figure is less than my in my head calculation of ~$3.00 a bottle - counting bottles and corks but not counting labels or shrink wrap.

My corks are costing me 30 cents apiece. Somewhere down the line I need to spring for a 1K count in order to get that cost down.

I'm pretty much set with dark bottles but still find myself having to buy clear bottles every so often.

I was bored at work today and made a spreadsheet to figure out the exact cost of making a batch of Dragon Blood per Dave's recipe. enjoy

That is great, shows how cost effective it is.

I am also going to need you to convert it to an excel so I can change the variables

"Ah, ah, I almost forgot... I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, lost some people this week and we sorta need to play catch-up. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks."

Inspired by yours I decided to make one up too! $1.03 base/$2.31 for all the extras per bottle! WOW! I did factor in my local tax too. Bear in mind that I shop at GFS and things are cheaper in bulk.

I did notice. Calvin, that you calculated PVC caps at $.90, but the math matched up in the end anyway.

PDF is at the bottom.

In Excel, I poked in $1.00 per lb on strawberries (that sale I caught a few weeks back) and was shocked to see it base price was $.65 per bottle... Yep that's how I roll Chi Pass Style!

That is great, shows how cost effective it is.

I am also going to need you to convert it to an excel so I can change the variables

"Ah, ah, I almost forgot... I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, lost some people this week and we sorta need to play catch-up. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks."

I have an .xls file if you want it Elmer. PM me your email addy

View attachment db cost breakdown.pdf

Last edited:
im thinking of doing a cherry lime DB. tried to read thru this thread for info but gave up after page 30. im happy with 1 lb per gal triple berry. would 1lb per gal of cherries give similar fruit flavor? Costco has 6lb pitted, frozen sweet cherries for about $14.

thanks!

That was supposed to be $.09 each. Lol

Elmer I can email you my spreadsheet too if you get me your address

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Anyone do a Banana DB? Meijer has them on sale 38cents per lb and my "Big Blue" primaries will be empty by Friday, so it'd be a good time to buy IMHO. Even if there's not a possibility of it, I'll try a different recipe.

I have a feeling I'll be going all kooky in the kitchen Gwen Stefani Style: This #$%^ is BANANAS B-A-N-A-N-A-S!:

I had to try it. But I did it Dragonette style.(no lemon juice, used acid blend instead)
I pitched the yeast to a batch Sunday afternoon.(4/05) :db:db
I just took the photo, I should have taken a picture before I punched the top down about an hour ago. Make sure you have lots of head space, this stuff foams up a lot!(I did use more banana's than the recipe calls for)
It sure smells great when I open the door to the basement!

im thinking of doing a cherry lime DB. tried to read thru this thread for info but gave up after page 30. im happy with 1 lb per gal triple berry. would 1lb per gal of cherries give similar fruit flavor? Costco has 6lb pitted, frozen sweet cherries for about $14.

thanks!

Cherreis are another pain in my backside. Hard to get the nice cherry flavor you're looing for. I'd double the amount for this one. I made a cheery/lemon several years ago with just six pounds of the dark sweet cherries and ended up adding some flavoring to bring up the cherry.

Good luck!

I've had good luck using Tart Cherries instead of the Sweet ones. Also if you throw a Vanilla bean in a couple of weeks before you bottle you get a nice Cherry/ Vanilla flavor.

Rob

I had to try it. But I did it Dragonette style.(no lemon juice, used acid blend instead)
I pitched the yeast to a batch Sunday afternoon.(4/05) :db:db
I just took the photo, I should have taken a picture before I punched the top down about an hour ago. Make sure you have lots of head space, this stuff foams up a lot!(I did use more banana's than the recipe calls for)
It sure smells great when I open the door to the basement!

OOOh! Keep us updated! Hopefully I'll be starting mine up Saturday or Sunday!

Bagging it right now, kitchen is in disarray, so my bedroom has evolved into another wine making area.... ImageUploadedByWine Making1397069632.355338.jpg

Stuff is delicious. I think I will start another batch as soon as the kitchen is ready, maybe some extra raspberries this time.

Went with my wife this morning to Costco. I picked up four three pound bags of mixed frozen berries that were on sale. $9.99 US marked on sale @ $7.99. Product is Sunrise Growers Antioxidant Blend - strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and cherries.

