Mosti Mondiale Amarone 23 liter test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
v1rotate said:
Looking good, Darryl! Are you planning to bottle all 3 on the same day? Long day...
Yes Sir!!!! I'm doing everything at the same time... That way the test will be consistent.

Great test. I can't wait to hear your results. The pics in the carboy appear to be more oak than what comes in the kits. Did you add more, how much, what kind????

RickC said:
Great test. I can't wait to hear your results. The pics in the carboy appear to be more oak than what comes in the kits. Did you add more, how much, what kind????
Hi Rick!
With this being a test... I have not added anything to the kits!!!! The oak is what came with each!!! The only difference is in the toast...The Meglioli was all dark toast(180 grams), The All Juice all light toast(not sure on grams it was not marked... it looked close to 180) and in the Master's Edition it had all 3 (light, medium and dark 180).

Darryl,
One more thank you for sharing your experiment with us!
I have been interested in the Amarone as well, mostly becausewe like other Italian wines and got hooked by the glowing and slightly inflammatory kit descriptions on Georges web site(and Mosti's too).
Wetried the WE 16 Sel Int in April of 07 andtheMeglioli Amarone with Raisins in April of 08. Haven't bottled the Meg yet but the WE is ok. It is not as dry as I would like but is somewhat "spicy"which is sometimes quite pleasant.

Jack on Rainy said:
Darryl,
One more thank you for sharing your experiment with us!
I have been interested in the Amarone as well, mostly becausewe like other Italian wines and got hooked by the glowing and slightly inflammatory kit descriptions on Georges web site(and Mosti's too).
Wetried the WE 16 Sel Int in April of 07 andtheMeglioli Amarone with Raisins in April of 08. Haven't bottled the Meg yet but the WE is ok. It is not as dry as I would like but is somewhat "spicy"which is sometimes quite pleasant.
Hi Jack!! It will be a while before I get any good info on taste... But it will be fun while i waite.

Hi All, 17 days in... I rack all 3 off of the lees and oak... degassed andadded metabislufite... All rich in color and the aroma is great!!!! The S.G. is as follows: Meglioli.996, All Juice .996 and Master's Edition .994.

20090614_190459_DSCN1166.JPG

above degassing Megiloli...
20090614_190646_DSCN1168.JPG

Above, all 3 rack degassed and top up...
I have not decided on how long I will bulk-age them!!!! I a new to wine making and see the pros and cons to each!!! The instruction(IMHO) leave it up to you... So put in yall's two cents!!!
Darryl

Bulk age for a few months to rid the wine of any sediment that will fall after fining agent has done its job and cold stabilize them also to prevent wine diamonds.

A fridge is best but if you have at least a cold basement at around 55-60* then that will work but will need more time or you could be very patient and wait till winter or just deal with wine diamonds in the bottles which really isnt a big deal just doesnt look as good but many good commercial wines will have this also.

wade said:
A fridge is best but if you have at least a cold basement at around 55-60* then that will work but will need more time or you could be very patient and wait till winter or just deal with wine diamonds in the bottles which really isnt a big deal just doesnt look as good but many good commercial wines will have this also.
If you have a place to get to 55* How long would it take????

wade said:
Around 34* for a few weeks.
If I use an old refrig... how long 3 weeks... 4 weeks...
and I could only do one carboy at a time... would this foul my test...
I can't do all three at the same time!!!

I made a batch of 'Orchard Breezin - Citrus Ice Sauvignon Blanc'.I did not post that batch as it was really simple and no problems reading the directions. I went to bottle it but it was not clear. I put it in my temperature controlled freezer at 34 degrees for about 2 weeks. It was nice and clear when I went to bottle it again. All the sediment was nicely packed at the bottom. I got 24 750ml and 8 375ml bottles out of it. The crash cooling works great.

I do 3 weeks at the coldest setting (which is around 29-30 degrees accord to the therm I have in there). I put vodka in the airlock, otherwise it will freeze. As long as you do all three the same length of time and at the same temp, it shouldn't mess up your test. I can get two in my extra fridge but it's a tight fit.

Jackie said:
I do 3 weeks at the coldest setting (which is around 29-30 degrees accord to the therm I have in there). I put vodka in the airlock, otherwise it will freeze. As long as you do all three the same length of time and at the same temp, it shouldn't mess up your test. I can get two in my extra fridge but it's a tight fit.
Thanks for the help!!!! I might can get 2 in my fridge... I'm going to try...

I don't honestly think you need to worry about cold stabilizing Amarone wine. So what if there is a crystal or two in the bottom of the bottle. I would worry more about dropping out a bit of acid I didn't want to get rid of. If it were a white that was tart, I might go ahead and do it, but not the Amarone! The Mosti Amarone in general is a very good wine. The Rennaissance kit was the one I got Gold with in the Winemaker Magazine Competition- One out of 10 medals for Mosti in all categories.

appleman said:
I don't honestly think you need to worry about cold stabilizing Amarone wine. So what if there is a crystal or two in the bottom of the bottle. I would worry more about dropping out a bit of acid I didn't want to get rid of. If it were a white that was tart, I might go ahead and do it, but not the Amarone! The Mosti Amarone in general is a very good wine. The Rennaissance kit was the one I got Gold with in the Winemaker Magazine Competition- One out of 10 medals for Mosti in all categories.
Thanks Rich!! How long to age them??? I can keep them between 55 and 60... I need to get a so2 test kit!!!

Darryl,
Any decisions on time for bulk-aging your Amarone wines? Planned a bottling date yet?

What about your 3-kit Barolo test? Have you started that one yet?

Thanks for any updates,
Bart

Latest posts

Back