Be aware!!!! Chinese carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my carboy. It's definitely a manufacturing flaw. It feels rough like broken glass and is set into the glass. It is not a "crack" all the way through but definitely a point of weakness for the glass. It feels like a big deep scratch was made in the glass. I should mention that Midwest is sending out a replacement asap. They have been very good and I give their customer service credit.

1385878_10100294254109539_1748763613_n.jpg

1393959_10100294254219319_208087761_n.jpg

Even with that flaw, the most likely failure point (under vacuum) is the transition from bottom to side. The bottom is being evenly pushed into the vessel, which is why most carboy failures involve the bottom breaking out. Do the math, it'll scare ya'. A full implosion collapse of the sidewalls is pretty unlikely without a major defect in the glass.

It is a good thing that you caught it now !!

It is nice to know that Midwest is Taking care of the situation - as for some suppliers that they would shove you off directly to the supplier or all the red tape per say !!

Looking at the one I bought last spring, I have a similar mark.

ForumRunner_20131009_235747.jpg

I bet it's a relic of the manufacturing process, like "chill marks" or something. I would bet dollars to donuts that the replacement one Midwest is sending has the same mark. I have used mine for several batches now and have carried it around (no pump, just autosiphon)

I have bought several from Midwest. I have 5 3gals and never had any problems with them. I have bought 4 5 gal and the free 6 gal and 4 of the 5 have had these defects. I wonder if they get their larger carboys from a different manufacturer.

I just bought a 6 gallon today, and it has the same mark on it. Actually, all the carboys on display at the local store had them as well, so I think it's just a relic as well. I'm not driving back to exchange it. I'm sure it will be fine.

Big kudos to Midwest. I sent them those pictures and asked if I could replace the carboy. No questions asked, they immediately sent out a new one. This one is Italian and in perfect condition. No bubbles, no scratches, no cracks. They didn't want the original one back. Great customer service.

I recieved 4 carboys from midwest and have the same problem. I will be calling today for replacements

I have ordered from them plenty times in the past with no issues. I would think that they would have some sort of quality assurance inspection before these carboys go out.

Hard to believe they are not aware of this issue

Update:

Let me apologize to MidWest as I got my order mixed up. The scored carboys were from Northern Brewer...I got off the phone with a customer service rep. I will not name him. He told me this was common with all carboys and it should not be an issue even if you pull a vacuum on them.

I explained to him that I have many carboys Italian and they do not have a these issues. I also explained to him they are riddled with bubbles as well. He asked that I send him pictures which I did. On one of the carboys at the bottom. You can feel the score and it is quite sharp.

He did not seem so concerned about it. We will see if Northern Brewer step up to the plate and do the right thing. I spent 200 dollars on Carboys with Northern Brewer I expect a great product in return. Again, I apologize to Mid-West. Cheers

if the store is a no go on replacement I wonder if a wind shied glass repair service can fix it

A couple years ago i purchased an Italian carboy from my local HBS and later discovered it had a scratch like the one you show. I pointed it out to the store and we opened up more boxes looking for a replacment. They had just got a new shippment in and all of them had the same marks so it must have been made during the manufacturing process. I have since sold it off and now I check closely before buying.

cheers

I picked up two 6 gallon glass carboys from Grow Masters in Gurnee, IL. The box said Made in Italy. No defects I could see. The bottom of the carboy has a heavy stone/marble pattern. I have not cleaned/tested them yet.

I picked up two 6 gallon glass carboys from Grow Masters in Gurnee, IL. The box said Made in Italy. No defects I could see. The bottom of the carboy has a heavy stone/marble pattern. I have not cleaned/tested them yet.

I believe you will be fine -

Back