RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, I too find you offer generous and would like to send you some of mine when I get it bottled. It has been great to make this kit together guys.

My original idea was to fortify the port with hazelnut brandy. Since I couldn't find what I was looking for, I used regular brandy instead. I still wanted a few bottles with hazelnut flavor and wondered how to get that. I could use hazelnut syrup but it already is as sweet as I want to go. The alcohol content is also as high as I want to go so any further fortification such as Frangelica would be too much.

Then it suddenly hit me.:slp Joes coffee bean idea is brilliant. I could infuse a few bottles with hazelnut coffee beans. I could also infuse a few bottles with Thig's vanilla bean idea in vanilla flavored coffee beans. I could also try Irish cream.
Thinking outside the box, right Joe?
Just to see if I am thinking right, Joe. You were going to use two coffee beans per bottle. Is that the small 375 ml bottles that I will be using?

Coffee port

:u OK,hows the coffee port coming along I will make a earnest attempt to send my samplers out this week to those of you involved,any changes to yours?:u

I want ed to send mine out early so you would get a chance to taste the boost my expansion has had on the port,if you try the port prior to you being able to bottle your own,then send back to me yours in the bottle I'm sending to you ,when you get the package you'll understand......good luck :u

:u OK,hows the coffee port coming along

Joe I am a partner in a CPA firm and we are up to our necks in taxes right now. It will be after April 15th before I have a chance to bottle it so it is bulk aging. I will be in touch however and look forward to trying yours after a long hard day doing tax returns.

thig

:u THIG,not a problem as stated before,relax,I also need to do this on my time frame and want you to have this as in advance,just enjoy,.:h

yours JP

I've been enjoying following you thread here! I am getting ready to start my toasted caramel port this week. I was planning on using a vanilla licor to top off. Did you guys still end up really shy of the 3 gallons after ending your f-pack? What do you think about using a licor instead of a brandy or port to top off? Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Glad you enjoyed following along. This was my first port style wine so I really can't comment on the licor/brandy differences, hopefully someone else has experience in this area. The flavor pac addition did get it to a little over 3 gallon. The concern I had was that the coffee port instructions said not to add the Fpac until just before bottling. I followed the instructions and added the Fpac as if I was going to bottle but it is still in the carboy.

Coffee port

]

It just so happens that this weekend was the Hammonton wine contest I entered four wines and if you read back, you will see three of my four wines did not even score well and I could not understand that at all , but all is not lost my coffee port took . First place . As the judges choice , and also best of show . . If you go back read the thread you will see how I adjusted this port . . Winning this contest with this style of wine was a long shot at best , here in the heart of red wine country these people unanimously voted for my coffee port of a possible score of 200 I received 197 . there were pictures taken and I will post them as soon as possible , . This is a kit that has extreme possibilities 's . and for those of you we are going to share a taste of the port , . Please read the previous thread on how it was made ................:hug

Congratulations Joe ! Glad your hard work paid off. I made a Chocolate Raspberry Port last fall. I'm bulk aging till next fall. I did steal a bottle to have soon. Bakervinyard

Joe, that is great news. Did you enter the ones with the coffee beans in the bottle?

Coffee port

:wyYes, this is the one I added the coffee beans to, but that was just a minor step. This was a process – ferment out base wine – racked and let us set –right the second time –.this should be in your second month and should be crystal clear –and your F pack – blending in –. Now comes the departure from the norm –and 4 tablespoons of powdered Oak – and 4 tablespoons of instant coffee , any type –blended in – make sure you are fully topped off. Even if you have to racked it down –, let it set ,put the airlock or in 24 hours go back and tasted, it is ready for bottling . If anything do the same you can age in the bottle . These kits are meant to be drunk young, aging really does not improve them in my opinion,so your ready to rock 'n roll ,you remember when we started this thread. I have already entered it in a competition..

