Be aware!!!! Chinese carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dangerdave said:
Just a comment regarding unions. Not all unions are the same. I am a member of the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). The "power" derived from leveraging with the voice of every firefighter in the US is used to demand conformation with safety standards that protect and save the lives of firefighters and civilians alike. Without that voice, the city I work for would provide me with substandard equipment, inadequate code regulations, and outdated medical protocals, all of which would cost lives---in a profession that is already one of the most dangerous in the world.

Hug a firefighter today! :hug

Glad to here there are some good ones out there.

This is the same LHBS that advised your friend that sulfites ruined his wine?

Greg, no as a matter of fact, this is a LHBS that is over an hr away.

I guess i'll have to make some clarification on my buddies..lol, I have two that I am converting to making wine a bit better than that have been, I have them started on kits, then we can move back to juice pails and/or grapes.

The one buddy, lets call him Mr. D, he is the friend who had been making wine for over 20 years, the old fashioned way, juice in the carboy, ferment and leave for a few years in the garage, with mice and temps that fluctuated from -10 in the winter to 130 in the summer..... he is the buddy who has all of the carboy issues, 5 or 6 kits going as we speak.

The other buddy, I'll call him Mr. S, had 45 gallons of wine spoil on him due to getting a lot of bad advice initially, and no info when he needed it, this is the buddy who was told that the addition of meta was the cause of his wine spoiling...lol

The best part, I was telling him about the All in one pump and how much I use it and all the neat things you can do, including filtering your wine...he stops me and says.."but the LHBS owner (the same bung hole that told him about the meta being the problem) that if you filter your wine, it will remove all of the taste and color....
I almost fell to the floor laughing, this guy is a major source for misinformation....

Never thought i would buy products Made In Mexico on purpose next china will be trying to sell inferior juice with who knows what in it

Wow.. We need to be more careful about the products we buy.. We lost our Dalmation to bad chinese dogfood..

Wow.. We need to be more careful about the products we buy.. We lost our Dalmation to bad chinese dogfood..

What was the product name, if you don't mind sharing? I am seriously thinkinng of making my own dogfood.

Doug, we were doing the same thing with the chicken jerky. We bought the boneless chicken breasts at Sam's (usually $1.97/pound), sliced them thin and dehydrated them. We store them in the freezer and move a bag into the refrigerator for daily use. Since we found the Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats at Sam's which are US chicken made in the USA, we are now buying them.

Julie, how do you make sweet potato jerky? Do you just slice and dehydrated sweet potatoes? Do you peel the potatoes? Blanch or boil them? Sounds interesting. My little guys love veggie's.

rezod11 said:
If your looking for a great quality made in the USA dog food, Fromm is what we use. They are a smaller business, family owned and operated in Wisconsin.

http://frommfamily.com/

Here is what we fed our dogs growing up, an old family recipe: leftovers!

Doug, we were doing the same thing with the chicken jerky. We bought the boneless chicken breasts at Sam's (usually $1.97/pound), sliced them thin and dehydrated them. We store them in the freezer and move a bag into the refrigerator for daily use. Since we found the Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats at Sam's which are US chicken made in the USA, we are now buying them.

Julie, how do you make sweet potato jerky? Do you just slice and dehydrated sweet potatoes? Do you peel the potatoes? Blanch or boil them? Sounds interesting. My little guys love veggie's.

I sliced them about 1/8 of an inch thick, did not peel and since I thru my dehydrator out years ago, I used my oven, 250 for 3 to 4 hours. They will keep for up to 3 weeks in the frig or freeze them.

The only treats my dog gets are carrots they are chunchy ,sweet and cheap about a buck a bag plus they are low cal and good for him as long as nobody tells him there vegtAbles and not treats

Back to the bad batch of Chinese carboys. I had ordered another dozen 6 gallon carboys back in December. I just put them to work starting in January and have had 3 of them break at the base. These were brand new never used carboys. We handle them like babies so "handling" wasn't the cause of breakage. I was right next to them when I heard them crack.
One time it broke when I began to lift a full 6

These are the same exact brands that I have just now read about on this forum.
QUOTE.......
" that had issues with had Vintners Harvest written on the box."

On the bottom of the carboys it says Imake.

When 25% of brand new carboys fail on their very first use, that is a huge problem. I strongly recommend that before any of you purchase carboys, you may want to see what brand they are before you buy them.
I called my distributer and am waiting to hear back from the manager to see if there is any recourse.

Norske were they ribbed carboys or smooth sided? We haven't had any complaints with the carboys we sell here in our brew shop and they are ribbed in the Vintners Harvest box.

I would look but we are completely sold out of them at the moment! I wouldn't want to sell anyone something that could break - what a catastrophe!!

Last edited:
Perhaps someone could post a pick of these "chinese" carboys?

Doug, you may find out that the next time you order you will not be getting anymore of the "Italian" carboys if you order from Crosby Baker or BSG.

They are ribbed, come in a Vintner Harvest box, say IMAKE on the bottom. Polar hug where is your brewshop?

Right down the street from you - Copper Kettle on K-Beach. I think you have stopped in before. Although we wouldn't have carried the dozen you needed to order for your large batches of fruit wine, usually we just have 4-6 in stock. I'll check the carboys when the next pallet comes in. Scary stuff. :h

Can't wait to try out your first release!

Latest posts

Back