Berry wines fermenting too fast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theTheme

Reaction score
I'm on my third batch of berry wine now and I'm afraid they are fermenting too fast. They are going completely dry right in the bucket in a max of 3 days. I'm concerned because these are my first batches ever and I don't know exactly what they will taste like after aging/bottling. I've been reading that fermenting too fast can destroy or cover nuances and flavor in berry wines.

I'm using the 1 gallon kit from Midwest with Montrachet yeast. I'm going to get other yeasts for other wines (pear is coming up), but that's what I had to start with so that's what I used.

Batches made so far: Strawberry, Strawberry/Cherry, Blueberry.

Yes, it is consistently between 71 and 75. I know it's a little on the high side, but I don't have any way to cool the apartment down (stream heater with no regulator, that range is the best I can do with a cracked window).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Wine Making mobile app

I believe that the temperature tolerance is between 59° - 86°, you are well within a safe range.

theTheme:

Personally I'm more concerned about fermenting too slow than too fast, but 3 days is pretty quick.

What are your starting and ending specific gravities? If the starting sg is low, then I guess quick will happen.

Steve

The first was a little light, 1.084 (strawberry). The other two have been 1.090 (strawberry/cherry) and 1.094 (blueberry).

Personally I'm more concerned about fermenting too slow than too fast, but 3 days is pretty quick.

Gotta love winemaking; I'm exactly the opposite.

My first few fermentations were lightning-fast, 3-5 days. As time has gone on, I've found my personal 'style' ( ? ) is more inline with a longer fermentation, something around two weeks - attained by a mixture of manipulating temperature and nutrients

Neither of us is any more right than the other, but it does have an impact in the outcome, a majority of the time.

Latest posts

Back