Challenge - $5 gal of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see it now...Scuba wins a medal on his $5 wine, and all the fast food joints have to start locking up the sugar and jellies!
smiley36.gif

GO SCUBA GO!!!
smiley17.gif
By the way, ordered the MM VN Barolo this afternoon.
smiley4.gif

Ok so im planning on starting this today. For the jelly I was going to use some red grape jelly. I have white grape concentraite though. I dont think it should make any difference. Im planning on using about 2 tsp of jelly.

What is 2 teaspoons of jelly going to do for a gallon of wine? I don't think that is enough to add much body and may introduce enough bound pectins to leave it permanently hazy. There isn't much sugar in that 2 teaspoons either to raise alcohol levels.

Scuba, I just have to ask.
smiley36.gif

I see that you must like Weird Al...... AndAl is obsessed with his lucky, lucky autographed glow in the dark snorkel ( "It is like a snorkel to him") you go by the name Scubaman. Do you have the same obsession?
Weird_Al.jpg

Just kidding. This is a picture of scuba collecting sugar and jelly on the dark streets. What a trooper!!
smiley36.gif

Scubaman2151 said:
How about a recomendation then?

Good question Scube. I have no idea about that. I would add a half jar to start, but then I have no idea
smiley36.gif

Oh... and we need to keep it under $5 total.......

I always thought that was scuba back in the day. scubaitlooks like 1 tbsp spoon has 13 grams ofsgso 2 table spoons would bealmostan oz of sg. I think?? letme know if that works out with the hydrometer.

Jack Keller's Site is always a go-to...

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request231.asp

</span><center>Making Wine from Jelly</font>

</center>

<ul>[*]4 lbs (36 fl oz) any flavor jelly
[*]1 lb granulated sugar
[*]5 tsp powdered pectic enzyme
[*]2-3 tsp citric acid *
[*]1/2 tsp powdered grape tannin
[*]water to one gallon
[*]1-1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
[*]1 pkt general purpose wine yeast
[/list]

* This really depends on the jelly. Add 2 teaspoons for high acid fruit, 3 teaspoons for low acid fruit. Other
considerations: add more tannin for tannin-neutral jellies, like peach or apple mint. You can match the wine yeast
to the fruit, just as you would for the fresh fruit itself, or simply use a general purpose yeast you like.

Bring 3 quarts of water to boil, remove from heat and stir in all the jelly. Cover and set aside 4-5 hours
(until room temperature). Transfer to primary, stir in pectic enzyme, cover primary, and set aside 3 days (72
hours). Transfer back to pot and bring to a boil and hold boil for 5 minutes. Put sugar, citric acid, powdered
tannin, and yeast nutrient in primary. Pour liquid over dry ingredients in primary and stir until sugar is
dissolved. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. At the same time, begin a yeast starter. When
liquid is cool, check specific gravity and adjust to 1.095. Transfer to secondary but do not top up. Add activated
yeast starter solution and cover with paper towel held in place with a rubber band. After 3 days seal with airlock.
When vigorous fermentation subsides (5-7 days), top up; this will reduce the alcohol level slightly to a more
amenable 11.5-12%. Wait 30 days and rack, sulfite, top up, and reattach airlock. Rack every 30 days (sulfite every
other racking) until no new sediment forms and wine is clear. If wine doesn't fall perfectly clear in 60 days, add
another teaspoon of pectic enzyme and wait 2 weeks. If still not clear, add another teaspoon. [NOTE: Be sure pectic
enzyme has been stored properly. If wine does not clear after adding 7 teaspoons, replace the pectic enzyme.]

Stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 30 days, and bottle. Might taste after 3 months, but really should wait 6 or
longer. [Author's own recipe]

</span>

You can buy a big jar of Generic Grape Jelly for under $2....I feed it to the Orioles in spring.

I think the Welch's Frozen Concentrate [any flavor]would be a good deal when on sale...or Generic brand.

A small bag of Cranberries would be pretty cheap right now also.......... A gallon of Cranberry wine?

I dont mind adding in that much jelly if needed. However my question is on the color, I got white grape concentraite becuase I obvisoly wanted to make a white wine, so if I add in red grape jelly how will that effect the final color of the wine? Should I look for a green grape jelly? Lol do they even make that?
P.S.- Lol I am actually Weird Al.....jk jk

I dont know, I just really liked that picture of him so I threw it up as my avatar.

P.S.S- Oh btw, I hit the $5 limit. $4 for two cans of grape concentraite, $1 for yeast packet.

There are white grape jellies and there are white jellies such as apple. I havent seen any white grape in a economy version, its always a more expensive version.

Latest posts

Back