Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto I use 3 to 3 1/2 per gallon and have gotten great reviews on my blueberry. As luck would have it I am drinking a glass now, early but darn good.

The only thing is that I typically add more afterwards for an f-pack. Usually about 1/3 what I used in making it up.

Wow, 15# is not really enough for 6 gallons thats only 2 1/2 # per gallon. I would have doubled it 5-6# per gallon is what too shoot for. Not to worry, just make a strong f-pac.[/QUOTE

I think it would depend on where the blueberries came from. I used a 5 quart ice cream pail picked wild north of Cook, MN. Tasted real nice. I have 5 gallons going nowfrom 20 pounds of frozen blueberries from Sams Club and it tastes weak.

Seems those small wild berries have more flavor.

Seems those small wild berries have more flavor.

definitely possible.

Madriver> let it age man! blueberry seems to really get better with age. there are alot of fruit wines that don't need much time, but blueberry is not one of them. it will get better!!!:r

I know...I know. The three P's....You would think raising 2 teenagers would of given me more! :?This is why I started a second gallon. It was too good from the start. What a problem to have!:)
:b Steve

The only thing is that I typically add more afterwards for an f-pack. Usually about 1/3 what I used in making it up.
Wade I dont know if I am a fan of f-pacs or not. It adds flavor but also changes the flavor. Maybe I am doing something wrong?? When I tried a strawberry with vs with out an f-pac, both sweetened first, I was leaning heavily towards the one with out? It tasted more like wine while the other was more like a juice. But what will the difference be in 6 months? I dont know, yet.

Wade I dont know if I am a fan of f-pacs or not. It adds flavor but also changes the flavor.

But what will the difference be in 6 months? I dont know, yet.

i'm in the same boat. i've yet to do an f-pac, but i can see what doing fortified wines does to flavor. we have added a few things before bottling for fun (chocolate, vanilla, etc) and they take away the wine feel.

with added syrup/juice concentrate, i don't know how it would change it as we always just blend or start with more # per gallon to add flavor. maybe you need to let it age :h *voice in the background* "remember the three P's" */voice*

Guys all I can say is try it. (f-pac) just back sweeten to your taste. It just enhances the flavor not change it.

I just got done crushing 13 lbs. of blueberries for a 2 gallon batch.
JK's port recipe

6 lb. blueberries
1/2 pt. red grape concentrate
1/2 c. light dry malt
1-3/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
1/2 tsp. wine stabilizer
4 pt. water
crushed Campden tablet
wine yeast

I have Lalvin V1116, D-47, 71B-1112, EC-1118, Premier curvee, Pasteur Champane, Cotes des Blancs, and Montcrachet in stock. Yeast recommendation?

What does the malt add to the mix?

Thanks...bob

F/pacs

the key to any wine is balance,,using a fpac for added depth and structure is good to know when to use it,how much to use and why,do you need it,,next its all a question of taste the most important ingredient in the mix theres no law that states you have to let your wine go totally dry,,rs is a by product of controlled fermentation,time it takes time to learn when to apply....be patient ....think outside the box ,,at least thats how i see it,,:D

do you think wineries use f-packs? just a thought.

also, we don't have problems with enough flavor, IMO. in fact most would consider our wines "full-bodied."

F/pacs

I THINK SOME WINERIES DO WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO TO OVER COME THERE OWN SET OF PROBLEMS WHEN THE NEED ARISES.they USE BALANCE AND CHEMISTRY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE,BUT THE FIRST ITEM ON THEIR SHOPPING LIST IS RAW PRODUCT AND THE QUALITY OF IT..THE REST BECOMES HISTORY............FINAGLE THE BAGEL...ANOTHER IMPORTANT ITEM IS YEAST BUT THATS ANOTHER SUBJECT...:)

Joeswine;
I like stories. Want to tell me a yeast one?

back to basics

ONCE UPON A TIME IN A WINERY FAR :s:sFAR AWAY...................................:sl

ONCE UPON A TIME IN A WINERY FAR :s:sFAR AWAY...................................:sl

A young winemaker named Joe sat down with his protege Tom ..

Tell me a story pwease.. said Tom..

Joe took another swig of moonshine and considered the request carefully.. for he didn't want to scare Tom too badly, with his stories of the 'great rampant yeasties of the winelands' and their ancient battle with the winemaking wizards..

I have just the one for you me lad, he sighed and breathing fumes heavy enough to curl young Toms hair..

he began his tale...

;)

A young winemaker named Joe sat down with his protege Tom ..

Tell me a story pwease.. said Tom..

Joe took another swig of moonshine and considered the request carefully.. for he didn't want to scare Tom too badly, with his stories of the 'great rampant yeasties of the winelands' and their ancient battle with the winemaking wizards..

I have just the one for you me lad, he sighed and breathing fumes heavy enough to curl young Toms hair..

he began his tale...

;)

Do tell more you have such a way with words....

One day while walking thru the yeast fields looking for a good ripe one to pick for my wine I came across...............

Do tell...
What does a yeast field look like??

One day while walking thru the yeast fields looking for a good ripe one to pick for my wine I came across...............

A giant, wild and woolly yeastie, skipping happily and picking flowers..

(I stopped skipping and picking flowers immediately..)

'Good morning' said I to the fluffy yeastie, as he turned and saw the unsuccessful attempt to hide my yeastie net.

Then we were off across the yeast field at a spanking pace.. my little legs chasing him as fast as I could run. The net outstretched before me..almost...closer.. and then.................

( OK I'm stopping now)

Allie

Last edited:
Back