Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I now have 35lbs of blackberries sitting in my freezer.
I am going to use the recipe that was posted here. One pound short.
I have seen a couple of different comments on using one or two primary buckets. The recipe only mentions the 7.9 gallon primary. What are peoples experiences with this? 35lbs of berries looks like a lot. Maybe after they thaw they will all fit my primary?
If I need to go with two primaries I will basically just be making 2 - 3 gallon batches and putting them together when they go to secondary. Correct thinking?

If I need to go with two primaries I will basically just be making 2 - 3 gallon batches and putting them together when they go to secondary. Correct thinking?

I dunno on the rest I don't do batches that big. But you're right on this! Helps keep you from getting overflow in the primary.

That's what I'm doing for my next batch. On my first 6.5 gallon batch, I made the mistake of having my primary too small. It's worked out in the end, but for my next batch I'll get two 5 gallon buckets and primary ferment separately, then combine in my 6.5 gallon for secondary.

Oh, and closetwine, I don't think your signature's analogy works for me. My wife looks pretty damn good in pj's and a pony tail too. :p

I now have 35lbs of blackberries sitting in my freezer.
I am going to use the recipe that was posted here. One pound short.
I have seen a couple of different comments on using one or two primary buckets. The recipe only mentions the 7.9 gallon primary. What are peoples experiences with this? 35lbs of berries looks like a lot. Maybe after they thaw they will all fit my primary?

I don't see where you tell us how big your primary is could you let us know this information. Yes you could devide it into two batches if you have to. I use a ten gallon tub that I brought at Menards for five dollars as my primary

Oh, and closetwine, I don't think your signature's analogy works for me. My wife looks pretty damn good in pj's and a pony tail too. :p

LOL! I live in pj's... But when we go out, I try to dress up...

Pj's can be cute... but Heels and a nice fitting dress would probably looks better... ;)

You cant fit all those berries in a regular fermenting bucket OR a 7.9 gal one.

Split it up as if you were making 2 3gallon batches for the primary. Then combine it in the secondary.

Put the berries in a straining bucket

I don't see where you tell us how big your primary is could you let us know this information. Yes you could devide it into two batches if you have to. I use a ten gallon tub that I brought at Menards for five dollars as my primary

My primary is 7.9 gallons.

I still have the buckets that my syrah and cab sav juice came in. I will divide things up and get two 3 gallon batches going.

I still have the buckets that my syrah and cab sav juice came in. I will divide things up and get two 3 gallon batches going.

Remember to save some for a f-pac.

Gravity no higher than 1.085

Another vote for splitting the primary into two smaller ones. I had that exact problem with my blackberry as well.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem doing a 6 gallon batch in an 7.9 gallon primary. Your not short berries, 35 pounds is fine for 6 gallons, but more would be good heheheheheh 35 pounds of blackberries fills a 5 gallon bucket . If they are frozen they will shrink down fast as they thaw

True but,
35#'s of berries and 6 gal of water + fermenting will not fit in a 7.9 bucket

NO I would add 5 gallons of water and then add 35#'s

That many berries will displace 2+ #'s

"Put the berries in a straining bucket"

Tom, how does this work? don't you just throw them in the primary and start that way? bk

get 5 gal paint straining bags at the BOX stores. Much easier to punchdown and remove.

The last batch I did with blackberries had 34# and I put all together in a 10 gal primary. I would probably split into two primaries if you don't have a ten gal. I used 4 gals. of water with mine and ended with almost 8 gals of juice transferred to secondary when done fermenting. I'm finding that when I use this amount of berries or over 30 pounds in does not fit in my 7.9 primary so opted to get a 10 gal. and usually end with over 6 gals which I like because I have plenty of like wine to top off down the road when racking. This is my second batch of blackberry and from sample tasting I find this is much tastier than the first batch I did when I started, used the recipe from the winemakers recipe handbook which called for 4# per gallon. The first batch is very good but IMO seems a little thin so the larger ppg should improve it. Good luck, you will like the results.

Latest posts

Back