Mosti Mondiale Amarone 23 liter test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appleman, Is the bottle of Amarone you gave me one of your gold winning bottles?? I haven't tried it yet. I am saving it for a special occasion!!

Hi Bart!!! Funny you should ask... I plan on racking and addingthe Liquigel and Siligel this weekend(08/08/09) and let them clear for 4 to 6 weeks, and then bottle them. I need the carboys(I only have 11 6 gal.)

I will start(I will post here with photos) the Barolos Friday!!! I will keep you posted on the progress...
Darryl

Darryl said:
I need the carboys(I only have 11 6 gal.)
Darryl

Geezy Creezy!

I only have two ATM but looking to pick up another two in the next few months..... I suppose this is how it starts out! Who would have thunk that carboys are actually alot like rabbits!
smiley36.gif

Hi Mike, You are correct... the only problem is you can't find the true 23 liter(Made in Mexico) anymore!!!!!
Darryl

I picked up one (6 gal glass) at a local brew shop down in Albuquerque a few weeks ago and it was made in Italy. Cost was ~39$ plus tax. Are those typical of what everyone else is purchasing and are they holding up (quality wise) ?

I have 3 of those... and they are fine,but they are 6 1/2 gal. not 6 gal. I use mine for secondary fermentaiton... That is all you can get now... unless you find them used. They quit making them in Mexico( the true 6 gal.).

Darryl said:
I have 3 of those... and they are fine, but they are 6 1/2 gal. not 6 gal.  I use mine for secondary fermentaiton...  That is all you can get now... unless you find them used.  They quit making them in Mexico( the true 6 gal.). 

Say what? Its marked 23 litres on the box. You think its more like 24-25?

If its marked 23 liter then it should be a 6 gallon or just a smidgen over 6

Thats right!!!! 25 liter!!!! You either have to top up or use the Private Preserve inert gas that George sells... to put a gas blanket on top of your wine, while you age it!!!

There are 6 and 6 gallon carboys in the Italian! Every one is a little different size though so if you get a couple, fill them all up with the same amout of water and figure out which is the biggest and which is the smallest and mark them so that you can use them in the right order when racking. For example use the biggest 1 when transferring from primary and the smallest one when racking off all your finings after clearing so the least amount of topping off is needed.

Wade I have 3 of the 6 gal. Italian that I got from George... all 3 are 6 and 1/2 gal... I wish they were closer to 6...

Bottle is marked 23 litres on the bottom as well as on the side of the box. Got the 1 gallon plastic jug out and filled it 6 times. It came up to the top of the thin vertical glass spline. It needed about an extra liter to top off to around 2 inches from the very top.

This actually explains a lot. When I racked my CC Red Mountain Cab on Saturday suddenly I was way short (I thought I just sucked at racking....)

Had to go run out and top off with some Red Diamond Cab.
smiley5.gif

Back to topic!

Hi All, Ok... 71 days in... today I racked and added siligel and liquigel... I plan on putting them in the bottle in 4 to 6 weeks. All 3 have great color and aroma!!! Can't wait to taste!! I will not taste till May 17, 2010.

I will keep yall posted,

The old saying of someone having the "patience of Job" will need to be changed to the "patience of Darryl" !! Don't know if I could wait that long unless they were allwell hidden.
smiley1.gif

We will see.... I picked that date because it will be my 47th birthday!!! It will be a party!!! So that is the plan.
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I just started an MM All Juice Amarone yesterday and its looking good as of this AM. As this is my first MM and only my third kit can you tell me if you deviated from the instructions at all or follow exactly? You mentioned topping off, what did you top off with? I have purchased marbles (USA made) and am planning on going that route. I was planning on bulk aging for 6 months, (does that sound OK?)

Any helpful insights on this kit would be very much appreciated!

ibglowin said:
Hi Darryl,

I just started an MM All Juice Amarone yesterday and its looking good as of this AM. As this is my first MM and only my third kit can you tell me if you deviated from the instructions at all or follow exactly? You mentioned topping off, what did you top off with? I have purchased marbles (USA made) and am planning on going that route. I was planning on bulk aging for 6 months, (does that sound OK?)

Any helpful insights on this kit would be very much appreciated!

Mike, I used marbles when I made this kit. It didn't take many but just enough to bring it up to the neck of the carboy!

Hi Mike, Sorry it took so long to reply... I had comp. problems, and was down a few days! I topped up with an Amarone.... and yes I followed the instruction... I did not want to compromize the comparison test...
The marbles will be fine... I have never tried them!

Latest posts

Back