DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know,,lol but you have to go thru 30 pages of posts to find a recipe....

Yeah I just found out the hard way. And now recall dealing with the same aggravation when I did my DB lol. Searching through DB posts is probably the most difficult thing on this forum - they are endless!

Yeah I’m Pretty sure that’s the main one. Lots of variations tho. Here’s what DangerDave said. Right from the horses mouth,(not sure if there is an official danger save tropical recipe posted or not)
I make a "version" of the Dragon Blood recipe, highly modified. No lemon juice. Tropical fruit instead of the triple berry. The lemon juice is replaced with three tsp of acid blend. Other than that, it uses the same process/recipe.

Would be cool to have recipe thread where its strictly recipe and comments from the poster...

It was recommended to me a couple of years ago to first try a search engine. I use duckduckgo.com but any one will work. Many times the search would lead me to the wine talk web site.

Will

I appreciate everyone’s help with my first batch of DB. Now for another question - my batch started at 1.09 a few days ago and hit .998 today. It smells yeasty and not really fruity - is that normal? Also, I was planning on removing the fruit tomorrow and putting the airlock on for 2-3 days before racking into the secondary. Does that sound right?

Smelling "yeasty" right now would be normal - the yeast is still active or just finished doing it's thing. As for the "not much flavor" - I had issues with the flavor of my first batch of DB. I found it weak & watery, too acidic and not much flavor. After racking, adding the pot. meta & sorbate & clearing it - I backsweetened with 2 cans of frozen white grape juice concentrate, 4 cans of Berry Blend frozen juice concentrate and some calcium carbonate to reduce the acid. Ended up as my wife's favorite! I just made another batch with 4# of fruit per gallon and less lemon juice - waiting for it to clear now. Then I'll backsweeten with the concentrated juices like before.

I waited 4 weeks to see if it started fermenting again (it didn't) and for any solids from the juice to drift to the bottom. It remained clear with almost no residue on the bottom of the carboy.

Last edited:
The hardest decision is deciding what to try next...blueberry dragon blood, tropical daze, skeeter pee, dragonette, juice, frozen berries, concentrate... with two empty fermenters, the struggle is real!! :slp

I used one 3 pound bags of Triple Berry and 3 pounds of Blackberry's, I was thinking about back sweeting with 3 - 18 ounce jars of blackberry jam.... anyone have experience using jam? Thought it would bring of the flavor.

I have not personally tried it - I have read where others have. It's sort of like an F-pac. If I were going to try this - I would probably heat up the jam & then liquefy it in a blender with a little water to make it easier to stir in. It may affect the clarity - you may have to give it additional time to clear. I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

6 gallons of cherry lime dragon blood bottled this morning and 12 gallons of original dragon blood in the primary fermenter in the background of the pic. Im almost ready for summer, but my skeeter pee is taking forever to clear. By the way, the cherry lime tastes a lot like a traditional semisweet grape wine.
20190323_114127.jpeg

I have been making your recipe for about 4 batches of wine thanks love it. Have a batch of Blueberry and Dragons Blood. This is my second batch of Dragons Blood also made Strawberry. Thanks for sharing.

6 gallons of cherry lime dragon blood bottled this morning and 12 gallons of original dragon blood in the primary fermenter in the background of the pic. Im almost ready for summer, but my skeeter pee is taking forever to clear. By the way, the cherry lime tastes a lot like a traditional semisweet grape wine.
View attachment 53911

scurry64 - Great idea on what looks like single-serve portions using the juice-style containers (12 or 16 oz?). I've been re-using sanitized V8 Fusion plastic bottles (64 oz) which is nice for a crowd but suboptimal when I want to enjoy just a single serve of Dragon's Blood on a random night. Did you buy these in bulk from somewhere?

I have been making your recipe for about 4 batches of wine thanks love it. Have a batch of Blueberry and Dragons Blood. This is my second batch of Dragons Blood also made Strawberry. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for trying the recipe. Share the love!

scurry64 - Great idea on what looks like single-serve portions using the juice-style containers (12 or 16 oz?). I've been re-using sanitized V8 Fusion plastic bottles (64 oz) which is nice for a crowd but suboptimal when I want to enjoy just a single serve of Dragon's Blood on a random night. Did you buy these in bulk from somewhere?
These are 16 oz bottles that I purchased on Amazon. They look nice and they are the perfect size for me.

The only drawback I've found is that some of the bottles, but not all, leaked a little when I laid them on their side. Since it was just some of the bottles that leaked, it may have been operator error. Also, you'll want to wrap a paper towel or napkin over the lid when you tighten them down. I gave myself a nice blister when I bottled the first batch.

The bottles are reusable, but the lids are not. I haven't been able to find replacement lids yet. That doesn't mean they're not out there. The manufacturer told me they are 38mm lids.

These are 16 oz bottles that I purchased on Amazon. They look nice and they are the perfect size for me.

The only drawback I've found is that some of the bottles, but not all, leaked a little when I laid them on their side. Since it was just some of the bottles that leaked, it may have been operator error. Also, you'll want to wrap a paper towel or napkin over the lid when you tighten them down. I gave myself a nice blister when I bottled the first batch.

The bottles are reusable, but the lids are not. I haven't been able to find replacement lids yet. That doesn't mean they're not out there. The manufacturer told me they are 38mm lids.

When you put the lids on are they just a screw type top or do they have some kind of safety seal too? Kind of like the kind that are on plastic soda bottles that leave a plastic ring on the neck once opened.

When you put the lids on are they just a screw type top or do they have some kind of safety seal too? Kind of like the kind that are on plastic soda bottles that leave a plastic ring on the neck once opened.
Yes. There is a plastic safety seal ring similar to a soda bottle. Maybe you can see it in this picture.20190326_154204.jpeg

Back