Carboy cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxyclean free works like magic. Even the nastiest carboy gunk comes off. I add scoopful and fill carboy with water. Leave for 24 hours to soak, then rinse. Sucks that I have to drive south of the border to buy it...

ou8amaus said:
Oxyclean free works like magic. Even the nastiest carboy gunk comes off. I add scoopful and fill carboy with water. Leave for 24 hours to soak, then rinse. Sucks that I have to drive south of the border to buy it...

Where are you located? I definitely will start using this and will check the labels for knock offs if I can get it up here in Canada!

Good post Julie as you know I've been preaching oxyclean for years. I buy the big box from Sams club or Home Depot.

I know you have, that is how I started using oxyclean, listening to you yak about using oxyclean, :)

After I racked my wine and looked at the carboy I thought I need to take a before and after pic. There are so many on here that use elbow grease to clean their carboys and still don't get them completely clean with the oxyclean just fill and go do something else!

A scoop of oxyclean... Does oxyclean come with a scoop? What is the suggested ratio of oxyclean to water for the purposes of cleaning a carboy?

Thanks...

A scoop of oxyclean... Does oxyclean come with a scoop? What is the suggested ratio of oxyclean to water for the purposes of cleaning a carboy?

Thanks...

Yes it comes with a scoop and I add one scoop and fill the carboy to the neck

Another one who swears by oxyclean. Buy the big box at Costco and as Julie said, 1 scoop, fill with warm water to the neck and let sit an hour then rinse. Great stuff.

ffemt128 said:
Another one who swears by oxyclean. Buy the big box at Costco and as Julie said, 1 scoop, fill with warm water to the neck and let sit an hour then rinse. Great stuff.

Wonderful! It's on my list next time I'm at Costco! Does this replace having to use k-meta if we are using the carboy right after cleaning? Or still give it a swish with k-meta?

I bought oxyclean at Costco but they did not have the free perfum version. Is it ok? I rinse carboys pretty well with hot water.

I use " SUN" brand oxygen cleaner, it has the same chemical make up as Oxyclean, and no perfumes. 6 lbs costs $5 and change. Walmart has it in the laundry section.

I bought oxyclean at Costco but they did not have the free perfum version. Is it ok? I rinse carboys pretty well with hot water.

Should be fine. I have been using the normal oxyclean (not perfume free) since January with no side effects. Many batches of beer and wine have been through my buckets, carboys, tubing, etc. I do rinse well.

Last edited:
Looks good. That stuff is good. I would advise against Dollar General brand. It will not dissolve well and I don't thin it is as good.

I might have to make the switch to Oxyclean at $5 for a few lbs as opposed to One step $6 for 1 lbs.
And just stock up on K-meta for steralizing!

:n

Where are you located? I definitely will start using this and will check the labels for knock offs if I can get it up here in Canada!

I live in Montreal... looked everywhere and could only find the "free" version in plattsburg...

I would guess that there is a shelf life to an oxyclean solution; any idea of how long that might be?

Edit: Never mind... "Once mixed, solution should NOT be left in a sealed container. It will continue to give off oxygen and the container may rupture and cause injury. Dispose of all unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet."

Last edited:
I'm going to one-up Juile on this one! The REAL Oxyclean test!

On Wednesday, I picked up a bunch of "wine making supplies" from a fellow and his wife in Dayton. Some of you may have seen his post of stuff for sale. As it turns out, this equipment could have been sold as antiques. Now, I'm not complaining at all, mind you. It was a great buy!

But the carboys were filthy, and stained horribly. Several of them looked like someone had drewed coffee in them. From the cases of old used bottles that came with this stuff, it appears these carboys have not been used since the late 80's. We had just been discussing the awesomeness of Oxyclean, so it was time to put it to the real test.

Here's the carboys that needed a good cleaning. I tossed the brown airlocks and pried out the crusty bungs---pitched those, too. Yuck!
100_1123.jpg

I dumped a scoop of Oxyclean in each and filled them to the neck with warm water, letting them sit overnight...

....A good rinse, and a little scrubbing of the exterior, and the next day, they looked like this, ready for wine!
100_1124.jpg

Is that one on the left still brown? Or is that an optical illusion from the camera?

"I add one scoop and fill the carboy to the neck"

How aggressively do you rinse?

Splendid thread by the way, thanks Julie.

That's the brown carpet making it look like that. I examined them very closely. They are both perfectly clean.

Latest posts

Back