DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
making all that db...i am trying to get all my carboys empty.
if i can get them all empty..then in april i can make about 90 gallons of blackberry, db,port and set them to age.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1390017848.205784.jpg I racked a gallon and a half with the sulfites and sparkalloid after stirring pretty intensely for 10 minutes (I hope that was enough to degas?).

It tasted a little rough and yeasty but had a good subtle berry flavor.

I started my batch on 12/28 and I just backsweetened this morning...oh boy, I can tell this is going to be dangerous! SWMBO is going to love this. I fear I'll never have an empty carboy again! Thanks Dave!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1390086800.632257.jpg

Starting my second batch of fruit wine using the DB recipe. This one is trash can wine-- I used the 2 bags of apple cores (the apples smelled amazing... Mostly Fuji) I had leftover from cider making as well as a bunch of misc bags and half bags of fruit that were in my freezer. Quad berry, mango chunks, pineapple chunks, a few peach slices, a banana, and some lime juice. I have no intention of ever repeating this recipe I just want to see what happens. :)

lol and because ya have no idea how much of everything you put into it . It will probably be the best ya ever make.

Haha, yeah that's probably true. I'm just glad to have space in my freezer back!

Starting my second batch of fruit wine using the DB recipe. This one is trash can wine-- I used the 2 bags of apple cores (the apples smelled amazing... Mostly Fuji) I had leftover from cider making as well as a bunch of misc bags and half bags of fruit that were in my freezer. Quad berry, mango chunks, pineapple chunks, a few peach slices, a banana, and some lime juice. I have no intention of ever repeating this recipe I just want to see what happens. :)

Call me low class, but I sometimes make freezer berry wine...whenever store bought fruit (mostly strawberries or blueberries) stay in the fridge too long, we freeze them, until we have enough to make something...I wouldn't call it db, because it's really just random stuff thrown together in an ad-hoc fashion.

I'll be racking to carboy today... This is going to be good stuff! Still has a very strong fruit flavour!

Squeezed the bags today and stirred the must took all the readings fermenting quite well. Went from 1.087 on Friday to 1.040 today here is a pic.

1390160517580.jpg

I opened a bottle of my Blue Blood today. This is now 1 year old (started 1/9/2013). I am delighted I waited. 6 months ago this was disjointed with the lemon juice still being quite harsh and out of balance. It has mellowed to a nice balanced beverage with subtle blueberry and lemon that seems to be in perfect harmony. And the color is exquisite.

1538661_10100369740364479_2106922013_n.jpg

Yes, very nice, Greg. I have made the blueberry, and it does come around nicely with time. I don't know why the blueberry acts differently on it's own. I've got some more of that to bottle this week. :br

John, that must looks perfect. I'ts gonna be good!

FYI---in case you didn't see it elsewhere---I finally got my pH meter. The original recipe DB (with 48oz of lemon juice and six pounds of fuit) came out to pH 3.07. I'm not sure I'd want to go any lower than that.

Just finished reading this thread. Lots of good info. My first batch following this recipe is at 1.01 today. Just about there. Reading all of this I can't wait 4 it to B done. Especially since I'm drinking white zin out of a box. lol.

Dave was the two dogs reference about Baby names? LMAO.

Last edited:
Back