DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go...

DSC_0130.jpg

Just starting my first batch of DB. I used those 5-gallon nylon paint strainer bags from Home Depot. After making my sugar mix, I just stretched the bag over the 6.5 gallon primary bucket, poured the fruit mix in, and tied a quick knot. It was great, squeezed the bag for about 5 minutes and set it aside. Will pitch the yeast tomorrow; can't wait to see how this one goes. :D

Good luck with it! It's fun making this wine cuz you get to so some tinkering!

My first DB, actually first ever wine from scratch and it is exciting. I would like to compare fermentation notes with anyone who has finished a DB wine already, really just for my own curiosity sake.
I followed the recipe, with 8lbs of 4 berry mix, yeast is EC-118.
Fermentation is going as follows... starting.... SG 1.074/ temp 22.1 C
Feb.9.... SG 1.070/ temp 22.5 C
Feb 10.... SG 1.054 temp 22.5 C
Feb 11.... SG 1.041 temp 23.1 C
Feb 12... SG 1.030 temp 23.0 C
Feb 13 .... SG 1.021 temp 23.2 C

Still ongoing, healthy fermentation. I am just curious about your fermentation time, before racking into a carboy.

thanks.

I start my db at 1.110..i let it finish dry .990.
if using pasteur red it complete to dry in 5 to 6 days.
if using cotes de blanc it is complete in 7 to 10 days.
i usually go from start to finish in 18 days...

Dragon's Blood notes 1/5/14
time 10:30 pm

cleaned and sanitized everything

filtered 5 gallons of water in the brita pitcher

added 1 gallon of filtered water to pot on stove
and brought it to a boil
added 20 cups of sugar and stirred it until it had
completely dissolved
added sugar water to primary
added 1 48oz bottle RealLemon juice to primary
stirred the sh*t out of it
brought water to 5 gallon mark on primary
stirred the sh*t outta it somemore

Took SG 1.090

added 1 tsp grape tanning (stirred)
added 4 tsp yeast nutrient (stirred)
added 2 tsp yeast energizer (stirred)
added 3 tsp pectin enzyme (stirred)
added 6 lbs triple berry blend fruit to 5 gallon paint strainer bag and
gave the bag a few squeeses to break it up some and let the
pectin work work into it some.

Did not top water to 6 gallons like it says in the original directions
as I am only doing a 5 gallon batch but topping to 5 gallon before
adding fruit brought me over the 5 gallon mark to almost 5.5 gal
with fruit added (hoping this will give me a little extra for racking)

1/6/14
Made starter for yeast then took SG at 1.090
Gave bag a few squeezes for good measure, and stirred.
Pitched yeast

1/7/14
Squeezed bag almost dry then placed in sanitized bowl,
Stirred for 2 minutes then took Gravity reading 1.082

1/8/14
Stirred for 2 minutes then took Gravity reading 1.050

1/9/14
Stirred for 2 minutes then took Gravity reading 1.024

1/10/14
Removed and squeezed bag dry, Gave must a gentle stir
and took SG 1.000. If I hadn't of gave must a stir gently
I would be transferring to secondary now. But being I have
I will transfer tomorrow.

1/11/14
Took SG .090. Racked onto 5 crushed and dissolved camden
tablets (dissolved in a half cup of heated water) to cleaned
and sanitized 5 Gallon Carboy tried degassing, but not a lot
of bubbles came up. Added Tsp sparkloid into 1 cup water.
Brought to heavy simmer for 5 minutes. Stirred into carboy.
Placed cleaned and sanitized Bung and airlock on carboy.

1/18/14
Racked off lees to clean and sanitized carboy.
Added sorbate to half cup warm water and added to DB
Stirred gently will back sweeten tomorrow

1/19/14
Back sweetened with 3 and 1/2 cup sugar by warming some
in a cleaned and sanitized pot then melting in sugar and
adding back to carboy

1/23/14
Bottled today, going to have to make more of this termites got into it.

Thank you for your information, interesting to read.
I too have been squeezing fruit container, removing and stirring must daily. Fermentation averages seem to be as quick as 4/5 days and up to 10 days so with that info my batch is going along ok. Following my SG #'s it looks like it will be done in 2 or 3 days, if everything continues as it is.

