Be aware!!!! Chinese carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sigh in disbelief when I think of what America is becoming. Our country which was built from an industrial revolution has sold what made us the strongest.... To the highest bidder. We squash unions in order to pay our brothers and sisters minimum wage and send the jobs of their mothers and fathers to other countries. Ceos make record bonuses while our welfare system and poverty levels swell to astronomical proportions. As a construction worker i see first hand how junk is being used to literally build our country and am scared for our future. Question: if these corporate conglomerates are taking our money for their goods and services but paying wages outside our borders doesn't that create an unbalance in our economy? Make money here, spend money here..... Make money there, no money available to spend here. Simple right? So since these yahoos cant figure this out who amongst us will vote for me so i can teach it to them lol.

Well here is another area that patience comes into play. If you keep an eye on Craigslist you will eventually get enough carboys and I doubt any will be Chinese.

Julie said:
Well here is another area that patience comes into play. If you keep an eye on Craigslist you will eventually get enough carboys and I doubt any will be Chinese.

Through Craigslist, I have a nice collection of Mexican, Italian, and Distilla glass carboys and I wouldn't trade them for anything!

tingo said:
I sigh in disbelief when I think of what America is becoming. Our country which was built from an industrial revolution has sold what made us the strongest.... To the highest bidder. We squash unions in order to pay our brothers and sisters minimum wage and send the jobs of their mothers and fathers to other countries. Ceos make record bonuses while our welfare system and poverty levels swell to astronomical proportions. As a construction worker i see first hand how junk is being used to literally build our country and am scared for our future. Question: if these corporate conglomerates are taking our money for their goods and services but paying wages outside our borders doesn't that create an unbalance in our economy? Make money here, spend money here..... Make money there, no money available to spend here. Simple right? So since these yahoos cant figure this out who amongst us will vote for me so i can teach it to them lol.

Unions are great, but with all great things, they must change with the times. Power corrupts and the power in unions are just as bad as the CEOs.

Ahhh, I knew those Amazon carboys were too good to be true.

I haven't bought any in a while, but the 18 or so Paklab carboys I ordered from amazon have been fine and all Italian.

My local graden center just iordered 14 more 6 gallons carboys from brew craft, "1-make_ is the mark on them for 31.99 each, wed nite is 10% off, I'll be buying a few...lol

One of the problems today is the big push for college. College is great! Don't get me wrong, it's just a matter of if 80% of our children are college educated and believe that doing a blue collar job has no status or value then we have no one to do the jobs that create the products. What other choice is there then than to buy an inferior product? What happened to the day that people were just happy to be with and raise their families?

Q: Why do we need all the stuff that we buy?

A: To justify all the time that we spend working and away from our loved ones.

I look forward to your responses.

rezod11 said:
One of the problems today is the big push for college. College is great! Don't get me wrong, it's just a matter of if 80% of our children are college educated and believe that doing a blue collar job has no status or value then we have no one to do the jobs that create the products. What other choice is there then than to buy an inferior product? What happened to the day that people were just happy to be with and raise their families?

Q: Why do we need all the stuff that we buy?

A: To justify all the time that we spend working and away from our loved ones.

I look forward to your responses.

It's true we all do not need college education. In today's world, skills beyond high school are a necessity for a decent living, meaning skilled trades.

Rocky said:
Bob, I think you are talking about "Milorganite" (Milwaukee Organic Nitogen) which is a long way from using raw human waste. It begins as sewage but through a specific and controlled process is turned into a very pure and high nitrogen fertilzer. I agree with you that US companies design, spec and accept the products that are made in China but I disagree that the fault lies totally with them. As long as people are willing to pay for inferior products, why should the companies do otherwise? It is up to we consumers to change this process. Vote with you wallet!

Milorganite is not human waste! It is simply the micro organisms that feed on the waste. I live in Milwaukee and as a plumber have toured "Jones Island" (where it is produced) and the milorganite plant on several occasions. I also strictly ONLY use it for fertilizing everything from my lawn, trees, garden and even house plants. Fully organic

Metrogro is different, twisted. They claim it's all treated, but the entire county stills reeks of raw sewage during fertilizer time every year, with hundreds of sick people to follow. But it's safe, just ask 'em!

I'm at the shop now. The carboys we sold that had issues with had Vintners Harvest written on the box.

Grrr........Buddy had another Chinese Carboy crack along the base!!!!!! WTF!! I was there this time to hear if crack, just like a windshield in the winter...SNAP!!!
We salvaged the wine, but damn! These were the batch of brewcraft carboys, Ironic enough the same parent company as the Vinters harvest.... dammit! I have a brunello in one as well, It will come out in the morning.
The only common denominator is that it is on a ceramic tile counter top, maybe the tile is too cold? They are not bounced, slammed or dragged at all.

Tom I don't think you or the surface is the issue here. I think its the batch of glass you got. Many folks store them on their concrete basement floors.
Don't you have a pumpkin you can cover them with like a demijohn. :)

BobF said:
Corn is frequently fertilized with 'sludge' from the city sewage treatment plant in Wisconsin (Madison area).

If you're unlucky enough to be in the area, it will literally gag you into puking.

WI, USA ... Not WI, China

I'm not a big fan of Chinese products, but you should remember that most of the time there is a US based company providing the specs and accepting things they have produced in China.

As long as we let the US companies off the hook by blaming the Chinese, they will keep doing what they're doing.

Agreed, but one way to not let them off the hook is to reduce demand for Chinese made products. To go a bit further, figure out which US firms are providing the specs/importing/etc and avoid them entirely (like Wal*Mart; I realize in smaller towns this is harder to avoid these days, but if you live in a city and shop at Wal*Mart...). If you're going to pay more to vote with your dollar, pay more at a locally owned and operated store (which also reduces trucking waste and helps support your community). Eventually the companies will get the message that cheaper, lower quality with accepted returns isn't good enough, if enough people do it. And if not, who cares? Your wine still benefits from not being all over your basement floor. :)

Ironic update, the LHBS that sold the original batch of Chinese carboys decide to have a "sale" all of the carboys have been reduced... the one employee made the mistake of slipping and telling my buddy that a few customers had carboys that cracked along the base...
What a piece of garbage these people are, instead of doing the right thing, they have decided to try to move the entire shipment of carboys, which is usually a container load, and pass the bad product to their customers.... I am disgusted.....

Unions are great, but with all great things, they must change with the times. Power corrupts and the power in unions are just as bad as the CEOs.

Just a comment regarding unions. Not all unions are the same. I am a member of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). The "power" derived from leveraging with the voice of every firefighter in the US is used to demand conformation with safety standards that protect and save the lives of firefighters and civilians alike. Without that voice, the city I work for would provide me with substandard equipment, inadequate code regulations, and outdated medical protocals, all of which would cost lives---in a profession that is already one of the most dangerous in the world.

Hug a firefighter today! :hug

Latest posts

Back