DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,
Getting back into making some fruit wine.
Leaving out the lemon as it makes it too acidic and in favorable among my circle of drinkers.
However I am faced with the same issue which plagued and frustrated me when following the directions on this particular fruit wine.
I cannot fit 12 lbs of fruit, 2lbs of sugar & 5 gallons of water into a 6 gallon bucket.
How has everyone resolved this issue?

Ok,
Leaving out the lemon as it makes it too acidic and in favorable among my circle of drinkers.
However I am faced with the same issue which plagued and frustrated me when following the directions on this particular fruit wine.
I cannot fit 12 lbs of fruit, 2lbs of sugar & 5 gallons of water into a 6 gallon bucket.

With a larger fermenter. Most LHBS and online sources sell 7.9 gallon fermenters, and even larger.

What John said - I have a 8 gallon fermenter I use for 5 gal recipes. Your other option is to split the initial ferment between 2 6 gal. buckets. I did that once. Mixed the water, sugar, etc. established the sg and the ph and then divided it in 2 buckets & added 1/2 the fruit to each and a packet of yeast to each. Then after the fruit is out - you can rack it ALL into a 5 gal. carboy.

What John said - I have a 8 gallon fermenter I use for 5 gal recipes. Your other option is to split the initial ferment between 2 6 gal. buckets. I did that once. Mixed the water, sugar, etc. established the sg and the ph and then divided it in 2 buckets & added 1/2 the fruit to each and a packet of yeast to each. Then after the fruit is out - you can rack it ALL into a 5 gal. carboy.

i am currently making Dragon Blood using 12 pounds of the triple berry blend also. I put the water in last after the bagged fruit, sugar & rest of stuff. Then filled to the 6 gal level. When the fruit in the bag was depleted & tossed, then topped off the primary with the water. It would never fit if you added the water first. Currently have it in a 6 1/2 gal carboy clearing. will keep it here a few weeks, re-rack, then let it sit a few more weeks. Will be ready for drinking by this summer. Got a great deal on the triple berry blend from Aldies, $4.00 for 3 pound bag during a clearance sale! Just happened to be there when they were marking it down. Seeing if this will increase the flavor by doubling the fruit.
.......Al

i am currently making Dragon Blood using 12 pounds of the triple berry blend also. I put the water in last after the bagged fruit, sugar & rest of stuff. Then filled to the 6 gal level. When the fruit in the bag was depleted & tossed, then topped off the primary with the water. It would never fit if you added the water first. Currently have it in a 6 1/2 gal carboy clearing. will keep it here a few weeks, re-rack, then let it sit a few more weeks. Will be ready for drinking by this summer. Got a great deal on the triple berry blend from Aldies, $4.00 for 3 pound bag during a clearance sale! Just happened to be there when they were marking it down. Seeing if this will increase the flavor by doubling the fruit.
.......Al

I see a bigger fermenter in your future. Say a 10 gallon Trash Can, I can't tell for sure from the web if this one is food grade or not, but it more than likely is: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid...on-Gray-Plastic-Trash-Can-with-Lid/1000460561

I use a 32 gallon food grade Brute trash can. I make 18 gallons at a time (saves time) by simply tripling everything except the yeast—only needs one packet. Given the rate at which this stuff is consumed around here, it just makes sense!

I use a 32 gallon food grade Brute trash can. I make 18 gallons at a time (saves time) by simply tripling everything except the yeast—only needs one packet. Given the rate at which this stuff is consumed around here, it just makes sense!
I used a 20 gallon brute for the first time to make a12 gallon batch. I made a 1.5 quart starter with 2 sachets of yeast. It fermented down from 1.092 to 1.002 in 5 days. Super fast. I'll try it with 1 sachet of yeast next time.

Well, Dragon’s in Paradise filtered and ready for bottling. SG was 1.120, FG 0.996. Whoa! 16.28% ABV. I had a wee taste and all I can really taste is the alcohol with a slight hint of the mango and peaches. The alcohol overpowers it. Any suggestions as to what would be perfect for back sweetening? This one will definitely be sitting for a while me tinks. Lol.

IMG_0756.JPG

I may have to buy a new bucket or 2. Realized that one of my friends has a gluten issue & I cant use my brew bucket which has had barley and grain in it.
Seems like an opportunity for a bigger fermentor strictly for wine or split the batch in 2.

Well, Dragon’s in Paradise filtered and ready for bottling. SG was 1.120, FG 0.996. Whoa! 16.28% ABV. I had a wee taste and all I can really taste is the alcohol with a slight hint of the mango and peaches. The alcohol overpowers it. Any suggestions as to what would be perfect for back sweetening? This one will definitely be sitting for a while me tinks. Lol.

View attachment 53966
Wow!! That looks great ... Did you filter it as well?

That Tropical Mango does look great!
Maybe make another 6 gallons iwth less sugar so lower alcohol and BLEND them. You can get that done in 3 weeks while the first carboy rests. IDK if just backsweetening by itself will get you where you want to be.itll still be way hot
Worst case scenario, you’ll have 12 gallons of DB to drink. Not the worst f all possible situations

View attachment 53966

Well I'm thinking that something like Welches 100% White Grape Peach juice to help bring down some of that alcohol and adding some sugar to get the desired sweetness you like.

Will

Ok,
# fill with part of the water leaving some head space, intentionally run it hot (1.1 gravity or so) == with the first racking top off with some reserved water and with the second racking again top off with witheld water. If I wanted to be exact any unused water could go into bottling, , but I don’t bother.
When I have sugar calculations (lbs sugar plus sugar contributed by the fruit) I assume that at least 1/2 and up to 3/4 gallon water goes out with the lees.

Well I'm thinking that something like Welches 100% White Grape Peach juice to help bring down some of that alcohol and adding some sugar to get the desired sweetness you like.

Will

I was contemplating Mango and Peach Torani syrup, anyone ever used it?

I just backsweetend my first batch of DB with Whitegrape Rasberry concentrate and it seemed to cloud up some. It was crystal clear before I added the concentrate. Can I add sparkloid again even though I added it last week before sweetening? SG was at .993 before sweetening and it had been down that low for about 2 weeks.

Back