RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I've been looking at this kit for a few months now and trying to figure out if it would actually taste like I hope it tastes. Some of these ideas with the vanilla bean, coffee bean and hazelnut liqueur sound amazing. I think I'm sold :b

Hmmm, I've been looking at this kit for a few months now and trying to figure out if it would actually taste like I hope it tastes. Some of these ideas with the vanilla bean, coffee bean and hazelnut liqueur sound amazing. I think I'm sold :b
Rayway, These kits are limited and come out once a year. I have not found any more out there.
I like to drink a port after dinner and kept thinking the coffee port would be perfect for that. When finevinewines.com put theirs on close out in November, I had to get one. I am definitely going to add coffee beans to a few bottles as well as a vanilla bean to a bottle also. I might try making a drink out of coffee port and Frangelico after the kit has aged a bit.:h

As far as progress, it seems to be on target. At day 5 the SG is at 1.022 at 75 degrees.

Earl, we are running rather close.

Day 5:

Temp - 68.7°
SG - 1.021

Day 6:

Temp - 69.4°
SG - 1.006

The instructions say to add sulfite, sorbate and degass at this point and to clear. I transfered to a carboy today but I think I will let it ferment a few more days under an airlock before adding anything else. I am a little concerned that it did not fill the 3 gallon carboy completely. It was about a quart short. It is probably OK for now.

Light in volumne

yes ,DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE VOLUME ITS SUPPOSED TO BE,WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.ITS SUPPOSED TO WARM UP THIS WEEK THAT MEANS THE BASEMENT WILL ALSO WARM UP AND EXPRESS THE FERMENTATION.:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES ,ESPRESSO PORT,VANILLA COFFEE PORT ,ENDLESS,:HB:HB

Earl,
There is a little shop here in town that always has a few extra on hand later in the 'port season'. :) He still has coffee, apple tatin, and toasted caramel. It's been such a difficult decision! Lol.

Brew and Wine Supply, one of our advertisers, said they still have some. Check with them.

just checked the website, didn't see anything, they must be out now.

thanks though, guess i'll have to wait until next year.

Earl,
There is a little shop here in town that always has a few extra on hand later in the 'port season'. :) He still has coffee, apple tatin, and toasted caramel. It's been such a difficult decision! Lol.

Thats great! Let us know which one you decide on. To me, the toasted caramel port sounds real good also.:b

The Sg on the Coffee port yesterday on day 6 was almost the same as yours, Thig: 1.005 at a temperature of 74. I think I will vacuum rack to the secondary when the sg is below 1.000, which will probally be today. I will add the sulfite,sorbate and clearing agents and degass at the same time.

I am going to leave mine alone probably until next Saturday which will be day 12 and then add sulfite, sorbate, degas and clear. Hopefully it will be below 1.000. I know there is not much difference in alcohol between 1.000 and .995 but I want all I can get. If I get to .995 I will be around 17%. Now that I have it under airlock with a layer of CO2 I am not really concerned about oxidation with the extra head space for a week.

I will probably fortify with a liter of brandy to bump the alcohol a little and to fill in the head space. If I am calculating correctly the liter of 40% brandy will put the 17% to around 19%. Actually 17% might be OK but I have to fill the head space with something.

I guess you noticed an update to the instructions. The flavor pack is not added now until just before bottling and I had planned to age at least 6 months before bottling.

Aging

:uAGING A BASE WINE i DON'T THINK WOULD HAVE ANY IMPACT ON THE FINISH PRODUCT,iT'S JUST A BASE WINE AGING WITH THE FPAC NOW THAT WOULD MAKE A GREAT DIFFERENCE IN THE OVERALL FINISH ,IT HAS TO ,LOOK IF YOUR BASE WINE IS COMPLETED ITS JOURNEY AT ITS PRESENT STATE THEN ITS NEXT PORT OF CALL IS BEING INFUSED WITH THE FPAC,THAT'S WERE IT WILL START AND FINISH OTES TREK.BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION.:u WITH THE TWO COMBINED IT IS THEN ONE AND WILL MATURE TOGETHER.:u

OK, I did not realize a base wine would not improve with aging. I really did not know what a base wine was. I guess I have a change of plans. Same as above except skip the 6 months aging before I put the fpac in and instead age it afterwards.

Coffee port

:u KEEP IN MIND,THAT THE AGING IS :uALWAYS THE FINISH PRODUCT,I DON'T RECALL BUT WHAT WAS THE SUGGESTED AGING TIME THAT THE MFG. SETTLED FOR ?:u

:u Racked to secondary yesterday at Sg of 1.002 and temperature at 74 Degrees. Fermentation has slowed. I also decided to wait until the weekend to let it ferment to dry before stabilizing.

Joeswine, thanks for the info. I was also considering bulk aging the wine forgetting that the instructions add the f pack at bottling.

Coffee port

:mny The basement is hovered around 64°, the port is at 1.65 ,the Cosmo is at 1.5 in the piña colada is at 1.6. They came down long way from where they are but they are still slow that is due to low temperature down here is okay because of the help give me a complete fermentation process. It just takes more time and patience . I have met my big plastic tubs covered with towels out of oxygen yeast is doing just fine. :mnyE

Joe, need a little help here. This weekend I am planning to add sulfite, stir vigorously, add sorbate, stir vigorously and degas. Then add Kieselsol, stir gently, and Chitosan from kit and stir gently all from the instructions. I am about a quart short of a full 3 gallons.

Question: If I add brandy to top up will it affect the clearing? I don't want to add the brandy if it is going to keep the Kieselsol and Chitosan from clearing the wine but I also don't want to leave that much head space.

Next of course I would add the Fpac and age.

Coming up short

:b Once you add the F pack how short will you be? I think that is the key as I can see myself coming up short . Do not worry about a first first see how much you come up short . Then we can deal with the volume.

:b Is Is your SG at 1.027 – 1.037? okay the way I see it is that the F pack should give us more than 3 gallons a finished product that we have to work with , . Or, if less should not be much because I am in three Mark in my fermenter as it is , played out. Let me know . I m still going to take a little longer :tz
.. My basement is at 64.and see the fermentation still. ev E though it is coming down.. Slow. as A would expect.. . Stay in touch:tz

:b Once you add the F pack how short will you be?

Mine is basically dry at this point, 1.000 or less. This is like a "catch 22." Yes the fpac will put me over the 3 gallons but the instructions say not to add the fpac until the wine has cleared. How long does that take after I put in the clearing agents? I don't want it sitting in the carboy for a week with that much head space waiting for the wine to clear before I add the fpac.

If the wine is going to clear in a matter of hours then no problem.

Coffee port

Should take only a short time for that little amount to clear, keep moving forward, right behind.:mny

Latest posts

Back