Apple wine and ... cider wine? ;-)

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Amandolin

Junior
Reaction score
Today I started a slight variation on Apfelwein

(see pic for my recipe/notes)

I’m planning to try the same concept in my other 3 gal carboy but with cider and dark brown sugar.

Anybody have any recommendations for additions? I was wondering if it would benefit from adding...
- Golden raisins
- More apple peels
- Oak
- ?

Attachments

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I started a slight variation on Apfelwein

(see pic for my recipe/notes)

I’m planning to try the same concept in my other 3 gal carboy but with cider and dark brown sugar.

Anybody have any recommendations for additions? I was wondering if it would benefit from adding...
- Golden raisins
- More apple peels
- Oak
- ?
What’s the SG of the must after combining all of the ingredients?

Amandolin

Junior
Reaction score
What’s the SG of the must after combining all of the ingredients?
Didn't even measure it! Since I made it right into the carboy it wasn't full enough to reach the thief in until after I added the yeast. Per the recipe it should end up being about 8.5%.

crabjoe

Reaction score
Didn't even measure it! Since I made it right into the carboy it wasn't full enough to reach the thief in until after I added the yeast. Per the recipe it should end up being about 8.5%.
So how's yours looking? I just finished 5 gallons and it had very little body, and I has added a tsp of tannin before I pitched the yeast.

This time I'm going to increase the starting SG to 1.075 because I'm looking for a minimum of 10% abv.. I'm also going to throw a banana in with primary for, hopefully, some body.

If you can think of anything else to give it more body, please let me know. If the banana idea is bad, I need to know that too.

Thanks

G259

Reaction score
I have a couple, 1 gal. cider wine, and 3 gal. cider mead. Waiting!
I found a commercial brand (on sale) that had no preservatives.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I have a couple, 1 gal. cider wine, and 3 gal. cider mead. Waiting!
I found a commercial brand (on sale) that had no preservatives.
Your cyser, how much honey did you use per gallon?

bshef

Highland Meadow Vineyard
Reaction score
I make a cloudy cider that I back-sweeten with frozen apple juice concentrate. It really helps the apple flavor come forward. Mine is a hard cider using Nottingham yeast but it still needs some body and taste after fermentation. You just have to decide amounts by taste.

Latest posts