Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich those are great pictures. I thought you put up a double curtain on your first vines? I remember you making the bracket for the top. Also why did you go with 4x4's instead of the old locust posts. I'm assuming you got the 4x4's on sale for less. Again those babies really look happy! Thanks for sharing.

Dan the small home vineyard is a hodgepodge of training systems, posts, anchors etc. It is meant as a demonstration vineyard for all those things. Folks can stop by when they have a question about anything to do with the vines and I can pretty much show them. The first ones on 4x4's are Frontenac. The ones with the double curtain with brackets are every 4th row in the training system trial. Ther eis a picture in there showing the early growth on it. There is Top Wire Cordon, Modified Geneva Double Curtain, Vertical Shoot Postitioning and Scott-Henry.

I did not have time to mount the backdrop to shoe the vines better. I will do that when I get the chance. I am preparing for a Relay For Life Wine and Cheese Tasting at my place on June 2, so I will be pretty busy until then.

Lookin great Rich!
Can definitely tell spring has sprung around there
Cant wait to see how your season progresses.
Which variety is that, with the double curtain?

Edit: Lol guess we posted at the same time there... Frontenac might be the answer i was lookin for lol

Dang, Bud break was 10 days ago and you have that much growth already.......

I am taking my iPad out the my vines and showing them their potential! I have that much and had bud break 4 weeks ago! :)

Very nice!

When things start growing here, they grow like their life depends on it because they know that it is a short growing season. They held at bud swell for over a month, then one day, they all said, Hey, it's time to grow now- and they did.

Man, that almost looks like a vineyard! LOL, as usual Rich.that looks so impressive! How are the legs doing?

The sign has letters routered into it and stained mahogany. The HIP logo is also routered in at two depths. The trunks and limbs are deeper than the branches and needles which are stained green. Keith (the one bitten by the brown recluse) did a great job with it. I had him mount it with brown scres hidden in the letters in the curls in them at the ends of the letters.

The grapes are growing like weeds here. We have gone past bloom and berry set and they are between BB size and pea size. Here are some pictures in the trial.
Comparing Marquette on TWC(left) and Mod GDC (right)
Then some other shots.

CompareTWCModGDC Marquette.jpg

VSPStPepin.jpg

VSPPetiteAmie.jpg

VSPMarquette.jpg

TWCMn1200.jpg

TWCMarquette (2).jpg

ScottHenryStPepin.jpg

ModGDCMn1200.jpg

ModGDCMarquette.jpg

Marquette-Botrytis.jpg

I am not seeing a whole lot of lateral shoot growth. Or should I say nowhere near yours. Is that just immature vines or soil nutrients perhaps? I just hit them all with a good dose of fertilizer a few nights ago and already am seeing some new/faster leaf growth. It was about 3 weeks since last dose. I think once we get some moisture they will bust out with more lateral growth (thats what happened last summer anyways) . Just too hot at the moment even with drip irrigation.

Mike what you see in mine is ZERO laterals yet believe it or not! The biggest laterals are on the Mn1200 TWC and those are about 2 inches long. It is all primary shoots! They are really growing like weeds. I probably should fertilize a bit, but am reluctant too until the grapes get a bit more size otherwise they will need a machette to get through them.

Back