Mosti Mondiale All Juice Gewürztraminer won't clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmo1

Reaction score
Help! Second week after clarification and the wine is still very cloudy. Some sediment on the bottom of the carboy, but not the typical amount. During clarification, I degassed for 5 minutes with a drill powered whip, added the clarifiers per instruction and the wine remains cloudy. This is a first for me, so Icould usesome recommendations on how to proceed please.

If you only used the drill for 5 minutes, it probably isn't degassed enough yet to drop sediment properly. Raise the temps to 75 if possible, and do two or three more five minute degassings. That should get it done and it will clear. Also keep the speed of the drill down a bit. If you go too fast, you will only add gas and not degas.

Salmo, did you add pectic enzyme? Can you tell us if you did anything else to the juice and what was your starting sg. One other thing out of curiosity where did you get your juice at? The reason I am asking is because I just started some of this juice myself two weeks ago. I am planning on blending it with Riesling. As a matter of fact I was going to pick up some more this week but got blasted by the snow storm. I got mine at Walkers.

Dan, it is a Mosti kit so you dont need to use enzymes. I agree with appleman on degassing. Ive had that happen to me a few times before I finally got ticked off and bought a vacuum pump to do the dirty work.

Ok, I miss read it. Reading all juice I assumed it was from a winery. Duhhhh!
smiley29.gif

You didn't by chance add the fining agents in reverse order did you?

Keep it warm like said. If you have a Vacuvin try degassing with one of those if you don't have a pump. They work very well if you get a good seal.

Where is the juice from on this kit?

I made sure the fining agents were added in the correct order.
Bought thekit from The Winemaker's Toy Store - George has never steered me wrong.
The batch is currently in the basement next to a batch of MM Masters Viognier, which became crystal clear in one week. I will try more degassing and warming it up some.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had a CC Viognier that was a Some Beach to get clear. Its the only wine (red or white) that didn't fall clear in 72 hours after adding the fining agents. It took almost 2 months and a 2nd round of Super Kleer but it did end up crystal clear in the end.

I would just get it warm first and see what happens. What temp was the wine when you degassed as cooler temps could have been the problem. If its not around 75* then it wont degas well resulting in a wine that wont clear well.

Goodfella said:
My advise= Time Time Time...

It will be OK. Cover it up and walk away....

Hey! That's my line!!!
And very true in most cases, but I do agree with temps being around 75 and more time degassing if you want to push the wine into the bottle.

It was around 70 deg when I degassed and cleared. It spent almost a month fermenting out. I relocated the caroboy to the furnace room which stays around 70 to 75 deg. I am in no hurry to bottle this one, just surprised it did not clear after the first week. I will let it sit for a while and drink a few of my older wines. . .

That is your line vcasey!!!! You know I have already given you all credit for it (on another post).

It's the greatest line, and greatest advise in wine making.

vcasey rules!!!

Hey Craig (Salmo1)

Have you tasted a little of this wine yet? And has it started to clear for you?

This is the kit I want to order in the next week. Hoping to hear good things about it.

Thanks

Bill

Racked this baby last week to drive out more gas and that seemed to do the trick. Have a nice clear amber color now.

BillK - You won't go wrong with this kit. Even though it is still very green, this has a great flavor and mouthfeel.

That dang C02 will do it every time. Its why lots of us use vacuum degassing of some sort as it takes it one step beyond the drill and gets it all out!

Latest posts

Back