Maybe had I read the previous posts concerning cherries I wouldn't have gotten this blend but I'm not too concerned seeing how the cherries are likely not more than 20% of the mix.

Maybe I'll name my next DB batch "Lemon Berry Five".
smilie.gif

Calling this stuff triple threat. It's going to be early bed time tonight! ImageUploadedByWine Making1397081601.030741.jpg

Bagging it right now, kitchen is in disarray, so my bedroom has evolved into another wine making area.... View attachment 15025

Stuff is delicious. I think I will start another batch as soon as the kitchen is ready, maybe some extra raspberries this time.

Do you re-use plastic bags from kits or are you buying them new? If re-using you just sanitize them and go? Do you gave a tap to put on the bag? This is a brilliant idea, especially for young wines like db...

Do you re-use plastic bags from kits or are you buying them new? If re-using you just sanitize them and go? Do you gave a tap to put on the bag? This is a brilliant idea, especially for young wines like db...

I might get a lashing for this but I reuse Franzia bags for about 1/3 of my DBs, and other quick drinkers. As soon as you empty is, pop out the spigot soap and water rinse (thoroughly!) dump out water, throw some sanitizer in it, replace spigot, shake the crap out of it, then let some oxygen out. Store til it's time to fill again. When it is, take the spigot off, dump sanitizer, dry and fill. You just have to be sure to burp the bag well before you put it up to get rid of excess oxygen.

Okay, let the tongue lashing begin.

Omg I can't believe you would reuse franzia bags. WTH.

Just kidding. That actually sounds like a great idea!

Actually, I have tried that on some early drinking 'table' red wines. My experience has been less than satisfactory. All the attempts resulted in severely degraded wine and one batch was fully dumped down the drain. DB might work cuz you are probably drinking it within 6-8 weeks. Even aging for 3 months was a major disappointment. Seemed like such a brilliant idea at the time, too.

Just about finished my first batch of Dragon Blood. By finished I mean via drinking and sharing with friends and family.

I also preordered a case of $1 - 12oz. Bags of frozen mixed fruit at my local dollar store, for my next two batches.

Thanks Dave for sharing the recipe it has been a huge hit in my neck of the woods.

Starting to see the magic!!!!
My original DB gets better every time I drink it, and I just bottled some blueberry tonight. The blueberry was surprisingly delicious despite everyone's.remarks and my own initial tasting. I added a little extra sugar To compensate for any lemon juice taste, but really there wasn't much. Excited for Summer drinking by the pool!!!!

I might get a lashing for this but I reuse Franzia bags for about 1/3 of my DBs, and other quick drinkers. As soon as you empty is, pop out the spigot soap and water rinse (thoroughly!) dump out water, throw some sanitizer in it, replace spigot, shake the crap out of it, then let some oxygen out. Store til it's time to fill again. When it is, take the spigot off, dump sanitizer, dry and fill. You just have to be sure to burp the bag well before you put it up to get rid of excess oxygen.

Okay, let the tongue lashing begin.

When you say spigot, are you referring to a "tap" or just a plug? Trying to understand how to get the wine out of the bag without subjecting it to air ... (great instructions btw, thanks!)

Thank you so much! Your figure is less than my in my head calculation of ~$3.00 a bottle - counting bottles and corks but not counting labels or shrink wrap.

My corks are costing me 30 cents apiece. Somewhere down the line I need to spring for a 1K count in order to get that cost down.

I'm pretty much set with dark bottles but still find myself having to buy clear bottles every so often.

Now I feel cheap.

I am grabbing corks for under 15 cents, the specialty screw on wine bottle caps under 30 cents. Then I drink a couple bottles of wine with my friends for their empty bottles. One of my buddies works at a bar and grabs me all there empties. Most liter or less bottles with a plastic caps: fit the caps at my local wine shop. If I don't bust those caps I sanitize and reuse those too. If I buy new bottles I spend less then a buck. I print my labels on normal paper slice them out and reply the with acid free stick glue. The actual Dragons Blood costs me about 65 cents. I have already chatted about my dollar store berries, 25 Lbs of sugar from Sams, and Sam has the lemon juice for under $3.

Best case a bottle of DB is under a buck (worst case $2.00). Once upon a time I would spend that on a bottle of beer.

Latest posts

Back