Thanks again................ wonder how termites behave after consuming DB wine. :)

I use cheap disposable nylon stockings. When the wine is done, I just pitch the whole thing. I got tired of washing the mesh fruit bags. I, too, get strange looks from the ladies in the women's sock/panties department. I just smile. :D

Well Dangerdave I just have to assume that your are not trying on those cheap nylon stockings in front of all those ladies and then wearing them home. :)

Question: Doses the bag for the fruit have to by nylon? Can it be a cheese cloth bag or will the pectic enzyme eat the cheese cloth?

Thanx...

this was my first time making Dragons Blood. I tried twice to get to my local homebrew store but both times they were unexpectedly closed. so I made a bag out of double layered cheese cloth. But I'm kind of crafty and I sew and I put a draw string in . it worked fine for one batch I would double layer it because the holes are a little large and you can't reuse it, I wouldn't think.

but just so you know if that's all you have it is possible to make it work.

I will have to check out the bags at Home Depot!

Rosa321, try making bags out of organza. The plain non shimmery kind. They are 100% nylon and hold up really well. The weave is so fine that not even strawberry or kiwi seeds can escape into your must. And at approx $5/yd for 58 inch fabric, you can make a lot of bags. Just don't dry them in the dryer per the fabric instructions. I guess they would melt.

Pam in cinti

Rosa321, try making bags out of organza. The plain non shimmery kind. They are 100% nylon and hold up really well. The weave is so fine that not even strawberry or kiwi seeds can escape into your must. And at approx $5/yd for 58 inch fabric, you can make a lot of bags. Just don't dry them in the dryer per the fabric instructions. I guess they would melt.

Pam in cinti

Thanks!!!!!! That's an awesome suggestion. I will check my local craftstore for some organza!! Way cheaper than the ones the store Carries, too.

Started a batch of DB yesterday, following Dave's recipe and using 6 lbs of the triple berry blend from Costco. I will tweak it with a pound of blackberries after I reach 1.02 or so.

This is my second batch, although the initial attempt was a modified skeeter pee, sweetened with cranberry/pomegranate concentrate. Turned out very acidic, making it difficult to drink. The best application for it was to mix with ginger ale or sprite as a spritzer for the summer months. With far less lemon juice this time, I am pretty excited for the potential. This will be my back porch or sitting-around-the-campfire drink for the summer. Let the good times roll!

I followed Dave's instructions to a "t" and my SG ended up being the recommended 1.075. I see here everybody else is starting with 1.095 or greater....did I miscalculate?

Nope! Just some people like a higher abv. If you're ok with that final abv it's perfectly good. I made a mistake last batch and spiked my initial SG up to 1.120 lol my finishing abv ended up at 16%. Last night after finishing our cab sauv with dinner we cracked open some of that DB again - woke up on the couch at 4am again! That darned DB! Either that or I'm getting OLD! :)

I feel like such a pusher! Sorry, Carolyn. The recipe should come with a warning, huh?

~Rick: As the recipe says, you can add extra sugar in the must to increase ABV. My wife likes to drink a lot of DB, so I try to keep the ABV nominal.

Last edited:
Well, it's only been a day since I pitched the yeast. Suppose I could stir in two or three more cups of sugar at this point. I guess I thought the added sugar in the berries themselves would drive up the ABV.

I feel like such a pusher! Soory, Carolyn. The recipe should come with a warning, huh?

~Rick: As the recipe says, you can add extra sugar in the must to increase ABV. My wife likes to drink a lot of DB, so I try to keep the ABV nominal.

I think I joked about that before Dave (the pusher)! You're a smart man! Maybe I should take your advice and make mine with a lower abv! Maybe then I won't fall asleep on the couch! Yes it should have a warning label on it that reads: Warning - Dangerous when drunk! :)

or better yet maybe it should read " Drunk when dangerous" , kinda like getting pulled over by the police and saying " Is there an officer problem?" :dg another of them favorite says are " I'm not as think as you drunk I am " :dg

Latest posts

Back