Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. Almost all of our transfer sites have a cement covered area for people to put things as well as all the 20 or 30 dupsters themselves.

WE LOVE our dumpster diving here. The rich and the poor.

LOL look what I got started. Makes me want to go dumpster diving now.

I have heard of people doing it in construction sites for suburbs and building additions to their houses and things.

I have seen and help some of those people do it. I am a proud American, but this has got to be one of the most wasteful countries in the history of mankind! And the people who waste!!

A damn shame too!!!

A few months ago a friend of mine dug out some nice double pane windows out of the dump. He sold them a few days late for almost a thousand dollars!! And at the same time one of the elderly who cant even afford to buy their medicine would have loved those windows to helpkeep the cold off of their old bones.

You dont have to hug a tree or a bunny, but please dont be wasteful.

Last edited:
Sunday my daughter took my wife and I too Carraba's for dinner...
You know Father's day.
While we were there we asked one of the managers if he would save the wine bottles for me.
He said yes....
My SIL said he would even take a garbage can there for them to put them in...
Now I just have to make certain he does that!
You know how kids forget things...

Last Thursday I called up a local Apple place that is also a winery and asked about empty bottles. It turns out they already save the empties for whoever calls. So I asked them to put my name on some and ran down Friday. 2 1/2 cases were sitting there with my name on them. Very nice. :h

I will definately have to call the local winery that just opened. I bet they are going through bottles like crazy because it was a big deal in our town. They got a vote passed to let them open the winery in a dry county so it is the only one even remotely near here.

DO it right now DE, dont hesitate, you know what they say about the early bird!!

I took your advice and e-mail both the wineries close to me and one of the wineries take his to the recycleing center and the other just gives them away so I put in a request at both wineries for some bottles
Jack

WIsh I had a winery around here. I bet I have 100 or so empty bottle from friends saved up for me and I know it isn't enough. I will have another 18 gallons going soon so that is around 180 I am going to need for bottling soon.

We talked with my daughter last night and she said they went to the Carraba's we had talked with and sure enough, in the garbage can my SIL took there was somewhere around 20 bottles.
That would be probably from just a day, maybe two.
I hope that is the good sign I scored big on Father's day!

WIsh I had a winery around here. I bet I have 100 or so empty bottle from friends saved up for me and I know it isn't enough. I will have another 18 gallons going soon so that is around 180 I am going to need for bottling soon.

Several years ago I asked the manager at a local resturant (where I ate regularly) if I could get empties. He said sure, if I would agree to haul away all they saved. Within the next few months I had hundreds of bottles -- and that was after I culled anything other than standard 750-ml bourdeaux, chardonnay and reisling styles. I finally thanked the manager with a case of assorted wines and told him I had all I needed. Still have cases of bottles stacked up in the storeroom, just gave 6 cases to a winemaking partner for upcoming bottling of 2009 muscadine.

Wow, here I've been trying to get enough bottles ready for when I do my first bottling by just drinking a lot! :db
However I just read this, so checked cragislist in my area and somebody is giving away 10 cases of used bottles for free that maybe I am in time to snag, and another person gathers and sells them and removes labels and washes them for you so I'd just have to rewash and sanitize.
I'd love the idea of asking restaurants and wineries but I am an introvert so I think I'll hope for this to work out first!

Wow, here I've been trying to get enough bottles ready for when I do my first bottling by just drinking a lot! :db
However I just read this, so checked cragislist in my area and somebody is giving away 10 cases of used bottles for free that maybe I am in time to snag, and another person gathers and sells them and removes labels and washes them for you so I'd just have to rewash and sanitize.
I'd love the idea of asking restaurants and wineries but I am an introvert so I think I'll hope for this to work out first!

Here is what you NEED to do...

Drink a bottle of wine...

You will NOT be a introvert after doing that..

Problem solved !

i have a lady at my work that "moonlights" for her sister's catering service and she always has plenty of wine bottles for me any given weekend. :h

I just ask the guy at my local dump(transfer station) to save me as many cork type wine bottles as he can for a week and on Sat. afternoon I stop by and usually pick up about 120 bottles and in return give him 3 or 4 bootles of my wine in exchange and he is thrilled to death as am I.

Latest posts

Back