Odor in vinyl tubing from Home Depot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased some 3/4" OD vinyl tubing from HoDePo the other day. When I picked it up I noticed a distinct chemical odor. I checked the box and saw the NSF symbol on it and purchased it. We washed it but the odor persisted so we decided not to rack. It is currently been soaking in a mixture of sal soda and oxyclean overnight.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, will the tubing impart any off flavors during racking?

Rinsed and drying. Still stinks.

The tubing I've purchased from LBS's and Morewine do not have an odor. The new tubing was made in China. I don't know where the other places are sourcing theirs.

Rinsed and drying. Still stinks.

The tubing I've purchased from LBS's and Morewine do not have an odor. The new tubing was made in China. I don't know where the other places are sourcing theirs.
Is sounds like outgassing from the extrusion process. The best way to eliminate it is in the open air, preferably sunshine. If that is not practical, I would hang it in a garage. The gasses are bad for humans if they are trapped in the house in any quantity. If this tubing was made in China, it is difficult to identify the gas. I avoid products made in China, not for political reason but because it has been my experience their products are poorly made.

Saved the receipt. It will soon be the problem for the big box on the four lane.

Not recommended.
Yes. “Food safe” and “smells like gasoline” shouldn’t mix.

I’ve only used small pieces of the tubing I have. And the smell isn’t bad, but noticeable. I think I’ll buy some new tubing as well.

Latest posts

Back