CLEANING TUBING

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a good trick for sanitizing your tubing.

I have been just sinking it in my bucket of star san but I am never sure if the entire tubing length gets treated.

Thanks

I attach it to the autosiphon and pump k-meta solution through it. I then let it drip a bit and make sure the autosiphon is empty.

+1
smiley20.gif

appleman said:
I attach it to the autosiphon and pump k-meta solution through it. I then let it drip a bit and make sure the autosiphon is empty.

I do this too

I have a spray bottle of K-meta solution. When sanatizing the tube I spray some solution into the tube then by holding the tubein a big "U" shape I run the solution back and forth in the tube. Thus wetting all the internal surfaces.

smiley23.gif
and another one is to coil your tubing counterclockwise in your pail and then with only a little fluid at the bottom needed, tilt the bucket and rotate it clockwise, watch the fluid "climb" up the inside of the tubing...
( old technique pump, see "archimedes screw" )
this is a designer model (the "corkscrew" tubing rotates)
http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Screw/applications/Pye_screw_big.jpg

Pretty much the same.....I make up kmeta and keep it in one of my one gallon jugs.Ifmaking a one gallon fruit wine, I just siphon the kmeta solution from the jug to the one gallon jug I'm using for the wine.

If sanitizing a3-6 gallon carboy, I first funnel the kmeta to the carboy to sanitize it, then use the largerauto siphon to siphon the kmeta back to the jug.

WOW this is an old thread you replied to. It is worth bringing up though as I have changed my practice. After washing the tubing I still spray some k-meta in them but now I immediately store all of my tubing in a five gallon bucket with an half gallon jug of k-meta. The vapors are continuously keeping them sanitized a lot better then hanging out on my peg board. All of my tubing is also labeled as to which filter or filler it belong to.

Latest posts

Back