Cloudy after back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hum, everyone's different, personally i always add sugar just before i bottle, i use a carboy stirrer, it is a stainless steel rod, with 2 folding plastic wings at the bottom, the plastic wings are replaceable, it goes into a drill, i can dissolve sugar very quickly in my wine, check SG and taste as i go,when all suits me, i bottle right then and there,
Dawg
Dawg, I thought the recommended procedure was to wait for a week after backsweetening to bottle to reduce the risk of re-fermentation? Am I wrong in that?...............................Dizzy

Val, wouldn't using simple syrup eliminate the issue of dissolving/not dissolving sugar? Your thoughts?................................Dizzy
It certainly would. It adds a tiny bit more volume (if you don’t like topping up with water, you might not want to add water this way either), and I just find it to be a pain, and quicker and easier to stir in the sugar.

Dawg, I thought the recommended procedure was to wait for a week after backsweetening to bottle to reduce the risk of re-fermentation? Am I wrong in that?...............................Dizzy
I’m not Dawg (though when I grow up, I want to be just like him 😉), but he likes it when I answer for him, right @hounddawg? Hahaha. You are not wrong DizzyIzzy, but Dawg makes so much of this, he knows exactly how it will go. He’s also left it in the carboy much longer than most, probably, so he knows it’s done fermenting. Plus I’m sure it is long gone before it has a chance to do anything bad. Did I get that pretty close Dawg?

that is correct, but i clear mine, bulk age, then before i bottle i add potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. add dry sugar stirring with a carboy stirrer, then bottle. you are correct on the procedure, but at my own risk i bottle at sweetening, which is a bad habit, and i have no doubt i will pay the piper someday,
Dawg

I’m not Dawg (though when I grow up, I want to be just like him 😉), but he likes it when I answer for him, right @hounddawg? Hahaha. You are not wrong DizzyIzzy, but Dawg makes so much of this, he knows exactly how it will go. He’s also left it in the carboy much longer than most, probably, so he knows it’s done fermenting. Plus I’m sure it is long gone before it has a chance to do anything bad. Did I get that pretty close Dawg?
we be twins,,,
K-Dawg

I'll answer for Dawg too 🤣🤣🤣

Actually I'll share my method...I add potassium Metabsulfite and sorbate, backsweeten and add finings all on the same day. Then I let it clear for however long that takes (usually around a week), then rack, filter, and bottle all on the same day.

since i age everything including skeeter pee, albeit at different lengths of time, that allows me to be sure of ferment end, and i do not use a wine whip, i use a stirrer that dissolves the sugar for sure every time i add sugar, which without a proper degassing will cost you instantly.
Dawg

when i add sugar everything is done bulk aging, wine is polished , degassed everything, my pump is set up to filter every racking,, of course the vacuum degas's at every rack as well, and my bottle side filters as well, all on top of using time, patience, AKA bulk aging
Dawg

there are more ways to craft your wine then can be counted, the trick is to learn from others mistakes, yet that still leaves more ways ,,than can be counted, shucks i'm like a duck i wake up in a new pond every morning, i by bulk aging eliminates, in my narrow mind, KCCam got most of the brains, i don't craft a wine, then want it bottled soon, i make skeeter pee two fold, sleep & kinda quick drinker, yet since i let it age for a few weeks, well that's why i got 10 cases of skeeter pee behind my recliner .
Dawg

Latest posts

Back