BITTER COLD/SUN DOGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
The temperatures are dropping and we are in for an Arctic Blast up here on the Northern Plains....This cold spell is expected to last till the middle of next week.

Something happens up here when the temperature are cold and the skies are clear....we get ....what we call SUN DOGS....

Here are the SUN DOGS when we were leaving the lake this PM...the temperature was -10*F and the windchill is -27*F.. [last day of fishing for us for a few days...going to hunker down and make and bottle some wines]

SunDogsSmall.jpg

When we got home they looked like little rainbows on each side of the sun...

RIGHT DOG...

RightDogSmall.jpg

LEFT DOG...

LeftDogSmall.jpg

Think they are something to do with the ice crystals in the air...at least that is what I have believed all my years...

Now we have the February Full Moon...or as it is called...

THE WOLF MOON....[maybe January is the Wolf Moon...?]

FebaruaryWolfMoonSmall.jpg

It's warm inside...actually too warm in here [shouldn't complain]...no fish to clean...but some good wine to enjoy...going to have some spicy food and settle in for the night....Edited by: Northern Winos

Beautiful pictures NW.......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just thinking about those temps
make me wanna ......welllll......go get a glass of wine and turn up the thermostat on the electric blanket

-13.5*F ALREADY, She's dropping fast...hope the clouds roll in, the clouds act like a blanket and will warm us up...

Now the windchills are -25 to -40*F till tomorrow....Our dogs won't stay out too long to do their 'duties'.....Ahhh...the wine is fine and the food was good....will keep the wood fire burning for a few days...So it goes on de-tundra.

Don't know how the Sun-Dogs got their names...sure not from Hot-Dogs....

I know I gripe about being cold all the time but I have to say I really miss Ice Fishing. Of course I had a fishing hut so it wasn't bad at all.I actually do like cold weather if there is absolutely no wind, the humidity is low and there is a powdery snow cover. I just hate damp cold weather and wind chill. I hate slush. I hate freezing rain/sleet/hail. Did I mention I hate wind chill?

Smurfe

smurfe,
We are getting some of that awful stuff here in Houston the past couple of weeks. Funny how it seems so much colder when it isn't supposed to be.

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
smurfe,
We are getting some of that awful stuff here in Houston the past couple of weeks. Funny how it seems so much colder when it isn't supposed to be.

Ramona

Yeah, I know. We get your recycled weather. It has been terrible this winter. My Mother in law lives there and will call us and tell us what is coming our way. We usually get it 2-3 days later

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Well we survived our first "Arkansas Blizzard" fine. We got damn near an inch of snow and everything closed down, the stores were bare of any milk or bread and the children were once again traumitized by the snow melting before their very eyes as they labored to get that snowman built before 10am
smiley36.gif

I guess global warming isn't helping "Northern" out in the Northern Plains. Great pix by the way. Reminds me of winters as a kid in New England.

Smurfe's not fairing much better in LA and Waldo's got snow in Arkansas. The Southeast got hammered with snow and ice and it's freezing in Maine. I'm so confused!
smiley15.gif

Ramona's a good WVA girl and I'm surprised she's cold in Texas. Ramona, remember what cold was really like in Kyser?? Okay I woke up a little cranky this morning.

I'm better now, my grand daughter just called from Columbus to sing happy b'day to grandpa.
smiley4.gif
All is right with the world................again.

Funny, it's warmer in here already.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY</font> Pepre...

Hope you have a nice warm day and your evening filled with 'spirits'

Another cold night last night...was -27.2*F this morning when I took this photo [through the window]

Picture036Small.jpg

Will be as cold for the next 2 nights....I went out to the shed to get some wine bottles to wash up today...didn't think it was bad till the last trip...

The dogs are walking on 3 feet, so they will hunker down indoors today too....they spend a lot of time inside in the winter...

Sunny and bright out there...looks nice from inside....Very warm in here...lots of firewood in the wood room, plenty of food, no money, but lots of wine...Life is GOOD!!!!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Pepere,
I guess as they say here my blood has thinned out. 40 degrees feels cold here inTexas. But yes I do remeber W.Va. winters especially when our coal furnace would go out at night and have to get ready for school in a 35 degree house. On those days we were happy to get to school. The school had a coal furnace too but we had a good janitor who was firing it up at 3 am for us.

Hope you have a great day today!!
Ramona
candle.gif

Thank you all. You're all way too kind.
smiley9.gif

Yes, Ramona. The old coal furnace was a pain. If you didn't bank the coal just right before you went to bed the mornings were brutal. Better to have thin blood than thin wine.

NW, your pix are just great. I can feel the cold. The full moon, cold night, a frozen pond, ice skates, hockey sticks, girls and a bonfire. What's better than that??? At 18 years old nothing. At 58 I'm with you in the family room with the wood stove and the bottle of wine!
smiley36.gif

Thanks guys...I love taking photos of the sun and moon....makes me feel alive to capture some nature shots.

-27.4*F this morning....got up during the night to let the dogs out...they were hot, panting, wanted water and 'out' ...I was cold after standing in the doorway with the door open waiting for them....so put a couple logs on the fire...Where is Waldo when you need him??????..he's up anyway...

Put the bread machine on auto last night...Cinnamon/Rasin Bread in about 5 minutes....smells awesome, makes the morning worth getting up for.

Warming trend tonight...only -25*F if we are lucky...nice indoors....a balmy -12 for a high today...Good day to do wine chores and watch the tube...Edited by: Northern Winos

Back