DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 mos...are you kidding me....i have not had any last more then three....
you a slow drinker dave, my friend.

John I have tried 9 12 16 18 20 24 for 3 and 6 gallon batches.
my favorite is 18 lbs for 3 gallons.

I hide an occasional bottle for posterity. :b

I had a 1.5 liter bottle that was in my wall wine display and had become more of a decoration than anything. It was around a year old. I decided it needed to get drunk, so I popped it. The taste had journeyed so far beyond what I recognized as DB that I really didn't care for it much.

Drank it? Yes. :D

I have taken a month of from drinking, so I still have 6 bottles of DB that were bottled in June or July.
Last time I had one was in December and the flavors had really come forward on them.
I intend to drink them when the warmer weather approaches!

I am going to make another batch soon to allow a few months to age!

6 mos...are you kidding me....i have not had any last more then three....
you a slow drinker dave, my friend.

John I have tried 9 12 16 18 20 24 for 3 and 6 gallon batches.
my favorite is 18 lbs for 3 gallons.

James --- Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you put in 18 lbs of Triple Berry Blend for 3 Gallons when the original DB recipe calls for 6 lbs for 6 Gallons? I’m just learning and want to keep this in mind for future reference. Does that affect your sugar per gallon on the backsweeting?

I have made db just about every way you can even imagine.
and yes..i added 18 lbs of fruit for a 3 gallon batch...the lemon juice balanced it out very nicely...
I like a really fruity wine...Seriously though...every batch I have made is gone...
I like the odb...original dragon blood..but i like it better with double the fruit..
just me.

Started my first batch of this tonight a 6 gallon batch using 9 lbs of the triple berry from Sam's club going to use K1-V1116 lalvin yeast supposed to be best suited for fruit and berries we will see. Here are a few pics

1389920046385.jpg

1389920066140.jpg

I'm doing a 6 gal batch right now that has at least 9lbs of fruit... I'll see if it's more fruity than the last batch after it's ready to drink... Cuz I'm a lover of saving money so if it really takes less I'll buy less :)

Oh ya and I use a pair of queen sized nylons and I'm left with nothing but seeds at the end...

Last edited:
Started my first batch of this tonight a 6 gallon batch using 9 lbs of the triple berry from Sam's club going to use K1-V1116 lalvin yeast supposed to be best suited for fruit and berries we will see. Here are a few pics

Looks good. I m interested in hearing about 6 vs 9 lbs...

I just used the 6lbs of fruit like the recipe called for but only made it a 5 gallon batch opposed to the 6 gallon in the original recipe.

By first batch I did was 6 gal batch. I backed sweetened 3 gals with 1/2 cup sugar per gal. The other 3 I did 1 cup per gal. We like sweet and the 1 cup was perfect for us. U cud defiantly tell the difference. It was at 1.12 sg if I recall right. Love this stuff!!!

db in the buckets:
6 gallon white grape peach
6 gallon mustang grape end of mustang grape hoard.
3 gallon black and blue
3 gallon srawberry/blackberry....end of blackberry hoard.
6 gallon Original.
for summer stock...
none get opened till I start up my pool....

db in the buckets:
6 gallon white grape peach
6 gallon mustang grape end of mustang grape hoard.
3 gallon black and blue
3 gallon srawberry/blackberry....end of blackberry hoard.
6 gallon Original.
for summer stock...
none get opened till I start up my pool....

Yea, right! :sm

Might be the only pool in TX opened in February :dg

Latest posts

Back