Black currant port.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to mention this will be out of this world delish and something you cant buy commercially!!!!!!! Just sounds Yummy.

Yup yup, so the question is...How long should I age this for? How long will it need? And im seriously considering giving this port some wood..But im not sure which kind or how much.

I just purchased 3oz of Medium Plus toasted Hungarian oak

Here is the description
Medium Plus and Heavy toast imparted mouthfeel fullness, with only a slight amount of campfire/roasted coffee. Heavy also had pronounced vanillin. At all toast levels, there were unique attributes such as leather and black pepper, not observed in other oak origins.

• The lower the toast, the more tannins (“structure”) and lactones (“wood-like” and “coconut”) will be present in each of the oaks.
  • The higher the toast, the more spice and smoke notes will be present.
  • The deeper the toast, the more deep the caramel tones will be (moving into butterscotch at medium plus).
  • Vanilla will increase up through a medium-plus toast and then decrease with a heavy toast and char.
  • American oak will be more aromatic, but French oak will give more structure (Hungarian will give less than the French but more than the American).
  • The greater the toast level, the lower the lactones (“wood” and “coconut”) for all three woods.

I chose the Hungarian because I did not want too many coffee like flavors and I kinda liked how it talked about leather, and black pepper as well as vanillin flavors. (esp the vanillin).

Im thinking about adding about 2.6 oz of this into my port. http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18781/103404/Oak_Cubes_-_Hungarian_Med_%2B_1_oz

Im hoping that this will add some nice body to the port, give it something besides just sweet and alcohol to the flavour profile.. Plus most ports are aged in oak of some sort.

Yup yup, so the question is...How long should I age this for? How long will it need? And im seriously considering giving this port some wood..But im not sure which kind or how much.

I'm in the process of making a few ports myself.. Golden raspberry, Red raspberry, and a blackberry-cherry, but only 2 gallons each.. And i just keep telling myself 5 years, although ill probably crack open the first "tester" at about 2 - 2.5 years.

Hopefully by the 5 year mark, ill still have a bottle to open :)

I figure the more time that the alcohol has to meld with the wine, the better it should be.

I think 2.6 of thise cubes might be about right, Id probably add it all myself as I like a lot of oak. This was like a 6 gallon batch right?

I think 2.6 of thise cubes might be about right, Id probably add it all myself as I like a lot of oak. This was like a 6 gallon batch right?
It is actually a 7 gallon batch. By 2.6 you meant oz? How long ya reckon I should leave these things in for? The link said something about 2-6 months.

I'm in the process of making a few ports myself.. Golden raspberry, Red raspberry, and a blackberry-cherry, but only 2 gallons each.. And i just keep telling myself 5 years, although ill probably crack open the first "tester" at about 2 - 2.5 years.

Hopefully by the 5 year mark, ill still have a bottle to open :)

I figure the more time that the alcohol has to meld with the wine, the better it should be.

That is a loong loong time my friend. Good luck with that.

Yes, ounces and Id check it after about 3 weeks as I dont know how much oak you like. Typical recomm., for 6 gallons with cubes is 2 ounces for 2 months but thats a wine and not a port, ports usually are more oakier to balance out the heavier sweeter wine and abv.

Yeah, so I guess ill check it maybe a month after I add the oak. And let it oak till its just barely over what I like? Because the oak will mellow over time correct? Also, you think panty hose will be good to steep the oak in?

5/10/12
The port taste very young and needs alot more time to be anything near where it needs to be. It is pretty sweet tasting, but im hoping once it ages some it will come into balance. Nothing to be alarmed over. Also last night I added aprox 3 oz of Hungarian medium+ oak cubes into the wine via a stuffed panty hose.

5/16/12

apparently when I added the oak it displaced some volume and now it is starting to push port into the airlock. So I was forced to take a sample!

It taste pretty much like it did before, kinda sweet and smokey with a strong alcohol taste on the way down. However, I did manage to snap a picture.
port.jpg

it generally is much darker. I just had it in direct light to show off what I thought was a cool appearance of it.

port wines

:dbI've found that home made ports ,peak early and if they don't have a quality body,they tend to fad after 2 to 3 years,the longer they set the weaker in flavor they become.

:b Portuguese ports are very robust and so are the Tanny ports ,which are left to oxidize on purpose,hard to match the qualities of a good 25 year old port ,and thats just the beginning of the vintages.

just my oppion......:ft

Well, define peak early? Im hoping that with the oak I currently have in it, along with the almost excessive amount of black currant I used that it will have some long time aging potential.

Im going home today so Im going to get to taste how the oaking is progressing. This will be my first real taste since the oak was added so this might be interesting.

Ok, I tasted it about an hour ago. It has a distinct peppery smokey tobacco kind of flavor to it. Im going to leave the oak in for a couple more months I think. I currently have a final product that is going to drink like a whiskey. something oakey and tanic that needs to be slowly sipped on. The alcohol taste is of course still quite strong, but that is to be expected. However, it is not completely out of balance either. I would not be surprised if this one did well with a few years of aging to bring everything together in a harmonious manner.

Latest posts

Back