Anyone ever use an auto engine lift?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runningwolf & others use a handful of low, wheeled platforms to move around their carboys - this doesnt tackle the lifting issue, just movement - but a vacuum pump would solve 95% of the problems (the other 5% being the ability to clean an empty carboy, safely)

An engine lift would be difficult to safely move around carboys just due to the fact that theres only one contact point where the hook is. Any movement is gonna cause the carboys to swing/sway - this might not be such a problem with a heavy motor, but lighten the load to just a couple carboys, give that engine mount a good bump & the wine would soar.

All-In-One Pump or Medical Vacuum Pump :b

Way overkill! Just get an "All in One" and the only time you'll need to lift a carbohydrates is when its empty and needs cleaning. Now you can get medical aspirator pumps on EBay but then youll need to spend lots more to be able to bottle wine and between shipping and driving around trying to find all the other parts you will have spent just about as much and this All in One is much more compact and takes up very little space in your wine area.

I agree.. you would need to build a special hoist to keep the carboy form swinging all over the place... not worth it in my opinion.

$180 + $90 shipping for the engine hoist, get the All in One pump.

but if you insist on getting the hoist.... Cover it with foam pipe wrap and zip ties, and use the orange carboy handles to hook the chain to...:mny

Last edited:
is that a typo on shipping?

Description
The shop crane and engine hoist delivers the lifting ability you need to with the advantage of compact storage. Includes ram, chain and hook.
  • Boom extends from 36-1/4" to 50-1/4"
  • Crane height adjusts from 70-3/4" to 82-3/4"
  • Clevis grab hook with safety latch
  • Double ball bearing swivel casters
  • Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge
Maximum working capacity: 1 tonBoom height: 70-3/4" @ 2000 lbs, 82-3/4" @ 500 lbs.Ram capacity: 3 ton.Shipping Weight: 151.00 lbs.

I would also suggest a small diaphram pump. Just move the liquids and don't take the chance of an accident with a contraption. Another benefit of using a pump is hooking up an inline filter. My equipment is a shurflow diaphram pump with a 35 micron prefilter upstream. Then a 10" cartridge filter housing with Watts "FM" series washable filter cartridge. The cartrige I use the most is a 5 micron. I like the cartridge filtering because at the end, I can turn the cartridge upside down and get all the wine out so there is very little waste and because the cartridge is washable and reuseable. I have mine setup with 3/8" hose, but I think if I were doing it over, I would use smaller diameter hose like 1/4" to reduce "hose wrestling".

Last edited:
I would also suggest a small diaphram pump. Just move the liquids and don't take the chance of an accident with a contraption. Another benefit of using a pump is hooking up an inline filter. My equipment is a shurflow diaphram pump with a 35 micron prefilter upstream. Then a 10" cartridge filter housing with Watts "FM" series washable filter cartridge. The cartrige I use the most is a 5 micron. I like the cartridge filtering because at the end, I can turn the cartridge upside down and get all the wine out so there is very little waste and because the cartridge is washable and reuseable. I have mine setup with 3/8" hose, but I think if I were doing it over, I would use smaller diameter hose like 1/4" to reduce "hose wrestling".

Could you tell me which pump you got, and what 35 micron prefilter upstream and what cartridge filter did you use and where did you get them.

Is that cheaper than a all in one wine pump?

Could you tell me which pump you got, and what 35 micron prefilter upstream and what cartridge filter did you use and where did you get them.

Is that cheaper than a all in one wine pump?

I bought the pump & prefilter from a retiring home winemaker and paid $110 for both with about 20' of new hose. The model of the Shurflow is a model 2088-564-144 and operates on 110v. The prefilter is the same type sold by Buon Vino to protect their filter pumps and is also wholesaled by LD Carlson - pretty common to find these online. The canister filter housing and 5 and 20 micron filters were purchased from Amazon for $35 and was shipped free. The cartriges are "FM" series and look for the washable claim.

I don't think my setup and the "All in One" are comparing things apples to apples. My setup pumps about 3 gals./ minute, but doesn't bottle like the all in one. So I would think the "all in one" is more versatile, but I don't know the strength of the pump and if it will pump fluid from a carboy or barrel on the floor up to a barrel or carboy on a top shelf (pump head limits). I also don't know if you can hook up an upstream filter to an All-IN-One. Really some similarities, but then some really different abilities. I went the pump route because I'm really happy filling with my Buon Vino syphon auto-filler and just wanted the ability to pump up to a carboy so the syphon filler would work and have some other ability in case I go large and get barrels or a flex tank.

I seriously considered buying this lift cart a few years ago and actually wished I would have about twice. When you are making a 20-30 gallon fermentation in a Brute container it would be nice to have it sitting right on this so you could siphon off later. Also pictured is one of the many dollies I have to hold my carboys as mentioned earlier. Both of these items are at Harbor Freight. Until you're making large batches I would stick with the dollies and "All in One".

Lift cart.jpg

furniture dollie.jpg

I also have a shur-flo pump ,but I use it to santize my bottles. I personally would not use it for wine ,because you cannot clean the diaphrams very easily - for sanition purposes.

For doing large primary containers I came up with this approach using the allinone. The allinone can pull approx 13 feet straight up and yes a inline filter is also available as well.

Thanks Steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

DSCN2140 [620x465].JPG

DSCN1026 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Back