CATCH OF THE DAY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do grill the really big ones....then you can pick out the big bones.

These are really boney fish...Jim can get all the bones out when he fillets them....Mostly we deep fry them with Shore Lunch, Fish Crisp or beer batter...

They have really good flavor....

It's all good!!!!

Was blowing pretty hard today, lots of drifting snow....We can never tell how much snow we get because it blows around so bad.

We got to the lake and plowed through pretty deep snow and drifts, it was -4°F....sunny and bright.

The guys had set the fish house up a couple days ago....The water isn't that clear, but the fish were moving pretty good and visible....a small taste of what we saw....

BASS....
bassSmall.jpg

WALLEYE PIKE.....
betterwalleyeSmall.jpg

13 NORTHERN PIKE...[#13 was taken for a future fish fry]
goodpikeSmall.jpg
pikeweedsSmall.jpg

THIS IS HOW THE SPEAR GOES DOWN [this fish was too small and was free to swim away]
spearSmall.jpg

Saw countless schools of Sunfish, Crappies and Bull Heads.....
Was fun to be out there....stopped at the neighbors big angling/spear house for a few beers...

Was -14°F when we got home...

CATCH OF THE DAY....5# 7oz Northern Pike and a small Crappie donated by the neighbors for the fish effort.
littlebuddySmall.jpg

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Crappie.......Now your talking some really serious, make you slobber all over yourself fish
smiley4.gif

crappie2.jpg

When did you catch those Waldo and whats that blue container to the right of them, it looks like 1 of Appleman's primary buckets!

Wade, that looks like a minnow bucket. I don't think I would want to use that for a primary. "Excuse me sir, what is that bouquet I can't quite place in your wine?"
Why Mr., that is Ode de Minnow.
smiley36.gif

Northern Winos said:
We do grill the really big ones....then you can pick out the big bones.

These are really boney fish...Jim can get all the bones out when he fillets them....Mostly we deep fry them with Shore Lunch, Fish Crisp or beer batter...

They have really good flavor....

It's all good!!!!

NW, one batter I have found to be very good is called Andy's Red they also have a white but the red is best, something to try? I have seen it in your area Fleet Farm anyways.

Always looking for new batters and fish coating....

There is one from Canada that is good, it is a beer batter....find it in the fishing tackle area....

Waldo....Nice catch of Crappies....
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
Always looking for new batters and fish coating....

There is one from Canada that is good, it is a beer batter....find it in the fishing tackle area....

Waldo....Nice catch of Crappies....
smiley4.gif

You do know this is primarily a wine forum, hows about wine batter!
smiley36.gif

wade said:
You do know this is primarily a wine forum, hows about wine batter!
smiley36.gif

I'm working on Garlic Wine Marinade....did an Apple/Jalapeño Wine for sipping and marinade....Should be able to figure out some kind of wine to put in fish batter....a good project for the new year.

Okay, it isn't a batter, but it how about this:

FISH FILLET WITH WINE & TOMATO SAUCE
1 onion, chopped
2 to 3 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. white wine
2 tbsp. safflower oil
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 lb. fillet of red snapper, sole, halibut or other white fish

1. Saute vegetables in small amount of wine until tender.
2. Add oil, tomato sauce, parsley and remaining wine.
3. Simmer 15 minutes.
4. Pour 1/4 of the sauce into a baking dish, arrange fish on top. Cover with remaining sauce. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Might have to move this to the recipe forum at this rate
smiley36.gif

Nice picts Waldo and NW!
I live at the same latitude as NW, in fact I'm a little north of them and we are starting to see ice houses out on the lake too. There are a whole bunch of people here trying to find slabs like those Waldo. As they say.."Nice Fish!"
smiley31.gif

This year's snow is going to make lake access here a challenge. The ice was only 12" to 15" when we gota couple of fairly heavy snows.Thin ice + snow= slush! How is your access NW?

Jack on Rainy... Thin ice + snow= slush! How is your access NW?

We have about 15" of ice....The snow varies in depth and has drifted over the roads people have made....so rough going against the roads.

So far no flooding.

Have a pretty fair ice heave at our usual access by The Lodge...so everyone is going on at the Public Access or by a Marina...Not good for business at The Lodge.

Lots of folks on the ice.

Jack on Rainy...You are living in the land of the BIG fish....Do you go out onto the big river and lakes and get your share????

I've never fished the river just the lake. But my share? Not likely. Mary out fishes me 3:1 so she might get close!
I just went thru a few picts but don't have much to share here. Lots of sailing but not much fishing.
We do enjoy a meal now and then but you know there are funny local cultural things even in fishing northern MN. Nobody here eats fish except for walleye. Mary doesn't let aNorthern in the boateven tho I think I can make it so she could not tell if it was walleye or northern, assuming a fish taken before July 1. We don't eat Smallmouth bass at all even tho we enjoy catching them. Crappie is another thing. We would eat them if we could find them! Tough to do that here.
We live on a lake where people still were drinking the water untreated ten years ago. And, now giardia has us all on the run. (Sorry about that! Too close to a pun and an even lower form of humor...)But, we only eat one kind of fish.
As to big fish, we haven't caught many. The biggest I've boated is a 28" walleye and I haven't kept track of the largest SM Bass, Northern, or Muskie. Caught a 17" crappie a few years ago though, and that is worthy of note. Wish I could stumble on a few more.
It is fun even thinking about it now as we have 18" of snow on about as much or more ice...

dragonmaster42 said:
Waldo, what lake did you pull all those slabs out of? There's a lot of good eatin' there!

Those actually were caught out of the Ouachita river and indeed they were good eating

Latest posts

Back