DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bakervinyard..I do not use a lid at all, I cover with a cloth, so i can get the oxygen to it, and get a full on ferment going on.
I used the lid on a few batches, and found it slowed everything down a little bit...the last 100 gallons, i have not used a lid at all.
I have made some changes.
I add bentonite when the ferment gets really rolling, day 2 are 3 with pasteur red yeast,.
I add bentonite when i get a sparkly,fizzing,swirling ferment using a cotes de blanc , on day 4...
I double my fruit on every batch.
I let it clear before i add sorbate...hopefully you will also.
Good luck, let us know how it goes, we are a special family here in the db wine world.

Welcome back, Tess! I must admit I feared the worst when you fell off the face of the Earth. I feared that maybe, I hate to even say it, I thought that perhaps (gasp), there had been an "intervention." :)

Your too funny Paul LMBO!!! No I just got busy with life. Im back in teh game though. Got home from work and went straight into my wine room to here that familiar snap crackle and pop of my dragons blood fermenting. lol

my newest db.

96 large luzianne tea bags steeped in 3 gallon jar
48 oz of lemon
no pectin
1/2 as much acid blend
sugar to sg of 1.100
taste wonderfull, with no co2 are yeast..lol
will backsweeten with sugar and mint simple syrup...hopefully will taste like a mint julep for the summer.

you have already made this??

Tess,
Is that yet a new version - Rice Crispy Dragon Blood that goes Snap, Crackle, and Pop? If so, you're the first to mention that variety.

bakervinyard..I do not use a lid at all, I cover with a cloth, so i can get the oxygen to it, and get a full on ferment going on.
I used the lid on a few batches, and found it slowed everything down a little bit...the last 100 gallons, i have not used a lid at all.
I have made some changes.
I add bentonite when the ferment gets really rolling, day 2 are 3 with pasteur red yeast,.
I add bentonite when i get a sparkly,fizzing,swirling ferment using a cotes de blanc , on day 4...
I double my fruit on every batch.
I let it clear before i add sorbate...hopefully you will also.
Good luck, let us know how it goes, we are a special family here in the db wine world.

I dont know how you guys get by with this lol My towel always drys out by next day and is laying in my must :) I lay the lid on top but do not snap it down. I just set it there. Plus I beat tbe crap out of it every night after i squeeze my Fpack

Tess,
Bungee cord or Velcro strap. I've even used an old belt to hold the towel on the primary to keep it from falling in.

no tess..i am just now starting it... pitching yeast today.before i leave for houston for a few days.

Tess,
Is that yet a new version - Rice Crispy Dragon Blood that goes Snap, Crackle, and Pop? If so, you're the first to mention that variety.

its the sweet sound of fermentation!! I hear it and I know all is well so far

Tess,

Ok... I know you were joking and all but you got my thinking! Has anybody tried to make a matcha green tea with toasted rice (or rice crispies) dragons blood?? It sounds delicious to me, but I have no primaries or carboys empty at the moment to try!!

Instead of being called "dragons blood" it could be named after the Japanese dragon and called "Ryu blood" or "Tatsu blood"

Thoughts?

there are so many ways you can go with this. Im going down now to do my daily blood ritual. Squeeze and Stir....Squeeze and Stir lol

Tess,
Bungee cord or Velcro strap. I've even used an old belt to hold the towel on the primary to keep it from falling in.

well thats the way to go. At my local supply store the lids cost almost as much as the primary

Ok, friends!
Im all set to back sweeten and bottle this weekend. I even have my help lined up! if I want to use berries to back sweeten what is the procedure for that? do I make a simple syrup and cook the berries in that or do I just add a few cups of sugar to the berries? will this mess with the clarity at all? I'm just clueless on how to do this but I would like to give it a little bit more berry flavor if possible. As always thanks in advance for your help :)

Nice labels!

I just bottled DB and my first wine kit!

Wow Freeze06, nice labels and good lookin' wine! Did you create and print the labels your self, or have them done? I'm still messing with trying to create my labels with no success.

Drier, high tannin, bigger ABV wines will age better than most medium sweet versions and will mature nicely. 18 years plus is however a really long time to age anything - you'll need a very stable (cool all year round and dark) environment to ensure it ages well without spoiling.

I added berry extracts LHBS had 4oz bottles for 3.99 turned out more flavorful.

I been buying a lot of genuine extracts from Olive Nation. Im going to enjoy using them. Especially in lower end kits.

Latest posts

Back