Black currant port.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, forgot to post my notes on it. But yes, I took a sip a few days ago. As of right now the oak flavour from the cubes is still developing in a very pleasant manner. It has a nice mouth feel coming on with a wonderful oaky tobacoo flavour and smell from the oak that goes quite well with the alcohol content. I intend on leaving the oak in for another couple of months and ill see where that puts me.

The port still taste hot and and will need plenty of time for all the flavours to come together as one instead of a whole scatter shot of different taste.. but I think of all the wine I have made thus far that this one has the greatest potential.

Alright, the long awaited update.

The colour is from a distance nearly inky black. However, on closer inspection it is a dark burgandy around the meniscous. It has a smell similer to a red such as a cabernet.

On the taste it has a woody background with perhaps something similar to vanilla. I pick up a slightly fruity currant flavour.

The finish is woody with a heat to it. However, the sweetness is finnaly blending in and the alcohol is more integrated into than it was before.. With more time I think it might come fully into ballance.

Hey Seth, I'm contemplating making a blackberry port. I'm unfamiliar with black currant. Is there anything you'd do differently in making this port? Thanks.

As of right now I would do nothing different. I would possibly consider using a stronger flavoured oak based on personal taste, but I think I might be an oak ****. All in all, I feel like I am happy with the results I have so far. Of course, only time will tell.

Ok, I checked on Midwest and getting 3 cases of 375 mil bottles would end up costing me around 90$. Do yall have any cheaper ideas? Beer bottles perhaps?

Not for long term storage, no... Unless you can find cheaper, used bottles

Beer Bottles & EZ-top bottles are mostly for short term storage

I plan on biting the bullet for the bottles & just not giving very many away

Are you talking about the Bellissima bottles? Unless you know a winery around you that uses them in their tasting room then they are expensive! I dont do internet shopping for glass, way to much shipping cost on glass and usually end up with broken glass and then have to deal with sending back. For the most part everyone has no problem getting replacement but I just cant stand the hassle and the shipping cost.

I'm fortunate in that I can get 24 for about $18 at my LHBS. They were out of stock for weeks though and I just about bought online myself. Fortunately, they got 10 cases last week. I haven't seen too many hot deals on line. Especially when shipping is added. Have you checked All the sponsors here?

These guys are pretty good. I ordered 3 cases of 750's from them when I first got started (before finding my local source) and the shipping wasn't too bad.

http://www.shorecontainer.com/375ml.aspx

@ Deezil, Thanks for the advice. I think I will bite the bullet and get the 375 ml bottles in green.
@Wade, Yeah I think that is what they are called. I am going to try my luck with getting them shipped in because the local HBSS is kinda over priced around here.
@Boatboy I Just checked the sponsors unfortunately none of them have as good of a deal as you posted. In fact, the price on your link is the best one I have seen around. Do you know if these guys are a reputable source?

Seth,

I've only ordered from them once. But it was a no hassle experience. I bought 3 cases of 750's from them. Everything went fine. Had I not found my local source a mere 4 miles from my house, I'd still be ordering from them. I did find that it pays to play with the quantities though. You might be able to get 2 cases shipped for $20, but adding a third case may not increase shipping at all. So, look at different quantities - there may be a "sweet spot" that will make shipping a little easier to bear.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for the link. I also saw them bottles. Now the question is what kind of corks and what kind of corker I will need to get them corks into the bottles.

Pretty sure most use a 9 x 1.75 cork

Would think a floor corker would work just fine

Yeah, I think im gona need to get me one of those floor corkers.. Most of the bottles I have been doing with my hand corker have corks in them that are only halfway in.

Just ordered a Portuguese floor corker, 3 cases of 375 ml Bordeaux bottles , as well as 100 synthetic Normacorcs for extended aging.

I ordered from juicegrape.com and it ended up costing me $ 141 in total. Hooray for free shipping code and no tax!! My only complaint is that their website needs some serious work.

At Midwest a similar order would of costing around $180 if I remember correctly

and at shore container the bottles would of ended up costing me $100 alone because of shipping.

Toys! I got them! woo! So today I got to come home to a new floor corker, a boatload of bottles and 100 corks. Of course, the first thing I did was test this beast out. The cork went right on in with one beautiful motion. I did get some very slight ridging on the cork that was only apparent to me after running my hand on an extracted cork. I have heard of this happening before but I do not think it will be an issue. It did not leak water and I doubt that it will leak air. Esp once I put wax on top of the corks.

Of course, and for all of you out there I have some pictures... Because pictures are cool!

Port bottling is set to commence on Friday.

Congrats on the new toys! Just got a Port. corker myself a few months ago - so much better than the two lever handheld.

Back