Anyone ever use an auto engine lift?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came up with tapping the inside of the filter housing to 1/2 npt and installing a plastic pipe - so it will pull off the bottom ( so there is no need to tip the filter housing anymore.
Thanks Steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

I would also suggest a small diaphram pump. Just move the liquids and don't take the chance of an accident with a contraption. Another benefit of using a pump is hooking up an inline filter. My equipment is a shurflow diaphram pump with a 35 micron prefilter upstream. Then a 10" cartridge filter housing with Watts "FM" series washable filter cartridge. The cartrige I use the most is a 5 micron. I like the cartridge filtering because at the end, I can turn the cartridge upside down and get all the wine out so there is very little waste and because the cartridge is washable and reuseable. I have mine setup with 3/8" hose, but I think if I were doing it over, I would use smaller diameter hose like 1/4" to reduce "hose wrestling".

filter housing[210x280].JPG

How about a hand-crank winch? $22. You could just lift it up to siphon out.

good idea - but not pratical in my eyes. You would have to have it in a fixed location and design a crate or something to lift the carboy and then you will have all this glass and liquid above you then - not very safe
The sediment will also be all shaken up as well - trying to move it and lift it also.

The ALLINONE can transfer a 6 gallon carboy in approx 4 minutes or so, removes ant excess CO2, filters,and it is a bottler filller (approx 15 seconds per bottle )
TRY IT as the price will be going up in the near future - it has a 30 day money back guarantee as well !!

Folks,

Keep in mind that a demijohn is about 110# of wine contained in thin glass. Try not to get too clever in the way you handle it. Winches and lifts may seem plausable, but you simply should not rely on glass to be forgiving when it is bumped around or stressed (especially when it is filled).

Take the above advice! Use a pump or just a simple dolly. Be safe!

I totally agree with JohnT on this. I have one demijohn (14.5 gallons) and it stays on a dolly on casters and on the floor. I would not try to lift it. I have pumped out of it and into it using my pump set up. The only time I lift it is when it is empty and then only to clean it. I never remove it from its protective basket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back