Transferring to Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monnster

Junior
Joined
Apr 8, 2024
Messages
9
Reaction score
7
Location
PA
This is my second time making SP. The first bath was great but went really quickly through the fermentation process. However I am on my second 5gallon batch. It started well, but a little high for SG at 1.130. the yeast took about 3 days to really get going, but went strong for 7 straight days with a good cap. I took SG again tonight is it is at 1.080. intypically wait till around 1.050-1.030 before transferring to secondary with airlock. My question is, since the SG is still relatively high, should I keep it in the primary or transfer to secondary with airlock. The cap it not as promennate with a nice white color about 3/4 to and inch thick.
 
This is my second time making SP. The first bath was great but went really quickly through the fermentation process. However I am on my second 5gallon batch. It started well, but a little high for SG at 1.130. the yeast took about 3 days to really get going, but went strong for 7 straight days with a good cap. I took SG again tonight is it is at 1.080. intypically wait till around 1.050-1.030 before transferring to secondary with airlock. My question is, since the SG is still relatively high, should I keep it in the primary or transfer to secondary with airlock. The cap it not as promennate with a nice white color about 3/4 to and inch thick.
rack it. The oxygen absorbed during racking will boost its ferment. Racking it now won't damage it but should improve the ferment.
 
This is my second time making SP. The first bath was great but went really quickly through the fermentation process. However I am on my second 5gallon batch. It started well, but a little high for SG at 1.130. the yeast took about 3 days to really get going, but went strong for 7 straight days with a good cap. I took SG again tonight is it is at 1.080. intypically wait till around 1.050-1.030 before transferring to secondary with airlock. My question is, since the SG is still relatively high, should I keep it in the primary or transfer to secondary with airlock. The cap it not as promennate with a nice white color about 3/4 to and inch thick.
I am not sure of the responses will change, but I forgot to add that the yeast I'm using is Lalvin EC1118.
 
The recipe says to add the second half of the yeast nutrient and energizer somewhere around sg 1.050, if memory serves.

If it were me, given that it started so high, I would add the nutrient and energizer now and stir it up good. I would leave it in the bucket for a while yet. As @BigDaveK wrote, it's easier to deal with issues in a bucket than in a carboy.

Stirring it will add oxygen for the yeastie beasties and may kick them back into gear, without needing to rack.
 
With an OG of 1.130, even with EC-1118, it's very possible the ferment will not complete to dryness as the ABV will be pushing 18%. While EC-1118 is rated for 18%, that's in lab conditions. Field results are not necessarily consistent.

The overall amount of sugar has an impact on the yeast -- if the must is too rich, the yeast may not eat.

I agree with Joni -- add nutrient and yeast now, and stir very well. I'd leave it in the bucket, since (as Dave said) it's easier to deal with problems in the bucket, and you can stir 2-3 times a day in a bucket, whereas you can't in a full carboy.

How much lemon juice did you add up front? A very low pH may also be a problem.

If it were me, I'd rack around 1.030 and once in the carboy I'd ignore it for 3 weeks. The final part of fermentation is probably going to be slow, so once it's under airlock there's no value in hovering over it. Do not be a helicopter winemaker. ;)
 
I unfortunately added the full amount of lemon to the mix
With an OG of 1.130, even with EC-1118, it's very possible the ferment will not complete to dryness as the ABV will be pushing 18%. While EC-1118 is rated for 18%, that's in lab conditions. Field results are not necessarily consistent.

The overall amount of sugar has an impact on the yeast -- if the must is too rich, the yeast may not eat.

I agree with Joni -- add nutrient and yeast now, and stir very well. I'd leave it in the bucket, since (as Dave said) it's easier to deal with problems in the bucket, and you can stir 2-3 times a day in a bucket, whereas you can't in a full carboy.

How much lemon juice did you add up front? A very low pH may also be a problem.

If it were me, I'd rack around 1.030 and once in the carboy I'd ignore it for 3 weeks. The final part of fermentation is probably going to be slow, so once it's under airlock there's no value in hovering over it. Do not be a helicopter winemaker. ;)
I have made other wines and mead but this is my second attempt at SP. My last batch I got around 17.3% using the EC-1118
 
I unfortunately added the full amount of lemon to the mix
Can you test the pH? That will give us an idea if acid is the problem.

Has the SG dropped since yesterday? ANY drop in SG is a good sign.

If it's not moving, I'd make an overnight starter with another packet of EC-1118 and inoculate tomorrow morning. That will increase the size of the colony and will hopefully help things move along. My method of creating an overnight starter is here.
 
Can you test the pH? That will give us an idea if acid is the problem.

Has the SG dropped since yesterday? ANY drop in SG is a good sign.

If it's not moving, I'd make an overnight starter with another packet of EC-1118 and inoculate tomorrow morning. That will increase the size of the colony and will hopefully help things move along. My method of creating an overnight starter is here.
I unfortunately added the full amount of lemon to the mix

I have made other wines and mead but this is my second attempt at SP. My last batch I got around 17.3% using the EC-1118
I can not test the ph as I don't have that apecificeasurent tool yet. I did just test the SP and it went from 1.080 yesterday to 1.072 today after adding some yeast nutrient. I also moved it to a lightly warmer area. My current house is at 68 degrees and I just moved it to an area that will be around 72 degrees for the next couple days. Hopefully this will help as well.
 
I can not test the ph as I don't have that apecificeasurent tool yet. I did just test the SP and it went from 1.080 yesterday to 1.072 today after adding some yeast nutrient. I also moved it to a lightly warmer area. My current house is at 68 degrees and I just moved it to an area that will be around 72 degrees for the next couple days. Hopefully this will help as well.
That's all positive.
 
This is my second time making SP. The first bath was great but went really quickly through the fermentation process. However I am on my second 5gallon batch. It started well, but a little high for SG at 1.130. the yeast took about 3 days to really get going, but went strong for 7 straight days with a good cap. I took SG again tonight is it is at 1.080. intypically wait till around 1.050-1.030 before transferring to secondary with airlock. My question is, since the SG is still relatively high, should I keep it in the primary or transfer to secondary with airlock. The cap it not as promennate with a nice white color about 3/4 to and inch thick.
Fortunately over the past two days my SP has dropped from 1.08 to 1.062. the cap has reduced a lot but still has a nice cover for pure white foam. I am hoping for it to drop some more before racking to secondary. Since it started high I believe I will be left with a sweeter SP than I initially wanted. I may add a little more lemon when racking. Thanks everyone for the advice and I took a mix of many of you. SP is something relatively new to me and definitely a different approach than mead and wine in some aspects.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top