RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are two weeks into our Coffee Port. Just racked it into the carboy. Ours is likewise rather low. We were concerned about this, but at least glad to see that seems to be normal!

Yes, you are OK. At this early stage it is still giving off enough CO2 to protect the wine with the carboy being a little low, provided you have an airlock on it.

Good to hear! Yes ours is under airlock. It smelled amazing when we racked it and actually tasted pretty decent, too. But I like my wines much much sweeter, so I await the final product.

Good to hear! Yes ours is under airlock. It smelled amazing when we racked it and actually tasted pretty decent, too. But I like my wines much much sweeter, so I await the final product.

Yes it is going to be slightly on the dry side until the Fpac gets added.

My white chocolate port is clearing as we speak.. with F pack added as normal during the clearing phase.. interesting how you guys are instructed to wait on the coffee style.

Great, there are now 4 of us (Deanna, Joe, Earl and me) at about the same point with our Coffee Port style. Have any of you added the Fpac yet? Mine has been in the carboy for about 3 weeks now with no Fpac yet, just have not found the time to rack into a another carboy with the Fpac added.

I just got done bottling a kit and starting another. Working on the coffee port is next. It has been clearing for about 3 weeks topped off with brandy. I plan to rack and add the fpac tomorrow.

Great, there are now 4 of us (Deanna, Joe, Earl and me) at about the same point with our Coffee Port style. Have any of you added the Fpac yet? Mine has been in the carboy for about 3 weeks now with no Fpac yet, just have not found the time to rack into a another carboy with the Fpac added.

Haven't added the Fpac yet. It's been in the carboy for a little over a week now. Are any of you planning on aging this?

Haven't added the Fpac yet. It's been in the carboy for a little over a week now. Are any of you planning on aging this?

Definitely going to age, I plan to add Fpac in about a week, then age in the carboy for about 3 months. I am then going to bottle and age for at least another 6 months.,

coffee port

:try sounds like a plan,I'll follow suit,thig,there is a package on it's way to you ,club info,.:try

Racked off the clearing lees and added the fpack. Ended up with 1.5 bottles extra after topping the 3 gallon carboy. I opened the fpack and it smelled like a mocha latte to me. My wife thought it smelled like vanilla coffee. I had a glass left in the carboy to taste. Tastes like coffee with vanilla creamer and sugar. Wow! It is a bit sweet like the other ports I have made. I have not taken a final sg reading yet to see how sweet. I may do that tonight yet or tomorrow. This may quickly become a favorite after proper aging.

Sounds delicious, curious did you mix it in a larger container and then rack back to the 3 gallon?

You are correct, Thig. I poured the fpack into a spare glass 6 gallon. I then vacuum racked the base port off the clearing lees into the coffee fpack in the 6 gallon and swirled it around a little. I bottled two bottles and vacuum racked the rest back to the three gallon carboy. After topping the carboy I ended up with 1 and half bottles extra. This is really good. Reminds me of drinking coffee with vanilla creamer. The best part is the kick on the finish from the brandy. A little bit of this goes a long ways.
The answer to a previous question is I too am going to age this for a while. I still plan on bottling this on April 16th on a certain persons birthday.

Last edited:
I racked today and added the Fpac, I had about 1 bottle left after topping off the 3 gallon carboy. It taste really good at this young age, just a little hot on the alcohol. This should be great after it ages and mellows for a while.

coffee port

:db You must be a mind reader, I was thinking about not doing mine today I ran several bottles that I chose, have the labels already prepared and yes I'm going to add coffee beans I think that will be the keynote this particular kit. If you chew a coffee and allow it to explode in your mouth the coffee flavor is immense and that's what I want to happen when you open this bottle, an explosion of flavor I also going to commit to for small bottles to ship out to you guys for doing this in concert with me.:db

:db I was thinking, should I fortify this and Brandy are not and to that end I'm going to let my tester be the judge, so for you guys who were doing this with me, I have already allowed enough port to ship out to use. E-mail me with your address and by the end of the week or so will be going out to you, let's see with this is great experiment has delivered.:b:b:b:b:b:b:b

Joe, that is most generous of you and I will repay you with a bottle of mine when it is bottled. I have already fortified mine and plan to add a small piece of vanilla bean to a few of the bottles. Would you like one with or without the vanilla. I will pm you my mailing address.

Back