There is a trick to this also, before I added the into the contest. I wanted to make sure that there was no sediment and above all I got the coffee beans out – four per bottle – I did not want anybody choking on them so I ran through my mystical Mr. Coffee filter, took my time and made sure that what was in the bottle was pure. Just like with the raisins chopping them up. I see no need for that. Take your time doing things like this, it all pays off in the end, they paid off for me. E now I have think about next year, coming up. I will be doing the Vineland amateur wine contest are going to take it nationally...............:wy

Last edited:
Joe! You are a genius.

I made this kit and the coffee port came out tasting VERY sweet, almost like fake, imitation coffee candy. And I have a sweet tooth!

After reading your post about adding oak, I tried it. I added 30 g of dark toasted oak to the three gallon carboy...tasted two days later...and PRESTO! It tastes so much better.

The flavor profile is still sweet, but not aggressively so. It's so much more balanced.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!

crinton

If you think send me the difference, try putting a couple tablespoons of instant coffee see how that which set up it becomes outstanding and if you were to have increase the alcohol by volume to 10 . 11% it would have then the, outstanding with the new additives. Try it
try it.....................:u

Ok , I started my coffee port on sat 19 Oct.

S.G was 1.12 to start

took off like a racehorse no problem.

Good suggestions here in this thread:

coffee beans
vanilla beans
instant coffee
powdered oak

I'll see...

Coffee port

follow the thread wine good wines gone bad, COFFEE PORT...FOLLOW ALONG WITH USE .....................:wy

Ok , I started my coffee port on sat 19 Oct.

S.G was 1.12 to start

took off like a racehorse no problem.

Day 10 transfer wine at 1.002 to carboy jugs.

Potential ABV is 17.39% to 16.03%.
Maybe starting S.G .was 1.13 - don't know if I added .01 to above S.G. or not. I have written down 1..12 + .01 = 1.13 in my notes. Working with .01 offset is messy - ugh.
I guess it will be what it will be.

When it comes to bottle time I may add some instant coffee, ground oak powder, pixie dust, , newt’s eye, a frog’s tongue, fur from a bat, a dog’s tongue, the forked tongue of an adder, the stinger of a burrowing worm, a lizard’s leg depending on availability and taste.,

S.G remained at .992 consistent over 3 days. Offset most likely + .01 so might be 1.002.
maybe...
These ordinary hydrometers are just useless, I don't even care much anymore except to get maybe relative readings..When it's off that much what does a reading at the end of the scale really mean? And what's the point of wasting more money buying another of the same.?

Speaking of faulty equipment - the wine thief leaks too badly to take an S.G - I have to use the hydrometer case for that - and the little thingmee to measure absolute alcohol content - doesn't work - when I turn it upside down all the liquid falls out. I can just see myslef buying 30 of everything before I might find anything of quality.
forget it.

I put the wine in 2 times 3 litre jug + 1 times 4 litre jug = a total of 10 litres?

How did 12 litres become 10 ? Evaporation?
The lees were not more that 300-ml. estimate or prob 100-150ml.
I checked the jugs filling others with water I used a one litre pop bottle as a measuring tool having a mark on it where i filled the bottle with 4 exact cups of water. -
the 1 gal takes 4 litres exactly to where i filled the wine right up the neck. . The 3 litre takes 3 litres similarity.
4 + 3 + 3 = 10

Hmmm.....

oh well

what i got is what i got...

I leave it in the jugs til day 14 then I will process it - re-rack each bottle - use mixer stir to stir degas each bottle - put in 5 gal carboy very temporary a to add the rest of the finishing stuff (minus the F-pack) then back to the jugs to finish to wait to to make the 42 day mark. :ib d

Last edited:
I dont understand why you would call this a port wine....what you made is a wine with a high abv, not a port wine.

I dont understand why you would call this a port wine....what you made is a wine with a high abv, not a port wine.

Well because the box says RJ Spagnols "Coffee Port" and so do the labels. :)

That's all I know about it.

---

Though if it's as you say I don't understand Why I couldn't add water or water and sugar and make 30 bottles instead of a paltry 13 or 14. I just made a Rhubarb at 15 percent 33 bottles and all the ferment comes from sugar.

Back