RJ Spagnols Coffee Port started - RJSpagnols

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
A few of us decided to start our Coffee Port today or soon. I am starting this thread so we can follow the progress. Hopefully the others will join in soon.

Temp of must - 70°
Starting SG - 1.120
Added Bentonite
Added 2 packs of Lalvin EC-1118

I plan to follow the directions as closely as possible. There was a change on the directions to add the flavor pack only after the wine has completely cleared and then just before bottling. I will decide whether our not to fortify later. If it ferments dry I should end up with about 16-17% abv.

Thig, I made this last year and followed directions as written. In the end a month before bottling I added a partial bottle of Hazelnut brandy.

Curious why you chose Hazlenut. Do you just like Hazlenut coffee?

Good question, I don't even drink or like coffee. Hazelnut seams to be a popular creamer though in the dairy case so I chose that brandy. I do like the coffee port. I also love walking down the coffee isle where they grind it fresh (love the aroma).

LOL Dan! I don't like coffee either but love the smell of the fresh ground beans in the stores.

I started mine earlier today also. The temperature started at 64 degrees and I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees after bringing it up with a brew belt. My starting SG was 1.118. I will leave the brew belt on until it gets a few degrees warmer then hopefully fermentation will keep it at the temperature I want.
Mine also included two packs of ec1118.
Dan, I have been wondering if I should fortify this kit and what to use. I like hazelnut and I am just about ready to bottle a Chocolate Hazelnut port. How did this kit turn out fortified with hazelnut brandy?

It turned out fine. Everyone likes it. I did add the entire bottle as I wasn't going for high alcohol. Let the wine sit a month before bottling to let the two marriage.

coffee port

Going to start this kit by the end of the week,I'll run very close to the instructions,the bottles have been ready for months now and the labels are ready to wear,I'll reread the instructions again,the one thing I will add to half the batch in the end is 2/coffee beans per bottle,sort of like the worm in the tequila bottle,can't hurt I've used coffee bean extracts before and there's know problem with the addition to the base.

MAY THE PORT BE WITH YOU:HB

I will add to half the batch in the end is 2/coffee beans per bottle,sort of like the worm in the tequila bottle,can't hurt I've used coffee bean extracts before and there's know problem with the addition to the base.

I like coffee but not the real strong dark coffee, I will probably do a lot of tasting before I vary too much from the kit.

Coffee beans

:wyONE OR TWO SHOULD GIVE THE PORT A TASTE OF CHOCOLATE IN SHORT ORDER,NOT STRONG AS IS ESPRESSO COFFEE,BUT A CLASSIC HINT OF CHOCOLATE...TRY ONE BOTTLE,:trySHOULD BE A VERY ENHANCING TASTE,SMOOTH;)

Inspired by a trip to volcano winery on the big island where they have a Macadamia nut honey wine infused with black tea that I liked, I have infused tea into my peach ice wine and found I really liked it. So I think it would be fun to infuse one or two bottles of this port with coffee beans to experiment a bit.

Day 2:

Must temp - 70.5°
SG - 1.100

I may try a bottle or two with the coffee beans.

Day 3:

Must temp - 70.7°
SG - 1.075

Smells so good.

Day three for me also. The temp is at 70 degrees and the SG is at 1.086. The room I have it in is at 62 degrees and the brew belt accidentally got turned off this morning. I found the temp when I came home at 64 degrees. The brew belt is back on and temp is up. It is back to fermenting happily again. I agree. It smells great. Then again I love the smell of wine fermenting.

Sounds Good, I am measuring the actual temperature of the must and it is about 4 to 5 degrees higher than the room temp. The room I have it in is about 65 to 66 degrees.

Coffee port

:ft Okay, I will start mine today, ambient is 62° ,the cast of usual suspects are in the box. I checked the yeast content . There are using Lalvin EC 1118 and just for your basic information here is why .

:u Is one of the most popular wine yeast in the world. Instruments well at low temperatures, and produces very compact fermentation, and four late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for for Apple , Crabapple, cranberry, and cherry wines . It has an excellent properties and should be in every vintners refrigerator . It has potential of alcohol level about 18% and instruments relatively fast . It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° . However, it is not tolerant ofconcurrent malolactic , fermentation.
OT

Okay Okay so we meet it temperature, to meet our high alcohol content , ready to start I get back to you into my starting SG is on day one. :uY

the one thing I will add to half the batch in the end is 2/coffee beans per bottle,sort of like the worm in the tequila bottle

I like an occasional cup of French vanilla coffee. I wonder how it would turn out to put a small piece of vanilla bean in a bottle or two?

Coffee port

The vanilla bean sounds excellent,. Just remember a small amount goes a long long long way , especially good vanilla bean not extract.:pty
day 2 fermentation starts

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back