Challenge - $5 gal of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Its been awhile since I have been on here but I have a question for you guys. I want to try and make a not great but ok-good gallon of wine for less then $5. Im thinking getting sugar from the dollar store and then 2 of those Welchs frozen grape concentrate things. Thaw the concentrate, add water to make 1 gal and adjust to aim for 1.080-1.100.

See any problems?

Scuba

Just the fact that it will be lacking body and lots of flavor.
Why are you trying to make a mediocre wine?
Edited by: wade

Im going to stay away from the banana becuase if I eat one it really makes my ears and throat hurt and I dont want it to be in the wine.

Thanks for the suggestions though, keep them coming, thories as well if you have any.

Scubaman2151

I have the same problem with bananas Scuba, but they don't have that affect when used in the wine. They just add body, no real flavor. If you don't want to use them though, I would add some untreated raisins. They really add body to wines without a lot of cost.

A cheap jar of jelly can add a little flavor. Maybe one in the cabinet nobody's been eating.

You could getthe sugar andjelly packs free at McDonalds. I think that I could make a $1.00 gal of wine. Where can you get free raisins?----- Hey the grapes at the market are free if you pick them one at a time.

Wait--- Wait--- Wait , You could grow the grapes on a vine and add $4.00 in sugar and a dollar in yeast. Edited by: Rocky Top

Let's see...too late to scrounge free fruit off the trees and bushes.....

$1 for yeast [or so]
Look for sales on frozen juices....use 3 cans for more body....69¢ each....
I like the free sugar idea from McDonald's...and the jelly too...

Did anyone say it has to be good wine????

The stores generally have the frozen drink mixes on sale for 5 for 3 dollars. You could get the Strawberry Daiquiri mix or strawberry whatever it's called. Five of them would make a descent wine and cut down on the amount of sugar, so now you only need a 2 pound bag.

OR...............

You could borrow another $2.50 from a friend and make a $7.50 gallon of wine, then give your friend a bottle when done!

I think 2 cans per gallon is thin and think like everyone else here that 3 is minimum.

He hasbeen bannedfrom McDonalds and charged with shop lifting at the grocery store. Was last seen scrounging dumpsters
smiley36.gif

I also heard he's banned from Perkin's too. He took too many jelly packets!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

Latest posts

Back