Cleaning Glass Carboys

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by kuziwk, Jan 9, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 23, 2018 #41

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

ANY plastic container is going to get scratches over time. They may be small but regardless they will catch stains at the least. The problem with a wide mouth container is that for aging it's a lot harder to minimize air exposure - you have to really top it off very close to the top to reduce the volume of air.

I can manage getting a brush inside my carboys and if you do a good cleaning as soon as it's emptied, it's far less likely to collect anything. If you let what was in there dry....then it's scrubbing time for sure.

2. Jan 18, 2020 #42

hitchiker

hitchiker

hitchiker

Junior

any body tried alka seltzer to clean carboys

3. Jan 19, 2020 #43

Bill Pet

Bill Pet

Bill Pet

Junior

I rinse the carboy immediately after use and then swish with an unscented oxyclean solution. I sometimes need to use a brush for the very upper part of the carboy which gets dried foam on it. End result: an absolutely spotless carboy. Been doing it for four years and haven't had a problem.

jgmann67, Chuck E and Ignoble Grape like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2020 #44

aabshire

aabshire

aabshire

Junior

Same here, turn them upside down in a carboy holder until dry then store upright with paper towel in opening. When ready to use again swish with sanitizer

jgmann67 and Ignoble Grape like this.
  5. Jan 20, 2020 #45

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Same. Get all my carboys second hand. Mostly from home brewers who never bother to rinse - caked with gunk. A nice overnight soak with oxyclean and they sparkle. Minimum elbow grease. I'm always a skeptic when it comes to the newest chemical cleaner, but even my mom who used the oxyclean on her clothes when she came over is a convert.

6. Jan 20, 2020 #46

crushday

crushday

crushday

Grape juice artisan WMT Supporter

I use PBW, let it soak overnight and then rinse. I then store them upside down in a milk crate with a 2/4 jammed in the corner to keep it upright. I don't add Kmeta any longer. When I did I would spritz, as to conserve, the inside of the carboy. I would then install a stopper and put it away. What happened to me was the kmeta dried and left clear deposits on the inside of the carboy, only noticeable when they were re-filled with wine. Soaking them and using a carboy brush was not help. PBW cleared it right up.

7. Jan 20, 2020 #47

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

1) This is essentially a dead conversation. Read for info but if you want to ask a question or have a comment about cleaning - Start a new thread. You can paste a reference to this thread but start a new one. Wading back through the old comments is not something anyone wants to do unless they need to glean some info from it.

Show some initiative and start a new thread - You are far more likely to get responses that way.

8. Jan 20, 2020 #48

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Dang. Scooter is grumpy today...........................LOL!!

Rocky, Ajmassa and jgmann67 like this.
  9. Jan 20, 2020 #49

Ajmassa

Ajmassa

Ajmassa

Just a Guy

@Scooter68 - who are you speaking to? I honestly couldn’t tell because there’s been a handful of replies here since being bumped.

Compared to most others, this was a pretty interesting thread IMO. And was thoroughly entertained wading back through the old comments. And i was perfectly ok with it.
    Plus I think it’s kinda cool to have an ongoing thread where everyone’s chiming in with their personal carboy cleaning techniques.
    I can’t be sure but I’m thinking you may have misinterpreted something along the way here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  10. Jan 21, 2020 #50

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

nah.... Not me. :i

Draft saved Draft deleted