Apple wine and ... cider wine? ;-)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amandolin

Junior
Reaction score
Today I started a slight variation on Apfelwein

(see pic for my recipe/notes)

I’m planning to try the same concept in my other 3 gal carboy but with cider and dark brown sugar.

Anybody have any recommendations for additions? I was wondering if it would benefit from adding...
- Golden raisins
- More apple peels
- Oak
- ?

Attachments

• E98A3EE2-59A8-4D1C-8417-B223A679CAFB.jpeg
    E98A3EE2-59A8-4D1C-8417-B223A679CAFB.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 45
Today I started a slight variation on Apfelwein

(see pic for my recipe/notes)

I’m planning to try the same concept in my other 3 gal carboy but with cider and dark brown sugar.

Anybody have any recommendations for additions? I was wondering if it would benefit from adding...
- Golden raisins
- More apple peels
- Oak
- ?
What’s the SG of the must after combining all of the ingredients?

What’s the SG of the must after combining all of the ingredients?

Didn't even measure it! Since I made it right into the carboy it wasn't full enough to reach the thief in until after I added the yeast. Per the recipe it should end up being about 8.5%.

Didn't even measure it! Since I made it right into the carboy it wasn't full enough to reach the thief in until after I added the yeast. Per the recipe it should end up being about 8.5%.

So how's yours looking? I just finished 5 gallons and it had very little body, and I has added a tsp of tannin before I pitched the yeast.

This time I'm going to increase the starting SG to 1.075 because I'm looking for a minimum of 10% abv.. I'm also going to throw a banana in with primary for, hopefully, some body.

If you can think of anything else to give it more body, please let me know. If the banana idea is bad, I need to know that too.

Thanks

I have a couple, 1 gal. cider wine, and 3 gal. cider mead. Waiting!
I found a commercial brand (on sale) that had no preservatives.

I have a couple, 1 gal. cider wine, and 3 gal. cider mead. Waiting!
I found a commercial brand (on sale) that had no preservatives.

Your cyser, how much honey did you use per gallon?

I make a cloudy cider that I back-sweeten with frozen apple juice concentrate. It really helps the apple flavor come forward. Mine is a hard cider using Nottingham yeast but it still needs some body and taste after fermentation. You just have to decide amounts by taste.

Back