Mosti Mondiale Amarone 23 liter test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi All!!!
I started My comparison test yesterday(05/28/09)... I started all 3 RJ Amarone Kits (Megiloli, Master's Edition and All Juice)
20090529_124612_001.JPG

Here is a pic with all of stuff...
20090529_124810_002.JPG

All about the same... The Megiloli Has the most and the darkest oak... The All Juice has the least and a light tost... Master's Edition has all 3 light, medium and dark toast...
20090529_125638_005.JPG

Here is all 3... yeast is pitched and raisins added...
20090529_130059_006.JPG

All are ready to be moved into fermenting area...
I will keep yall posted with my progress.
Darryl

Very nice, Darryl!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Keep us posted on the progress and taste!!!

I think you mean MM instead of RJ. RJ Spagnols doesn't make alljuice kits. Only Mostie Mondiale does. Great experiment! I expect a post at the 1 year mark!

Great experiment. I am very interested in following your progress. I am a big Amarone fan.... currently have 2 MM Megiloli aging.

Now those should be three excellent wines! Ive done the Meglioli and Renaissance , both are very good, the Renaissance was surprisingly great! (Appleman won Gold I believe with it)

Yes Dean They are all Mosti kits!!!! I don't know why I put RJ??

JW I Have A Renaissance that has been in the bottle fora week... Can't wait to try it!!!

Great project, Darryl. The record-keeping alone will be a challenge, I suspect. How did you get so interested in Amarone's? I have kits 17 and 18 in glass with 8 on deck but so far, no amarone.

Actually RJ Spagnols does make an all juice kit called Premier Cru, I havent tried it yet though so cant tell you whats its like.

it's actually a kit with the water pre-added in the premier cru. They also do this with their Bolero kits too. I think it's deceptive practice to do that, so I don't really mention those lines of kits.

JWMINNESOTA said:
Now those should be three excellent wines! Ive done the Meglioli and Renaissance , both are very good, the Renaissance was surprisingly great! (Appleman won Gold I believe with it)

Good memory JW. It was tweaked quite a bit by bumping the ABV up to a more traditional Amarone level and had another secret done to it. That was the only kit I entered and it got one of Mosti's 2 golds out of their 10 total medals! By the way Joseph S. got the other one!

You are right Wade!!! I have both the Amarone and the Barolo in that Rj Premium Cur... Thanks for the the info Dean, I did not know they added Water to those kits???

V1, I'm doing the record keeping on Excel... I have a buddy that has an Italian food place and he turned me on to the Amarone and Barolo!! I plan on doing the same test with the 3 Mosti Barolo kits next!!
Darryl

Darryl said:
V1, I'm doing the record keeping on Excel... I have a buddy that has an Italian food place and he turned me on to the Amarone and Barolo!! I plan on doing the same test with the 3 Mosti Barolo kits next!!
Darryl
I'll be looking forward to reading about the results of these 2 experiments, Darryl. I will definitely plan on doing an amarone, but it will have to wait until 2010 to be started. My year of 2009 wine making is all planned. I like the 2 barolo kits I have made and I'm sure an amarone will be quite good when I get around to it.

20090531_090011_006.JPG

36 hrs in... all 3 are sizzling right along...
20090531_090325_005.JPG

This is the Megiloli...
20090531_090535_007.JPG

lower right 30 Amarone Renaissance... in the bottle 2 weeks.
Thats all for now...

Darryl said:
You are right Wade!!! I have both the Amarone and the Barolo in that Rj Premium Cru... Thanks for the the info Dean, I did not know they added Water to those kits???

Do you prefer akit that you add water to or a kit that you don't need to add water to? My answer, is that it depends on the quality of the kit, the price, and what am I looking for.

Basicallysome of the 23 litre pail kits are kits that have been reconstituted during packaging. IE the home winemaker doesn't have to add 13 litres of their own water to the 10 litre kit or 7 litres of their own water to a 16 litre kit.

For many of us, this is not an important consideration, but for those with poor quality water at home, it is a good product.

Actually the better quality ones (Vinterra, Premier Cru) may not have had water added. They may be juice and a smaller amount of concentrate. the 'blend'/mixture may change from batch-to-batch or year-to-year as the kits are prepared.

The lesser quality ones (Bolero, Opus V) probably are concentrate and water.

Steve

Here we are at day six... SG 1.02 on all three. Squeezed all the raisans, added the yeast nutrient and racked onto the oak...
20090603_195704_002.JPG

Here is all three...
20090603_195846_003.JPG

Here is the Meglioli
20090603_200039_004.JPG

Here is the Master's Edition...
Till next time!!!!!

Looking good, Darryl! Are you planning to bottle all 3 on the same day? Long day...

He has to now, he has to keep everything the same in the same environment! Those all look wonderful.

Latest posts

Back