CATCH OF THE DAY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kdcurl said:
NW

Do you get those pics with a flash, or do you use a light?
smiley1.gif

Keith

No flash...just the camera. It is dark in the house, so the hole kind of illuminates...The snow has drifted up around the house, so it's now blocking some of the light now.

Our friends pulled their big house off the lake [many have pulled off]....They plowed us a beautiful road with a turn around area...we could take the car out there. We took the old jalopy out yesterday, it groaned and squeaked in the cold...but once it warmed up it purred right along....

Won't be going out there today....

kdcurl said:
NW
I forget the diff. between C and F. Iguess that would be +6F
Keith

Some of the temps are like this...

-0°F = -17°C
-19°F = -28°C
-25°F = -31°C
-35°F = -37°C
-40°F = -40°C.......After this nobody really cares....
smiley4.gif

Anything below 60 is cold. We are in the middle of a cold snap, for Florida, right now. Lows are in the 30's and highs in the 60's, with a couple of days not even hitting 60. Even the dog had no interest in going out this morning.
VPC

+6c here today, which is roughly+42*F. Big change from the -35f with 20 mph wind chill we have been having for the past couple of weeks . Yea CHINOOK WINDS!!!

Northern Winos said:
kdcurl said:
NW
I forget the diff. between C and F. Iguess that would be +6F
Keith

Some of the temps are like this...

-0°F = -17°C
-19°F = -28°C
-25°F = -31°C
-35°F = -37°C
-40°F = -40°C.......After this nobody really cares....
smiley4.gif

The coldest temps. I have worked outside in is -73c and believe me you really cares

Northern Winos said:
Appleman....I couldn't find a good photo of spears....Here they are infront of our 'lake-home' late in the season last year....

ghomeSmall.jpg

Northern Winos said:
Appleman....I couldn't find a good photo of spears....Here they are infront of our 'lake-home' late in the season last year....

smiley3.gif
Don't understand this whole "lake-home" thing a pic of our lake home would include a 8" holein front ofa juice bucket.

Keith

ghomeSmall.jpg

Figured we should go out to the lake to clean the ice out of the spear hole after the record cold days...There was a fair amount of ice built up...

Thought we'd sit and watch the fish for awhile....

The usual run of the mill..
Actually a few less than usual...
twoenhancedSmall.jpg
lightenedbassSmall.jpg
peekingSmall.jpg

The Sunfish weren't as thick as usual, and sometimes a whole school would stop and back out...we were joking that there must be a big Northern Pike around for them to act like that...

We were getting a little bored as we said we'd only stay for a couple hours...

Then the big bitch slid in and....
Gotcha!!!!....
gotchaSmall.jpg

Jim let her sink to the bottom and suck up some sand for awhile...

She was a beauty and really strong....13#
niceSmall-1.jpg

A good day at the lake...
13Small.jpg

Life is Good!!!!

That must really get your adrenaline going, She is a beauty and huge too.

Ramona.....Looks really cold there..........Brrrrrr

How deep is the water there? We ice fish here but never new of anyone to spear them. I wonder if it's legal in Colorado!

Jeff

I am surprised at how fat it is for this time of year. There is certainly a lot of food under the ice, but you would think the cold weather would slow them down a lot from feeding.

Ramona....She is a beauty and will fill many plates. It is pretty exciting when a big fish slides into your view...after all the waiting, You don't really have time to think.. it was actually warm today, +8°F feels warm after the past week.

Jeff D..We are set up in about 10 feet of water...Just a few feet away is a bar [not the kind you drink at....it's a sand bar] The depth is only 3 feet deep not far away. So, lots of structure that tends to make the fish take a route. Not many States allow fish spearing, it is an exciting sport, fun to watch the bottom of the lake and all it offers, and selectively 'harvest' only the ones you want.

Appleman...This is a female fish...The big ones are always females. I figured she'd have had a one pound perch or Walleye inside her belly, but only a small Sunfish...and a big sack of fish eggs. [caviar...NO we don't eat them] It's kind of sad in a way to see all those eggs when you butcher her...So it goes.

It actually weighed 13# 11 oz....Quite a nice fish...
insideSmall.jpg
goodSmall-2.jpg

It had a scar on her side where someone had speared her at another time, maybe a year or so ago, it was all healed over....her battle scars.

So, this is a good day for the fisherman and a bad day for a fish.
Such is Life.

Questions:
I guess you must have to apply alot of force to spear them depending on how deep they are? And what factors determine when you spear them. And I guess you aim for the head area since you don't want to mess up the meat and I know they have a real hard head. Just wondering what the dynamic is that goes into landing such a fish and they must fight like crazy. I've caught Pike on lures in Canada and they appear to be a snag on a log at first and then the fight is on.

Latest posts

Back