CATCH OF THE DAY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice fish
smiley32.gif

Try this NW...When you get ready to fry that sucker up coat a couple of pieces in mustard first then meal it and fry and see what you think.

Ramona...The spear is pretty heavy and you pretty much just drop it...Seems if you pump the spear to thrust it the aim is off.

The determining factors of taking the fish is it's size...how hungry you are and if you can get a good aim without moving around too much and scaring it....you can talk all you want, but sometimes feet moving will scare them.

Your right you do try to hit it right behind the head, as to not harm the meat...the spear can bounce off the head....This one really put up a fight, sometimes they are just stunned and come up like a log.

This one was a real fighter....we thought she's get off, so, actually we did put another spear in her just to be sure....
smiley9.gif

Some day turn on the video recorder in the camera and get us a film of Jim battling one, but I am actually quite amused imagining the battle going on in that little shanty.

Giant of a man battling a #15 pound fish, trying to keep from falling in a huge hole in the ice while being rooted on by his tiny little lady. After an hour of a frantic battle she wields a second spear, misses the first time, hitting Jim in the foot.
smiley35.gif
He's cussing and a swearin'
smiley35.gif
and She perseveers though and WHAM BAM Thank You Sam, she hits the fish again and together they haul that sucker - er Pike in and collapse on what little floor there is. There's food for the crew tonight at the Wino House.
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

Some of them do put up a good fight considering what they are dealing with....

This one had plenty of spunk...

When he tried to bring her up she would swirl around taking the spear and rope with her...Into the weeds, wrapping them around the spear, as well as herself.....When half the weeds from the bottom of the lake floated to the surface...we decided to get the other spear....

I ran out to the pickup, grabbed the other spear, the protective wood block was frozen onto it...Got it ready...Tied the rope to my wrist....He brought the fish into view and the spear went down...Usually try to get it into the tail, but with so much sand and weeds getting stirred up we couldn't see...The spears were totally crossed....but well secured...She came up and fought inside the house too. I usually have a Spearing License so usually have the extra spear inside the house....

We put her outside to cool off....I went outside with our fish knocker to put her out of her misery....Put her in our fish box and brought her home.....

Northern Pike are notoriously slimy....we find if we wrap them in
newspapers as soon a you catch them the loose the slime. I had wrapped
her out on the lake and when Jim unwrapped her....she came back to life......Jim put it on the freezer top where he cleans the fish....He said this fish is still alive...I went over for a closer look...She did a two ended jump [Like a Billy Bass]...... I screeched......she flopped onto the floor landing on another piece of newspaper....rolled around wrapping herself tightly in it...I got my trusty hammer and ended the battle.....I am one mean old lady. A nasty job, but someone has to do it.

It was actually really funny at the time...Poor fish.

Waldo said:
Try this NW...When you get ready to fry that sucker up coat a couple of pieces in mustard first then meal it and fry and see what you think.

Waldo...I tried this tonight....Mixed Sweet Brown Mustard and Yellow Prepared Mustard, coated it with that and then in the flour mixture and fried it right...

It was very crispy and nice...
Thanks for the suggestion...

Have you tried baked northern with stuffing ? My uncle made a stuffing with carrots , onions and bread ( not sure what he put in it ) rolled the fillet's and stuffing in foil and baked, it was great.

farmer said:
Have you tried baked northern with stuffing ? My uncle made a stuffing with carrots , onions and bread ( not sure what he put in it ) rolled the fillet's and stuffing in foil and baked, it was great.

Try this:

1 pkg wild rice and mushroom stuffing mix
1/4 C butter
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 C half and half (milk may be substituted)
1 1/2 lbs fish fillets, skin removed and cut in half crosswise (1/4" thick, cut thick fillets horozontally if needed)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
2 Tbsp finely chopped almonds
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 350°. Prepare stuffing as directed on package. Set aside. Melt butter over med-low heat. Cook just until butter begins to brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in flouer, salt and pepper. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Add half and half and return to heat. Bring mixture to a boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and set aside.

Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray. Spread stuffing evenly over one side of each fillet. Roll up each fillet and secure with toothpicks. Arrange in the baking dish and sprinkle each fillet evenly with lemon juice and orange peel. Spoon white sauce evenly over fish. Sprinkle evenly with almonds, parmesan and parsley. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes ore until fish is firm and opaque and just begins to flake.

Enjoy!

That story is even funnier than the original one I imagined! Thanks for the laugh this AM. Now go catch another one before it gets cold again!

Seeing all of NW's posts on spearing gave me the itch, so I just had to go out tonight to my secret Crappie hole deep in the White Earth State forest:

DSCF0895640x480.jpg

DSCF0892640x480.jpg

DSCF0893640x480.jpg

DSCF0896640x480.jpg

DSCF0898640x480.jpg

DSCF0899640x480.jpg

DSCF0902640x480.jpg

GOTCHA!!
smiley1.gif

DSCF0905640x480.jpg

The fishing was actually a tad bit slow and the fish were on the small side. I only ended up putting 4 crappies in the bucket although I graphed an awful lot of fish. Threw back another 3 fish as well, including the one above. They just were not interested in what I had to offer tonight. Was out here 2 weeks ago and caught our limit with 3 people. My brother in law pulled in a 16 inch Crappie that day. I almost cried when he cut it up.

By the way, I do a variation of the mustard thing too. Dredge the fillets in flour, dip in egg and roll in crushed mustard pretzels....

NW

AS THIS ISPRIMARILY A WINE FORUM TRY THIS ONE ON A PIECE OF THAT PUPPY!

DONNA'S WHITE WINE SAUCE

SAUTE-2 TBSP BUTTER

-2 CLOVES OF GARLIC FINELY CHOPPED

-2 SHALLOTS FINELY CHOPPED

-ADD 2 TBSP LEMON JUICE AND 1 BOTTLEOF

CHARDONAY(OR W/WINE OF CHOICE) 1/3 AT A TIME

-REDUCE DOWN UNTILL IT STARTS TO THICKEN

PUT A LARGE PIECE OF TINFOIL ON A COOKIE SHEET & SPRINKLE ON SOME SEASONED SALT, LAY THE FILLIT ON THIS & PULL THE TINFOIL IN AROUND THE FISH. COVER WITH THE SAUCE, CLOSE TINFOIL UP AND BAKE AT350* UNTILL DONEENJOY

KEITH

wade said:
Is that fish finder for ice fishing?
smiley36.gif

Yesit is. I almost consider it cheating, but not quite. Here's a closer pic:

DSCF0901640x480.jpg

There is a solid bar straight down right at the "10" and going left. You can't see the color very well in the picture, but you can see the reflection of it off the sides. The 10 indicates my depth. Thebottom knob on the right is set to X2 so you double it. In this picture I'm sitting at 20 feet. Starting there and going left it's solid red for about an inch, then turns yellow and eventually green. This whole mass of color indicates the bottom structure. This particular spot is solid, but not really solid (like rock). Most likely I'm sitting over sand or gravel. If it were mucky or muddy down there the red band would only be about 1/4" To the right of the "10" there is a thin green band. That's my jig and minnow. If I were to lift it up and drop it down you would see it move counterclockwise when I lifted and clockwise when I dropped. When a fish comes within 6 feet of my lure I'll usually see an yellow or orange band slightlywider than the green band. If a crappie sees your presentation and comes up to it you watch until you see the band turn red. At this moment you know the fish has flared his gills out and is inhaling your jig. I don't even wait for the bobber to go down. If I see red I count "One One Thousand" and set the hook. Works like a charm
smiley1.gif

Sorry for the long explanation but it's such a cool piece of equipment I wanted to explain how it worked.

It is specifically for ice fishing.

Latest posts

Back