Challenge - $5 gal of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so fermentation on this seems like its almost done, with the sound of the crackle and all. I dont have a SG number for ya sorry. So I need to rack this into secondary, however how I am suppossed to do that, there is so much foam still on this wont it clog up my airlock?

I would check sg as before racking. That foam typically resides quite a bit as sg gets close to racking time, could be wrong but I have never seen that much foam at a near finished fermentation.

That is my thinking also Wade and Scuba. If you still have a lot of foam, it probably is still too active to transfer yet. As fermentation subsides, the bubbles die down.

So I moved this to secondary today. The SG is 1.020, and I have to say that fermentation is done because there is no more bubbles coming out of the airlock nor that crackle that you usually hear. This wine had so much yeasty foam on top of it, beforeI moved it into the secondary I literally took a ice cream scoop and scooped out all the yeasty crap on top. It foamed up a lot as well during the transfer because I poured it, I didn't siphon it. I also didn't want fermentation to restart in the glass jug so I added 1/4 tsp of k-meta, and 1/2 tsp of sorbate to stabilize it.

When I added the k-meta it made that volcano foam come out the top, so once everything settled down I hooked up my brake bleeder to it and I'm trying to suck out some of the big bubbles and gas.

Scuba

Hmmmm ,
I think that someone else has already asked but HHeee HHHHHhheeee Ummmm????What are hhhhaaaahhhhhHHHHHHeeee you fermenting ?HHHHHaaa AAAhhh?? Ohh never mind!!

I wonder why the bubbles did not fade away? It must be the jelly. I am sure that it is ok. HHee haa haaa..................Scubbing bubbles???

I don't think I would have stopped it at 1.020- still pretty high. That's gonna be really sweet! It will keep the alcohol down though. You sure did get a lot of foam there.

So who is going to be the first to try the Scuba Wine? We need a volunteer. Volunteers????????? Anybody????????????

I dont think I really stopped it, it seemed done yesterday. I kept it in front of the heater to keep it warm and it stopped bubbling and the crackle of the bubbles had stopped, so even if I had stopped it with the chemicals it was already on its last leg it seemed.
Scubaman2151

Is this a gallon batch Scuba? Thats a lot of k-meta for a gallon batch!

Ya its a gallon, true its a lot but it will last a long time :). There is a very yeasty smell to this wine as well. I used a full packet when I pitched the yeast, could that be why that smell is so strong?

Ive made quite a few gallon batches, not as many as NW(shes the queen of car babies) but really have never noticed anything that different, maybe it had something to do with the scrubbing bubbles!
smiley36.gif
I would not add any more to this ever and dont give any to anyone who is sulfite sensitive!!!!!!!!!

I ain't scar't!!! I will drink "Scuba's Super Sulfite Scrubbing Bubbles Scrounge Wine!!"
smiley20.gif

wade said:
Now I just spit out my Strawberry/ Kiwi wine! You guys are killing me!
I would spit it out too, Cus it can'tcompare to "Scuba's Super Sulfite Scrubbing Bubbles Scrounge Wine!!"
smiley36.gif

Back