CATCH OF THE DAY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim went out to the lake with the neighbor today...It was blowing and
drifting...-6°F for a high temp with a -30°F windchill...a good day for
me to stay home and my mighty man to 'bring home the bacon'...

What we lack in quality...we make up in quantity...

2- fish slightly under 6# each......

20090124_203730_fishes_Small.jpg

They got to the spear house okay, but with all the blowing got stuck many times getting off the lake....

Life is good in the house feeding the wood stove and mixing up a batch of wine...I love my job!!!

kdcurl, that sauce sounds pretty darn good. wonder if it would taste good on a salmon steak??
smiley4.gif

Waldo...no, we don't clean them in the washing machine, he cleans them on top of the freezer.

Appleman....I sold most of my washboards when we moved...I had the wall of the laundry room covered with them...I only kept the ones people gave me....You never know when hard times will set in and you'll have to use them.

uavwmn...anything is good on salmon...I'm sure that wine sauce would be great....So many recipes....So few meals.

The phone company came this morning and hooked up our fiber-optics cable....This Internet thing might be a little quicker now.

So, being as the house was totally torn apart I stayed home and did my
wifely-duties...Put things back into place, dust parts unknown, scrub
the floors where the dudes walked...and mixed up a batch of wine.

Meanwhile...Back at the Lake....

Jim had to go out and jack the house up incase there would be flooding
and clear the ice from the hole.....Not wanting to come home too early
and get involved in the house affairs he sat for an hour....Was about
to leave and saw this fish and once again...

Brought home the bacon....

20090129_161607_ten_three_Small.jpg

It was a long thing...Big head and only weighed 10.3#....thought it would be more because the head was so big....

Fish fry soon....
smiley4.gif

Wow, if that had been a mid summer fish, it would have been huge. I would be afraid to swim with the fishes with that thing in there!

Looks more like a Barracuda! What kind of damage could that fish do, could it take your finger off!

Sometimes these bigger fish have a fair sized fish inside of them....This one was lean and empty.

She did have a nice sack of eggs....this time of the year most of our fish are getting fattened up and getting ready to spawn....

When I was a kid we were at a lake in Northern Canada and a kid did get his leg bitten by a Northern Pike...Pretty rare.

They are the Tigers of the Sea...Small Sea...but they are pretty aggressive....

The other day a small Perch came through the hole and suddenly it came back full speed and had a small Northern Pike after it...Quite a show.

They are our local Sharks.

Many people don't care for them, but we like them.
The Locals are more prone to want to eat an elusive Walleye Pike or Crappy...The more elite fish.

We are but poor country folk.

wade said:
Looks more like a Barracuda! What kind of damage could that fish do, could it take your finger off!

You don't put your fingers near them while they are still alive.

Jim is really hauling them in. I would have hated to miss that action. Would be great if you could video the adventures....starting from getting out to the shanty to sitting down with a glass of wine and the fish on the dish!!!!

Great catch Jim!!!!!!

wade said:

Wade....THIS is a Barracuda...

20090129_191036_baracuda_Small.JPG

And...THESE are Grouper...

20090129_191316_grouper_Small.JPG

These are photos of your friends who have a house in Mexico where we are going in March....

Life is Good!!!!

Back