Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job there buddy. I do like the wood stove idea, that would be very nice with the crackling going on and just that smell. I know I would be in heaven in a place like that.

Coming along nicely.

Looks COLD in there like there is NO HEAT!
smiley5.gif

Mike we don't like working where it is too warm. I have a heater for there but haven't used it in a while now. If you turn it on, you are sweating in no time.

I'm stuck in the office today doing work to make money instead of in there spending money.
smiley36.gif

Another quick update. First the snow starting to move off the roof. It always looks cool.

20110208_103351_UpdatedTastingR.JPG

Next a look at part of the bar taking shape.

20110208_103423_UpdatedTastingR.JPG

And then a look at the entrance wall- it will get trim.

20110208_103526_UpdatedTastingR.JPG

A look at the soffits- again needs corner trim

20110208_103615_UpdatedTastingR.JPG
20110208_103625_UpdatedTastingR.JPG

Coming together nicely Rich, I was wondering why you went from diagonal placement to vertical on the pics posted a few days ago.

Now I see the method to your madness!
smiley32.gif

Rich that bar is really looking cool as is the whole place. How the heck did you catch that snow like that. I can't believe it didn't break off at the edge before you got the picture.

wow Rich sure looks like a labor of love. love the pine and the diagonals, have 1 wall in our living room i made diagonal many years ago.

what is the depth of your walls? how much and what kind of insulation did you use?

everything looks great and we sure are proud of youl

later

rrawhide :) :) :) :) :)
smiley20.gif

mIkE, i AM a BiT mAD!
Dan the snow was sliding slowly last evening like a glacier as it was just about frrezing and then it froze up overnight. I had about 4 foot overhanging- not the most I have ever seen. One year it was at least 6 feet over and curled in almost a complete circle.

Rick the wall is 8 inches thick, but only uses 6 inches of insulation. That is why I need extra jamb extensions when doing the trim.

The bar will get a lot fancier with time and money, but will begin rather plain. I was going to start with a table and tablecloth, but it really hasn't taken a lot of extra wood and I think it dresses the area up while keeping the rustic look.

Just think, I suggested a few years ago that we go in together and purchase some land in a perfect location for a winery and vineyard. It was right on the south point of Cumberland Head on Lake Champlain overlooking Plattsburgh Bay and Vermont. This was the location of the pivotal Battle of Plattsburgh whichinsured our nation's liberty in 1814. We could still buy a pretty good lot and chunk of land before it is all gone..........................

"The bar will get a lot fancier with time and money, but will begin
rather plain. I was going to start with a table and tablecloth, but it
really hasn't taken a lot of extra wood and I think it dresses the area
up while keeping the rustic look."

i would not worry the least about looks...you could roll out an old table, some rickety chairs and let the wine do the talking....oh you need one more thing, make sure you have some greenbacks in your pocket for when you need to give back change :)

Unfortunately Al the State of New York is a bit harder than that. I need to get pictures to them in the next week or so of my "finished winery and tasting room". They want to see what it will look like for when the doors open, even though I won't officially be opening it for another month or two. I have been operating on what they call a Temporary Permit. They gave me notice that I was issued a full Permit, but with the condition of the pictures. This sped up my deadlines a bit as they said once I got the full permit, they don't give a new Temporary, basically stating - comply or begin the process all over and quit making and selling wine.

sorry you are not closer or i would come by today

but since your deadline is that tight and if you get in a final pinch...call or message me and i will come up...just give me a couple of days notice and as long as there is no snow coming here for me to worry about the greenhouses i can come up

Rich, like Al said, if you are in a pinch and need a woodworker give me a shout out and Ill comer up and help on the weekends! Have plenty of tools here also, pretty much anything and am also willing to lend you it until you are done. I have a planer, table saw, many many air tools of any kind like headless pin uns all the way up to 3 1/2" framing nails.

They will issue the next level up (full) permit based on how your winery and tasting room look?
Wow! Now isn't that subjective?

Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine.

I will be submitting pictures to them either tomorrow of the next day. It may not be absolutely complete, but the main structure and finsih is there now. Judging by the other wineries permitted in the area, I will be fine. I figure I will send them pictures with 10 days to spare and if they want more, I will deal with them then. I got more done today and I think it is looking great! I can't believe they would require the poly finish or trim work to be on, but if they do, I will deal with it. I do design houses for a living after all. I just usually don't have to build them, just design them to be built.

Latest posts

Back