RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 12:

Temp - 69.8°
SG - .992

This has gone from 1.120 to .992 in 12 days. That should be about 17.4%ABV. I added the sulfite, sorbate and clearing agents per instructions. I added about 1liter of E&J VSOP. I did this mostly to fill up headspace but it should raise the ABV to about 19.4%.

When it clears I will rack one last time, add the Fpac and let it age.

It has been a fun ride but it is almost over.

I did taste it. Of course the Fpac is not in yet. It would make a nice dry red to stop right there.

Arent you supposed to add the fpac before adding the clearing agent!!~!!!!!!!

Wade, the RJS Coffee Port now comes with an update in the box that says not to add the Fpac until after the wine has cleared. It says to add it just before bottling so I think they assume you are going to bottle age.

Coffee port

:u

:uTHIG, just rack the base wine for the coffee port ,. Lots of sediment in the bottom that shows good concentrated juice and solids, and yes,, you were to clear it out before you add the fpac. It makes sense because once is cleared , the fpac enters the package ,let macerate ,complete., never have one of these kit go wrong in any aspect ,your right on course. :db

:u To my base wine . . I added 2 tablespoons powdered Oak this is something we should have gotten , all ports are Oaked that is a natural makeup usually done as part of the aging process . :tz

:u Also, the piña colada and Cosmo also were racked and finalized waiting for clearing and the addition of the fpac.:db

So far so good.................:db

Last edited:
I added the sorbate, sulfite and clearing agents today. The final sg finished at .996. Also fortified with brandy today. Clearing pretty fast already. I'll probally wait a week rack off the lees and add the f-pack. I will then age for awhile. I had a taste of the fortified base wine and it was pretty good.

Mine looks good also, it is so dark you really can't see through it in a 3 gallon carboy but I believe it is cleared. I am going to rack into a clean carboy with the Fpac and age it for a while before I bottle.

coffee port

CORRECT,very dense in color could shine a flash light through it,will rack in a few days and continue,with the coffee beans in a few,,have to tweak::!

Once I rack and add the Fpac I will have to leave in the carboy for probably 30 days. I am remodeling my basement cellar and bottling just will not be practical now.

Coffee port

Do not see any problem with the timing, it will just keep getting better:u

I am planning on aging this kit in the carboy and don't see a problem with it. I am thinking they didn't want us to add the f-pack during clearing because it either reacts badly with the clearing agents causing an "off" taste or the coffee pack would settle to the bottom and get racked off with the clearing lees or maybe both. Once the base is clear and the f pack is added it would be our choice how to age it: bottle or carboy.

Once the base is clear and the f pack is added it would be our choice how to age it: bottle or carboy.

I agree, will probably leave it in the carboy until after April 15th. Don't have a lot of spare time between now and then.

Coffee port

Sounds good to me, April 16 is my birthday sounds like a plan............................:hb

I love a good celebration. I'll bottle on the 16th and raise a glass or two or three... to Joe's birthday. :h It is a weekday though.:(

We are two weeks into our Coffee Port. Just racked it into the carboy. Ours is likewise rather low. We were concerned about this, but at least glad to see that seems to be normal!

Normal??????????

AS NORMAL AS WINE MAKING CAN BE:slpYES WE ARE.APRIL 15TH IS OUR FINISHING START.

Latest posts

Back