Benefits of Degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
Other then helping in the clearing, what are other benefits of doing a good job degassing your wine? Any benefit degassing after stabilizing?

Biggest is to get all the fizzies (gas) out and taste

Taste.

I think if you do not degass properly your wine will have a negative taste,it is hard to explain the taste. IMO

The gas will be quite noticeable when pouring the wine leaving lots of bubbles in the glass. It causes a pickiness on the tongue like getting stuck with tiny needles. That detracts from the wine experience. If it happens, decant the bottle an hour ahead of drinking. If you don't finish off the decanter full of wine, pour it back into the bottle, cork it and refrigerate for whites or keep where cool for a red. Because you let it breathe for a while, you effectively degassed it before use.

Some people may like this like a slightly sparkling wine but most wines wont benefit from this.

I agree with the negative taste. I have 3 kits in bottles that were not degassed correctly and for the most part they all have the same taste (1 Zin, 1 Cab, 1 Barolo). Maybe I am oversensative but it seems to overpower the differences in the grape varietals. Decanting helpsbut I don't believe the wine has aged the same with the gas still trapped. Even at 1 1/2 years old they still taste real young and green.

Welcome aboard, mrrazz. I always degass my meads.
smiley1.gif

I degas all my meads..mainly to help with the clearing....Most of my meads just clear with time....

mrzazz said:
Do you also degass meads?

Sometimes, really depends on my game plan for the mead. If I am trying to get it to bottle quickly then yes I degas. If I am in no hurry and its going to sit for a while and for me that means 2-3 years then no I don't and I'll try and let it clear on its own as well.

Thanks, I made a welches concord grape mead that is very tasty. Its only one month old. I wonder what it will taste like in a year?
smiley2.gif

ibglowin said:
My spouse likes me much better when I am degassed............

I bet it is the process of getting there that she finds unpleasant.
smiley11.gif

I degas every wine that I make so that it clears properly and in a good time frame.

Latest posts

Back