SECONDARY ODD SEPERATION?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have no idea what white wine to use and would rather not alter my composition with some generic box store wine :(

Since you’re making a raspberry, apple, honey wine I would use a Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, etc.

Water, as noted above, would be the worst choice to make, unless it was your only choice. Thankfully it is not your only choice.

Since you’re making a raspberry, apple, honey wine I would use a Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, etc.

Water, as noted above, would be the worst choice to make, unless it was your only choice. Thankfully it is not your only choice.
Oh it's not for that one. The top up is for a 1 gal batch of a tea infused mead. Just pumpkin spice chamomile and honey.

Oh it's not for that one. The top up is for a 1 gal batch of a tea infused mead. Just pumpkin spice chamomile and honey.
I'd use the same choices.

Think of it this way -- your primary purpose is to protect your investment, the wine. It needs topping up and that trumps all other ideas, including "purity" of the wine. If the wine oxidizes, it won't be whatever you wanted it to be, right?

For future reference, one of the critical initial steps is batch size planning. Look at your secondary containers, the fruit and other additives, and make a guesstimate on post-racking volume. Always plan for more than you have secondary storage, e.g., when making a 4 liter batch, I'd plan for 5 initial liters, which with fruit bulk will possibly be more the 8 liters.

How about the same “tea” with Everclear? You would need to calculate with Fermcalc.

Last edited:
Get a 15 bottle carboy and rack all of your wine off of the sediment. If you leave it on the sediment too long it may start to stink. Sulphite if you haven't so far after you rack it. Try to have a selection of glass container sizes. I have 5 Imperial gallons (30 bottles) , 4.5 Imperial gallons (25 bottles), small carboy (15 bottles), Imperial gallon (6 bottles), US gallon (5 bottles) and so on down. Have enough containers and sizes so you don't have to compromise your wines. I have a pile of 15 bottle carboys because they are easy to lift onto the top shelf of my cooler. e.g. Two 25 bottle carboys can be racked into 30 bottle and 15 bottle carboy.

I also have 4 bottle containers, 3 bottle containers, 2.5 bottle containers all the way down to 1/2 bottle containers. Try to set yourself up so you can do anything without being forced to dilute your wines with anything unless of course you decide it because you like it that way.

Last edited:
Get a 15 bottle carboy and rack all of your wine off of the sediment. If you leave it on the sediment too long it may start to stink. Sulphite if you haven't so far after you rack it. Try to have a selection of glass container sizes. I have 5 Imperial gallons (30 bottles) , 4.5 Imperial gallons (25 bottles), small carboy (15 bottles), Imperial gallon (6 bottles), US gallon (5 bottles) and so on down. Have enough containers and sizes so you don't have to compromise your wines. I have a pile of 15 bottle carboys because they are easy to lift onto the top shelf of my cooler. e.g. Two 25 bottle carboys can be racked into 30 bottle and 15 bottle carboy.

I also have 4 bottle containers, 3 bottle containers, 2.5 bottle containers all the way down to 1/2 bottle containers. Try to set yourself up so you can do anything without being forced to dilute your wines with anything unless of course you decide it because you like it that way.
I do not know a single person who measures their glass storage in "bottles" lol.
I have a selection of 6 gal all the way down to 1/2 gal and some empty wine bottles but dealing with 1 gal batches makes it challenging some days. That's all. I have never had to dilute in the past because I was always prepared for such things but I didn't plan my 1 gal batches very well. My 50L batch will have plenty of glass to keep it at proper levels when racking.

I do not know a single person who measures their glass storage in "bottles"
@Hazelmere works in Imperial measurements and he's providing clear direction regarding his measurements. One of the ongoing issues on the forum is we use multiple measurement systems. I try to report in metric as it's unambiguous.

Latest posts

Back